ORION discipline

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I just follow it until I will miss a business. The only breaks I have are service related. I got tired of all the directives. I try tyo not miss commmercial and I follow it otherwise to a T. I am usually 90% and +10 miles. If I am plus 10 miles not following it, I am yelled at. Screw it. You want it you got it.
it reduces my stress level to ZERO doing it the way they want it. I wish we'd had ORION and telematics 20 years ago!

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
From the Journal of Problem Solving. (Volume 1, no. 1 Fall 2006)

Considering the classic Travelling Salesman Problem, as the number of nodes or stops is increased, the number of possible solutions increases factorially: (n - 1)!/2

That means for Orion, a 5 point array or 5 stop route has 12 possible solutions.
A 10 stop route has 181,440 solutions, and a 15 stop route has (4 x 10)10 possible solutions.

Despite the apparent intractability of TSP,research into human performance with visually presented TSP problems show that participants are capable of solving the arrays to near optimal accuracy with a minimum of cognitive effort.

Also consider the work of Dr. Sanjeer Arora, Theoretical Computer Scientist with Princeton, MIT and UC Berkley. He found that regardless of the algorithm's elegance and complexity or the computer used for calculations, any solution reached will be no better than one arrived at by the human brain.

In fact, a computer's solution would be no better than a 89% optimization of what a person could do.

And it takes the computer a lot longer to reach its solution.

See:
MIC 99 - 111 Metaheuristics International Conference
(Analyzing the Run-Time Behavior of Iterated

Local Search for the TSP)

Bottom line: Orion is useful. But if UPS is interested in mileage and time savings, nothing beats the human brain.

Dr.Brownz

If they made some kind of device that just showed a map with all the deliveries for the day pinpointed you could figure out your route for the day in about 30 seconds

laststop

with time of delivery for each stop and miles to be driven
Belive it or not Orion wanted me to drive 4.5 miles in three minutes in the country that's only about 85 mph on two lane. Jetpack or magic wand needed
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1409796885.239519.jpg

Sent using BrownCafe App

rpoz11

On Orion now for 1-1/2 weeks
No Orion training, just one ride with the Orion person and the magic tablet to verify each stop.
Now, due to being overloaded with more work and stops from another route 10 drivers away, now being discipline for not following 'methods'.
By following Orion the best I could, was not able to deliver business to commit times.
Manager was unable to produce any actual training documents to show proof of knowledge.
As well, not one management person instructed me on any needs to this route, commit times, nor any other requirement of this route.
I went out blind on the route.

What is happening is that I can't meet the demands of Orion, currently as describe above.
Management is retaliating with warning letters without talk to's thru progression.

It appears that with Orion, discipline is how they plan to make this work.

Still awaiting for the Union to stand up against this.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What is happening is that I can't meet the demands of Orion.

So what.

Management is retaliating with warning letters without talk to's thru progression.

File a grievance, on every warning letter.

It appears that with Orion, discipline is how they plan to make this work.

Then.... follow Orion.

Watch how quick, they give up.

Still awaiting for the Union to stand up against this.

We're waiting on you.... to file a grievance.

-Bug-

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
From the Journal of Problem Solving. (Volume 1, no. 1 Fall 2006)

Considering the classic Travelling Salesman Problem, as the number of nodes or stops is increased, the number of possible solutions increases factorially: (n - 1)!/2

That means for Orion, a 5 point array or 5 stop route has 12 possible solutions.
A 10 stop route has 181,440 solutions, and a 15 stop route has (4 x 10)10 possible solutions.

Despite the apparent intractability of TSP,research into human performance with visually presented TSP problems show that participants are capable of solving the arrays to near optimal accuracy with a minimum of cognitive effort.

Also consider the work of Dr. Sanjeer Arora, Theoretical Computer Scientist with Princeton, MIT and UC Berkley. He found that regardless of the algorithm's elegance and complexity or the computer used for calculations, any solution reached will be no better than one arrived at by the human brain.

In fact, a computer's solution would be no better than a 89% optimization of what a person could do.

And it takes the computer a lot longer to reach its solution.

See:
MIC 99 - 111 Metaheuristics International Conference
(Analyzing the Run-Time Behavior of Iterated

Local Search for the TSP)

Bottom line: Orion is useful. But if UPS is interested in mileage and time savings, nothing beats the human brain.
2006? anyways the problem is alot of drivers do mileage loops to boost dispatch, ALOT, hence the hammer falls on all of us

John Stevens

I work as a preloader in the West Sacramento Hub. I was trained by my friend who got me the job, and he had the record misload rate during the last peak season. They split the boxlines. Green and Black are called River City, and Purple and Yellow are called Harbor. Sometimes, we get called in early to load for harbor if someone calls in on Harbor. My friend got called to the Purple line one day, and some higher-up lectured him on Orion. Naturally, we talk to our drivers and they love us. We load the same way, we don't write the full 4 numbers, but we know that our drivers don't want that. River City has never had anybody say anything about Orion. It's not necessary. My drivers get back to their family early. We just load the way we would want it to be loaded if we were driving. Anyway, my buddy was attacked by a higher-up when he was covering for Harbor, and he basically told the person to :censored2: off. Those people have no idea what it's like to load and we know how to load because of our drivers. They couldn't tell us :censored2:. Although, if it comes down to it, yeah, we work for this company. We eventually do what they want. I've overheard the Harbor drivers bitching about Orion. How it makes them take longer and even backtrack sometimes, even though it's supposed to save time. You can't beat the human quality to the company. We know our job, and we know what it takes. No program can beat it, when we communicate. Unless, of course, it really helps us communicate even more. Some drivers and preloaders are :censored2:-heads haha. Keep working hard brothers and sisters.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Drivers are truly STUPID when it comes to this issue. They argue they are not following ORION because it makes no sense. Just follow ORION and shut up. If you have missed business, Oh well you were working as directed. Man some of the battles you guys choose are just retarded.
That is true and when the businesses suffer maybe they will scrap the 25 million project designed by a non driving geek. The complaints will flood in and at some point a wake up call or light bulb will go off and stock will plummet .PATIENCE is my campaign and I hope I have followers .

Last edited:

BigDaddyO8a

That is true and when the businesses suffer maybe they will scrap the 25 million project designed by a non driving geek. The complaints will flood in and at some point a wake up call or light bulb will go off and stock will plummet .PATIENCE is my campaign and I hope I have followers .