ON TOPIC:Mostly For Inside Guys:Cleaning Spills with Integrity

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity's posted about water as I was writing that reply.

Regardless, a non hazardous absorbent used on a non hazardous substance - would not be a hazard. Unless Integrity has an actual absorbent label or MSDS sheet or a company policy to post then I'll assume it's directions say something to the effect of "to be used on XXX, but not limited to...."

I still cannot conclude that the hypothetical center has a poor safety culture when dealing with spills.
Not sure what brand of absorbent was used but the following one used at some buildings and often at the building where this incident took place.

Attachments

• 112532.pdf
    63.9 KB · Views: 177

Integrity

Binge Poster
Although we don't know who responded to the spill and we don't know what the spill was we do know some things about the initial response/ cleanup attempt.

Let's first assume a non hazardous spill, let's say for discussion sake the liquid was a water spill.

Let's also say this was determined by the gallon water bottle found broken open at the location of the spill.

This being the case the following becomes known:

The best method for cleanup was not used. Speedy dry is not the best clean up for a simple water spill, but it will work.

The speedy dry, not the best practice but ok to use, was used improperly.

This improper use of speedy dry arguably created a more hazardous, more out of compliance and a more serious violation than existed by the initial spill.

To be continued...

Another thing that can be considered known from the original post which is a real life, non-hypothetical incident is the supervisor in charge of the area where the incident occured, for unknown reasons did not follow the proper methods for post tripping the area.

Check list item #5 of post trip methods is in part to check that spills are cleaned up.

Can only speculate at this time, but possible reasons for not following methods could be:

1. Sup could be ignorant of area.
2. Sup could be ignorant of methods. Not properly trained.
3. Sup could be disregarding the methods and just filling out the DECR without actually checking everything.

Other possibilities? Please add.

To be continued...

Last edited:

UPS Preloader

@Integrity Going back to a thread that was deleted where you asked what question you didn't answer... I don't know if you saw my answer before the thread was deleted, so I'm reposting it here.

My comments/questions were:

So then for discussion purposes, what do you feel should have or could have been done to adhere to UPS Safe Work Methods or training in the stated example.

Your answer was as follows:

Many failures most likely led to this situation.

Many things should have and could have been done differently.

How about you?

As you can see, I did not ask you what you did. I asked you what you feel should have been done and you did not answer the question. As usual, you turned it around and asked me "How about you?" Once again, I am not going provide you with what I feel should be done when you won't even answer the question in your own thread.

Clearly what your describing is an emergency situation. Evacuation procedures should have been initiated immediately. Next time hit the fire alarm, and call the FBI hotline - 1-800-225-5324

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I have come to the conclusion that Cleaning Spills with Integrity should be done only by Integrity . It is his mess and he should clean it up himself.

Integrity

Binge Poster
@Integrity Going back to a thread that was deleted where you asked what question you didn't answer... I don't know if you saw my answer before the thread was deleted, so I'm reposting it here.

My comments/questions were:

So then for discussion purposes, what do you feel should have or could have been done to adhere to UPS Safe Work Methods or training in the stated example.

Your answer was as follows:

As you can see, I did not ask you what you did. I asked you what you feel should have been done and you did not answer the question. As usual, you turned it around and asked me "How about you?" Once again, I am not going provide you with what I feel should be done when you won't even answer the question in your own thread.
1. The 1st person who saw the spill should have not touced it, left the area, and notified their supervisor.