ORION dumbest moves- on topic please

Hump dump and roll

When people commented on me being “late” I’d pull the old “don’t blame me I just work here.” It’s now been replaced with “They don’t pay me to fix their poor plan, they pay me to carry out their poor plan.”
With that being said I follow ORION as close to 100% as possible, I’ve been hovering bw 97 and 99.6, and it has relieved so much stress from this job knowing that no matter how late I come in or over allowed I am I’ll always be within trace and mileage acceptance and they can’t do :censored2: about it. This system is free money and if you don’t want it just get on the 9.5 list.

And the dumbest move has been driving the wrong way down a major road.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

They came down on the 100%ers in my center. Basically said it’s following orders with malicious intent. I told my center manager how bad the route was when Orion is on, business deliveries after pickups, first stops on the 8000 etc. and that eventually I would overlook something and have a service failure. he told me to pull over at 2PM and go through and write down the stops I need to get to on a piece of paper so I wouldn’t forget. Basically what the RDO function was for. I’ve been doing RDO in my head. Beat Orion everyday last week by 15-18 miles and by about an hour and a half maybe 60% compliance. I know I shouldn’t, but I hate working stupid. now my numbers magically match what I’ve been putting up. Just waiting to get more stops.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They came down on the 100%ers in my center. Basically said it’s following orders with malicious intent. I told my center manager how bad the route was when Orion is on, business deliveries after pickups, first stops on the 8000 etc. and that eventually I would overlook something and have a service failure. he told me to pull over at 2PM and go through and write down the stops I need to get to on a piece of paper so I wouldn’t forget. Basically what the RDO function was for. I’ve been doing RDO in my head. Beat Orion everyday last week by 15-18 miles and by about an hour and a half maybe 60% compliance. I know I shouldn’t, but I hate working stupid. now my numbers magically match what I’ve been putting up. Just waiting to get more stops.

Ask them when they will add an allowance for sorting the car, or how to code the time. I'm with you, though, I can't bring myself to purposefully do the job poorly, It's their fault the job is harder to do yhe right way, so they'll pay me for the extra time it takes to do it right. But it's still less than if I did it by Orion 100%.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Anybody else have a Saturday Orion compliance route with business pickups? Had 9 pickups today with over 150 pkgs spread between 3 towns at different times throughout the day. Try navigating your already spread out route which repeatedly has you returning to areas you were prevously delivering to earlier in the day; with 9 damn pickups. Today I felt like I drove in circles for 11 hours

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Biggest mistake so far, disabling RDO.

If they wanted you to make smart decisions, they wouldn’t have taken it out.
I think they are hoping for better compliance by removing RDO. Drivers always adapt, and by necessity they will.

Blackadder 2

My experience is it that it gives me a huge headache and won't follow it unless instructed. The minute I'm instructed to follow it, I'm following it 100% until they cry uncle.

It has me passing up stops, going the opposite way from my prevailing direction only to double back and go the right way again. It's just too stupid to put into words.

We have been told to ignore it and do the best we can after the 1st couple of days not being able to shut it off, some drivers were going close to 14 hours with what should be 9 to 10 hours of work.

Basically now we have gone back to loading the stops in the car the way we did before EDD and then working off the shelves.

Pretty sad that the higher ups don't get or just don't care how bad their system is.

born2Bwild

One day last week Orion scheduled 20 long bulky nxd savers to just before 3pm delivery to a business that is also a pickup. The problem if I followed it I would have been out of pickup compliance and Beside I passed by in the morning.

I hate it when they add stops during the sort. Orion never quite figures how to integrate them into the solution. Either that, or my dispatcher just keeps overriding it.

Case in point: last week I covered a route that I have covered before, but I don't know the entire surrounding area very well. My first 10 or so stops were normal, but then it wanted me to drive about 5 miles to begin another section of the route, deliver two stops, then backtrack the 5 miles and deliver 5 or 6 stops, skip a stop that I would be going right past (it had that one at the end of my day for some reason), and pick the "normal" trace back up.

If I had not recognized one of the street names as being on the way to the usual route, I would have ended up running that whole section the way Orion wanted. I ran it the way it should have been run.

Orion saves so many miles, right? :rolleyes:

Barely. If you got nda, savers, and ground. it could be split up into three different stops, separated by pages of other stops. Then if you scan an air, it only shows how many airs left, yada yada
So I go back to a stop later for a few ground pkgs. if you are talking about a bulk stop, scan a ground pkg first.

