Organized(?) tracking caos

Ecuador

Banned
For a week I tracked my package (1Z8623376742859279)
from China to Ecuador and everything seemed to be fine:

Guayaquil, Ecuador16/12/201312:07 P.M.Warehouse Scan
Guayaquil, Ecuador12/12/20134:07 P.M.Import Scan
Shenzhen, China04/12/20137:09 P.M.Origin Scan

I phoned the local agency in Loja on the 17th and a lady told me the consignment should be on it's way to Loja, where I could fetch it.

But what a shock in the morning of the 18th:

Guayaquil, Ecuador18/12/20137:40 A.M.A valid tax identification number or deferment number is required for clearance. / Package abandoned by the sender and the receiver.
Guayaquil, Ecuador16/12/201312:07 P.M.Warehouse Scan
Guayaquil, Ecuador12/12/20134:07 P.M.Import Scan
Guayaquil, Ecuador11/12/20133:30 P.M.A valid tax identification number or deferment number is required for clearance. / UPS will contact the sender and/or receiver regarding the status or disposition of this package.

Now look carefully!
They added on the 18th a status of the 11th, requesting a identification number (after the Import scan, which accordingly to UPS tracking explanation means:This scan is an electronic record indicating the shipment has cleared import procedures in the receiving country.).
And in addition another status that I, or the sender had abandoned the package!
The half day I spent to get somebody of UPS in Quito on the line, phoned the (very friendly) staff in the US. At least, after a dozend of unsuccessul attempts somebody picked up the phone in Quito/ Ecuador and asked for my ID, Phone number and email.
Again I tracked the parcel, but no change in the status.
I thought everything is more or less fine until the 20th. I received a message from the sender of the package explaining, that she received a call from UPS China I shall pick up my parcel until the 26th otherwise it will be returned or destroyed.
Again I tried to reach UPS in Ecuador, without any success. At least a service agent from Mexico gave me some email addresses of some guys of the local distributor and I wrote a "bulk mail" to them, explaining everything again. At last one of them, asked three other colleagues in forwarding my mail, to assist me. That's all I heared.
Now, while compiling this post, I tracked again and found they changed again the status to:

Guayaquil, Ecuador20/12/20132:56 P.M.Warehouse Scan

I really wonder, what comes next! In the package is an inverter for my solar system and hardly needed. Of course people here are in Christmas and Holiday mood since days, and it seems to me that they are not a bit concerned about the communication needs of their customers. But what makes me really angry and sure, to not anymore make use of the services of UPS is the obscure methode to "implement" old tracking status which they do for whatsoever reason! If they would say hey man it's Christman business, I could understand, but this silence kills my nervs!

Ecuador

Banned
Aha UPS customer communication is now under control of Governments customs, good to read this... Of course, no other answer expected!

Ecuador

Banned
"Somebody owes some import duties."
In Ecuador imports up to 400US$ and wight below 4kg is duty free. Value 178US$, weight 2.8kg. More explanations?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
"Somebody owes some import duties."
In Ecuador imports up to 400US$ and wight below 4kg is duty free. Value 178US$, weight 2.8kg. More explanations?

Maybe it's worth more than the declared value and someone in customs caught it?

You won't get any real answers here. This forum is comprised of part and full time (some of us retired) employees that pretty much only move boxes from point A to point B.

Try the UPS Facebook page, and let us know how that works out.

Ecuador

Banned
The value of a 1000W grid tie inverter is easy to find out even for an Ecuadorian Customs agent. Of course I didn't declare a lower value as the limit is US$ 400
I already found the local "manager" of UPS Guayaquil on Facebook:
/jacson.pacheco.7

No wonder nobody answers calls:
Since minimum 3 hours at a wedding party. Poor guys in the US working your a... off, serving your clients.
Tranquilo that's the motto here!

Ecuador

Banned
great, your final results in geography when leaving school after grade nine? Just don't stop at the Darien gap, some of your sort get lost there:clown:

Ecuador

Banned
ust head south to the equator then follow the sun.
as the countries name suggest.

By the way, as I got deliveries from UPS in Germany, Namibia and Brazil, I know about the differences in terms of service. And I know a bit of parcel scanning, sorting, distributing... stealing (worked for some years for DPD and Trans-o-flex Germany in loss prevention)

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS does have a customs brokerage service but that will work with each countries custom officials. It looks like this is a problem with the paperwork and nothing the delivery dept of UPS can control. And Brown Cafe is NOT an official UPS site, just many employees will be here to possibly give advice.

Ecuador

Banned
of course no Ecuadorian employees I assume, as they more enjoy fiestas rather than to give customers advice. Kinda employees are here? Drivers, Clerks, Supervisors, Managers?

Ecuador

Banned
oldngray, if pay sucks but the hours are great, just try out Ecuador. However don't expect quick deliveries from outside the country via UPS, Correos del Ecuador are even faster and easier (got about 30 deliveries this year all within three weeks)

Ecuador

Banned
praise UPS:
Guayaquil, Ecuador20/12/20137:26 P.M.Departure Scan

thanks all here your more or less well-intentioned advice!