Officer Kim Potter Charged With Second Degree Manslaughter In The Wright Shooting

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You Neo Nazis didn't have the same presumption of innocence for Daunte Wright.

I'm sorry you're so confused that you have become completely disconnected from reality. That statement really just makes no sense. If he had gone peacefully, he would have gotten his day in court. I wish he would have, so we wouldn't have to deal with the crocodile tears of leftists screaming racism, or even more rioting and looting as though they were justified.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Lay off the meth you gotta get up early and get your mom milk in the morning.
1605384209036m.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Just learned something that CNN isn't feeding to their NPC audience. Apparently the tasers used by many cities across the country, including Minneapolis, are actually designed to look and feel like hand guns. That's the dumbest thing I think I've heard today, aside from @Netsua 3:16's messiah complex rantings.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I just don't see the weights and feel of the weapons being close. That would set off alarms in my brain that would cause me to hesitate, and at least glance at what's in my hand.
You see the video?
It convinced me she really thought she had a taser in her hand.
@newfie has it right...adrenaline was pumping in full throttle.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You see the video?
It convinced me she really thought she had a taser in her hand.
@newfie has it right...adrenaline was pumping in full throttle.

No, I was working off the assumption that no one would be stupid enough to design a taser to look and feel like an actual gun. That idea is so phenomenally idiotic it never would have occurred to me.

oldngray

nowhere special
No, I was working off the assumption that no one would be stupid enough to design a taser to look and feel like an actual gun. That idea is so phenomenally idiotic it never would have occurred to me.
Feeling similar is a lot worse than having a color difference since it will often be grabbed without looking

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I don't believe that a cop was unable to tell the difference between a taser and a loaded pistol. Aside from that, I expect we'll find out what the results of the investigation are. There is no question that she caused his death, now it's a matter of determining whether it was justified or not.

26 years of experience does not negate the stress of those situations and the fact that people makes mistakes when the adrenaline is pumping.

I just don't see the weights and feel of the weapons being close. That would set off alarms in my brain that would cause me to hesitate, and at least glance at what's in my hand.
Gentlemen, let me preface this with two things; first, I don't think Ofc Potter should be culpable for murder. I think it truly was an accident. She most definitely should be terminated for the mistake. Second, as a former training officer, former tactical operator, and (very unfortunately) as an officer who has had to use lethal force, I can tell you from experience that once an adrenaline dump has occurred, any and all common sense, fine motor skils, and cognitive reasoning / ability goes out the window. So do most of your five basic senses.

Muscle memory and training immediately kick in and she instinctively went for her primary instead of the Taser like she had apparently intended. From the video, you can hear her yell, "Taser Taser Taser!!!" She then squeezed the trigger one time which is how a Taser is deployed. There is no recoil, no automatic reload of the darts. A second deployment of the Taser would require a change of cartridge or what is called a drive stun (the pressing of the nose of the Taser directly to the skin or surface of a combatant). Her fine motor skills were gone and she did not have the cognitive ability to differentiate between the primary and the Taser. This is where the adrenaline dump took over.

It mattered not that the Taser was yellow or weighed about 7oz. and her Glock would have weighed around 1.5 to 2lbs and was all black. Your 5 senses at this point are diminished and she would not have been able to tell the weight difference or seen the color due to intense tunnel vision. The gun could have weighed 50lbs and she would have never felt it. Same reason you hear about people lifting cars or ripping doors off hinges, the super adrenaline dump heightens other things.

The adrenaline dump is so intense and so quick that it is over within a few seconds. The officer was coming down from her dump and that is how she realized she actually shot the subject with a lethal firearm and not a non-lethal Taser.

vantexan

Gentlemen, let me preface this with two things; first, I don't think Ofc Potter should be culpable for murder. I think it truly was an accident. She most definitely should be terminated for the mistake. Second, as a former training officer, former tactical operator, and (very unfortunately) as an officer who has had to use lethal force, I can tell you from experience that once an adrenaline dump has occurred, any and all common sense, fine motor skils, and cognitive reasoning / ability goes out the window. So do most of your five basic senses.

Muscle memory and training immediately kick in and she instinctively went for her primary instead of the Taser like she had apparently intended. From the video, you can hear her yell, "Taser Taser Taser!!!" She then squeezed the trigger one time which is how a Taser is deployed. There is no recoil, no automatic reload of the darts. A second deployment of the Taser would require a change of cartridge or what is called a drive stun (the pressing of the nose of the Taser directly to the skin or surface of a combatant). Her fine motor skills were gone and she did not have the cognitive ability to differentiate between the primary and the Taser. This is where the adrenaline dump took over.

It mattered not that the Taser was yellow or weighed about 7oz. and her Glock would have weighed around 1.5 to 2lbs and was all black. Your 5 senses at this point are diminished and she would not have been able to tell the weight difference or seen the color due to intense tunnel vision. The gun could have weighed 50lbs and she would have never felt it. Same reason you hear about people lifting cars or ripping doors off hinges, the super adrenaline dump heightens other things.

The adrenaline dump is so intense and so quick that it is over within a few seconds. The officer was coming down from her dump and that is how she realized she actually shot the subject with a lethal firearm and not a non-lethal Taser.
She may not have intended murder, but as a police officer she's responsible for her actions which in this case resulted in the suspect's death. For sure she's looking at manslaughter. If you're going to wear the uniform you've got to be willing to accept responsibility for your actions.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
She may not have intended murder, but as a police officer she's responsible for her actions which in this case resulted in the suspect's death. For sure she's looking at manslaughter. If you're going to wear the uniform you've got to be willing to accept responsibility for your actions.
They overcharged.
I suspect that will change though.

vantexan

They overcharged.
I suspect that will change though.
I don't know what the charges are but if you're going to draw a weapon on anyone you're responsible for what you do. If it's ruled justifiable then the officer is ok. But every police shooting requires desk duty or leave while the shooting is investigated. They put those rules in for a reason.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

I don't know what the charges are but if you're going to draw a weapon on anyone you're responsible for what you do. If it's ruled justifiable then the officer is ok. But every police shooting requires desk duty or leave while the shooting is investigated. They put those rules in for a reason.
This case is going to be a historical one. I do not disagree with you, an officer should be responsible for their actions but I think this case does not demonstrate negligence nor culpability. Yeah, there is no question the guy shouldn't have been killed but I think to prove she was negligent, they would have to prove that she did not follow training protocols. From the brief video, she followed protocols for a Taser deployment. Her belt was arranged consistent with what (most) agencies teach, and she fired just one time which, to me at least, indicates that she thought she was deploying a Taser. Of course, this is all just armchair QBing...there might be something else that is uncovered by other videos testimony.

Box Ox

I think to prove she was negligent, they would have to prove that she did not follow training protocols. From the brief video, she followed protocols for a Taser deployment. Her belt was arranged consistent with what (most) agencies teach, and she fired just one time which, to me at least, indicates that she thought she was deploying a Taser. Of course, this is all just armchair QBing...there might be something else that is uncovered by other videos testimony.
If your utility belt is properly arranged and you've followed the steps for taser deployment, but the taser you're supposed to be holding while doing so is actually your gun....are you really following training protocols?