M

MenInBrown

One of my supervisors told me that Orion optimized the shortest route. He also told me that Orion doesn’t know left and right. I said oh really? If it doesn’t know left from right but it knows the shortest distance, then tell me how it has me going by a stop where I would make a right turn, but has me come back and make a left turn? So it just added the distance of a lane of traffic on me. So it not only doesn’t know left from right but also doesn’t optimize the shortest distance? I got crickets from him. Haven’t heard anything else about running trace from him.

The Driver

I drive.
My neighbor girl said she saw a UPS driver sprinting from and back to the truck yesterday.

Pretty grim. This is gonna cause a spike in injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indecisi0n

When people commented on me being “late” I’d pull the old “don’t blame me I just work here.” It’s now been replaced with “They don’t pay me to fix their poor plan, they pay me to carry out their poor plan.”
With that being said I follow ORION as close to 100% as possible, I’ve been hovering bw 97 and 99.6, and it has relieved so much stress from this job knowing that no matter how late I come in or over allowed I am I’ll always be within trace and mileage acceptance and they can’t do :censored2: about it. This system is free money and if you don’t want it just get on the 9.5 list.

I had a few of those "you're late " customers. While I understood their pain since they were a pickup that would turn around and ship out the same day deliveries I explained it to them like this. The company now tells me where to do and who to deliver to. If you feel it's a problem please call the 800 number and yell at them. Most customers took me up on it but nothing ever came of it. Remember, we don't care about service anymore.

Zesper1

Friday morning I ended up getting tripped up over all he crap in the truck trying to get a 5679 package (residential) for my second stop. Boot laces hooked banding on an avon bundle and i fell forward and bounced off the 6000 shelf, and cut my face just above my lip. Looked like I got in a fistfight with someone.

I called the sup and stated that doing this ODO :censored2: was unsafe, and I wasn’t doing it anymore.

Thank god for the weekend.

Friday morning I ended up getting tripped up over all he crap in the truck trying to get a 5679 package (residential) for my second stop. Boot laces hooked banding on an avon bundle and i fell forward and bounced off the 6000 shelf, and cut my face just above my lip. Looked like I got in a fistfight with someone.

I called the sup and stated that doing this ODO :censored2: was unsafe, and I wasn’t doing it anymore.

Thank god for the weekend.
Sounds like a rookie move,
Digging out a 5679 for your second stop. You should have known when you delivered your 1st stop that you weren’t doing 5679 next.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Sounds like a rookie move,
Digging out a 5679 for your second stop. You should have known when you delivered your 1st stop that you weren’t doing 5679 next.
Absolutely. I don’t even attempt to find a pkg in the 2000 section while delivering my air stops. It’s near impossible.

burco8080

I had a few of those "you're late " customers. While I understood their pain since they were a pickup that would turn around and ship out the same day deliveries I explained it to them like this. The company now tells me where to do and who to deliver to. If you feel it's a problem please call the 800 number and yell at them. Most customers took me up on it but nothing ever came of it. Remember, we don't care about service anymore.

That’s exactly what I am telling my part houses that I would deliver in the am to give them time to repacked and ship now I deliver in the pm and do pickup I’m seeing a lot more boxes going with fed x

Theupsrookie

Anybody else have a Saturday Orion compliance route with business pickups? Had 9 pickups today with over 150 pkgs spread between 3 towns at different times throughout the day. Try navigating your already spread out route which repeatedly has you returning to areas you were prevously delivering to earlier in the day; with 9 damn pickups. Today I felt like I drove in circles for 11 hours

180 miles on my saturday route that covers 12 normal routes, i have the ors turn orion off , the route has 10 pickups

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
Had me deliver to a house with two apartments. One apartment in the morning and 50 stops later they had me do the other one. They literally share the same porch......wtf?? You can’t make this stuff up.

BrownSkid

LeBrown Shames

And yet they will pin the blame on us, for making too much. The real problem is the 11million dollar man in Atlanta w/ a plan. Upper mgmt better wake up, a flawed plan can only last so long. Me fixing their flaws will stop once I get my .70 (non raise). That's is not enough for me to keep fixing it.

ODO could theoretically work if that had taken into account many factors. For ex, one ways, recognizing schools as business, marking business a higher priority for delivery and business hours.
Last week my first few air stops were to a restaurant and t-mobile not open till after 10am... I still drove to the locations because I'm starting to give up. The pride in me is slowly being squeezed out. Sucks for customers but it is what it is.
Once map/nav and odo only started it became, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.