On Topic: UPS attempting to terminate newer driver after filing grievances

WorknLateHuh

Here's a very good useful phrase you need to take to heart at ups:learn to pick and choose your battles wisely.

Also I want you to consider instead of filing 800 grievances on harassment, to learn and use the art of the union protest letter. Every time that ORS says something inappropriate or harassing, write it out in letter form for your BA to send a copy to the labor manager on your behalf.

I'm not saying don't file. File the important grievances. And next time they do this and there will be a next time, you'll walk in with a stack of protest letters that were filed to the labor manager to show a pattern of behavior. That will help your case better than filing grievances on every contract infraction.

Ups only needs two things to build a case against you: time and patience. So follow the methods, play the game well and act as if they are always behind you because with technology, they are.

Drop the fight all end all attitude too. You're very new and if you plan on making this a career, learn more and speak less. I'm not saying don't stand up for yourself. I'm saying learn to do it in a way where you aren't fired every week.

Because they've done it before to many others.

Learn your contract, but learn to be subtle in what you choose to do.

Hope this helps

This should be mailed to EVERY new driver in letter form from the union. Well put

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Lol we've fought this fight and lived to tell about it but the op knows better.
The funny thing is that the Pampers (OP) talked to lawyers and read the labor laws.
Read the contract instead.
They followed Pampers for 3 days, built the case, and caught him red handed.
Cardinal sin = Termination..... UPS is not in the wrong.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The funny thing is that the Pampers (OP) talked to lawyers and read the labor laws.
Yeah lawyering up immediatly is not the best move in this case c

image (9).gif

I stole this gif from @Future

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Yeah, cause drivers have taken a swing at Center Managers before and still didn't lose their job when physical violence was involved. But I'll lose mine over ten minutes.

I can't believe you and Gumby are serious.

Gumby, Heff and brownslave all actually have really good advice and know how to play the game at ups. Drop the attitude with them and read what they're saying. It's valuable for longevity at ups.

Oh and ignore Dave(upstate). He was rejected for management twice and will always side with the company. He's a "company " man who hates the union but loves the pay/benefits and protection it provides

oldngray

nowhere special

Agreed. I have seen people fired for stealing time in similar cases. You are allowed to use the bathroom but if you start abusing it to take extra breaks you need to expect consequences.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Not young in fact. And definitely old enough to know when I'm being maliciously attacked over unfounded claims. A leech has more backbone than anyone in management at my Center. Used to be in journalism, an investigation I did in Arizona led to the mayor of Phoenix promptly resigning after we proved he was trying to break up the local city bus driver's union and give the transportation contracts to his mistresses employer.

Your P.I. skills are worthless in this case.

Let me tell you a story....have a seat
f7iXSQOy6boys.gif

Honestly, I'll be truthful here.
I've been fired before. Did something stupid.
Hated the center manager, but he used his better P.I. skills to get me.

I sat home for 2 weeks not knowing if I'd work again.
Got my second chance, and make sure I don't make mistakes.
You have to be the bigger man and learn from it.
I did and so can you !

This job is worth the hassle if you remember you are ALWAYS being watched.

Your P.I. skills are worthless in this case.

Let me tell you a story....have a seat
f7iXSQOy6boys.gif

Honestly, I'll be truthful here.
I've been fired before. Did something stupid.
Hated the center manager, but he used his better P.I. skills to get me.

I sat home for 2 weeks not knowing if I'd work again.
Got my second chance, and make sure I don't make mistakes.
You have to be the bigger man and learn from it.
I did and so can you !

This job is worth the hassle if you remember you are ALWAYS being watched.
Winner-Trophy-165mm-697-p.jpg

Dr.Brownz

No one is preventing you from taking a leak.

The discussion here is whether you can take a leak on company time.

Yes you can; OSHA will support that position. A rural driver could technically break at any point in the route to get to a public bathroom. UPS's fake rules don't matter, only OSHA's rules.

Dr.Brownz

Document every thing that sups says or does. It is kind of late now that you are termed but that is the best way to fight back. File a grievance as documentation. That way when it goes to panel the panel see's a long history of harassment. You'll be back though, they are just trying to scare you. Ride it out and DEMAND BACK PAY. Do not let them try to take the back pay. GET IT ALL PLUS ALL 9.5 violations,.

over9five

Staff member
Omg.... Had to skip the last few pages. We're talking about grown MEN using a bathroom. Your management team is on a huge power trip.
My gut feeling is they're going to come out of this looking like fools.
This wouldn't happen here. I can't even imagine some sup telling me I have to pee off the clock! I can almost hear my laughter.
I think your management team is going to get a reeming from above at the end of all this.
Yikes....

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Omg.... Had to skip the last few pages. We're talking about grown MEN using a bathroom. Your management team is on a huge power trip.
My gut feeling is they're going to come out of this looking like fools.
This wouldn't happen here. I can't even imagine some sup telling me I have to pee off the clock! I can almost hear my laughter.
I think your management team is going to get a reeming from above at the end of all this.
Yikes....
P.S., next time they ask you for a sales lead, I want you to say "I had to pee, I think I left it on the urinal".
UPS doesn't care he used the bathroom.
They care he took 40 minutes for a 30 minute lunch break, three days in a row
He was followed : caught stealing time : discipline warranted

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Several weeks ago I had a really light day and was done with all of my deliveries and the bulk of my pickups by 1415. Took my lunch from 1415-1500 and then sent an ODS saying that I was done and that I could help if needed. Never heard a word from them. Sat at home until 1630, finished up my pickups, punched out at 1800. No one ever said a word.

The key was sending the ODS. Had I chosen not to do that and they noticed my 1.5 hours of inactivity I would have most likely been terminated.