ON TOPIC:Mostly For Inside Guys:Cleaning Spills with Integrity

Daf

For Discussion:

Recently while in a facility I noticed a pile of damp speedy dry in the middle of main thoroughfare.

It was left there for hours and it was walked through and driven through until it was pulverized and spread throughout a large section of the building.

Of the many individuals who walked and drove through this contamination at least 10 had to be management. Among the management was PT, FT and Manager level employees.

There were also many hourly employees who walked and drove right through it. Among the hourly employees were PT, FT, Shop Stewards, Designated Responders.

What should have or could have been done differently to adhere to UPS Safe Work Methods and training?

INYO: Any OSHA violations here?

Serious, "On Topic" replies only please.
Just as bad as the facilities that just bag up their leakers and ship them on to the next building. Management does not care as long as they make production!! And that means that they need to understaff the clerks!

rod

Retired 22 years
Unless its changed since I left when it comes to safety all UPS is concerned about is weather all the proper forms and procedures have been posted, filled out and mentioned at an AM. After those requirement are met actually implementing them is optional-----------unless an audit is expected.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Where safety is involved, if you're not part of the solution (and I assume if it sat around for hours and hours spread all around the building that you were not) then are you part of the problem?
I made no comment on what I did or did not do in the above example. Nor will I.

That is a response if the above comment was directed at me.

Integrity

Binge Poster
My thoughts exactly! He probably did nothing. His first post mentioned 10 management people plus countless hourlies walked past the spill. It's a lot easier for him to watch and critique what others do or don't do.
I will not comment on what I did or did not do.

The purpose of the thread was for discussion only.

To discuss what should have or could have been done differently or if opinions as to if OSHA violations may have existed in the example.

Integrity

Binge Poster
So then for discussion purposes, what do you feel should have or could have been done to adhere to UPS Safe Work Methods or training in the stated example.

Also, what is your opinion as to whether OSHA violations may have existed in the example.
Many failures most likely led to this situation.

Many things should have and could have been done differently.

How about you?

Arguably there probably existed an OSHA violation or 2 in this situation.

You?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Just as bad as the facilities that just bag up their leakers and ship them on to the next building. Management does not care as long as they make production!! And that means that they need to understaff the clerks!
I don't disagree, just as bad but not the same example.

If you would like to PM me your example I can probably put together a discussion thread for that issue, or better yet why don't you create a discussion thread to discuss it.

The Dark Knight

Seems par for the course in our preload. When leakers are reported the leaking package is removed..... at managements earliest convenience. Meanwhile the actual spill and the other affected packages get ignored till the end of the shift. Sometimes not even then. And when they do actually clean it up they seem to like to leave the absorbent in order to get everyone off the clock quicker. What should be done differently? Management should be less cheap and let these essential jobs be done immediately and properly. I understand that is costs money but you can not close house with safety hazards in the building potentially damaging customer property. While I do not know OSHA laws that well I am certain there is a violation there, and it violates the safety article of our contract demanding that spills be cleaned up as soon as they are reported.

bbsam

Staff member
I made no comment on what I did or did not do in the above example. Nor will I.

That is a response if the above comment was directed at me.
So safety is merely a discussion topic for you? Something to be observed and reported on?

I really don't understand your reluctance to include discussion of your own actions or inaction.

Integrity

Binge Poster
So safety is merely a discussion topic for you? Something to be observed and reported on?

I really don't understand your reluctance to include discussion of your own actions or inaction.
This discussion thread is not a general safety discussion thread but one about a specific example but yes, it is merely a discussion topic when on the BC UPS Discussions Forum.

You really should understand, but sorry you don't.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Seems par for the course in our preload. When leakers are reported the leaking package is removed..... at managements earliest convenience. Meanwhile the actual spill and the other affected packages get ignored till the end of the shift. Sometimes not even then. And when they do actually clean it up they seem to like to leave the absorbent in order to get everyone off the clock quicker. What should be done differently? Management should be less cheap and let these essential jobs be done immediately and properly. I understand that is costs money but you can not close house with safety hazards in the building potentially damaging customer property. While I do not know OSHA laws that well I am certain there is a violation there, and it violates the safety article of our contract demanding that spills be cleaned up as soon as they are reported.
Great input! Thanks!

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Many failures most likely led to this situation.

Many things should have and could have been done differently.

How about you?

Arguably there probably existed an OSHA violation or 2 in this situation.

You?
Yes, many failures led to the situation, but will you be accepting responsibility for your inaction?