ORION dumbest moves- on topic please

ol'browneye

Original poster said as far as he know
he thought it worked in the rural areas but it doesn't work there either, especially at the satelite I work at. About the only time it is decent is if I don't have any air I have to pull for.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Original poster said as far as he know
he thought it worked in the rural areas but it doesn't work there either, especially at the satelite I work at. About the only time it is decent is if I don't have any air I have to pull for.
I’ve experienced rural routes where Orion works just fine, and sometimes better than EDD.

9.5er

I cover 15 of our 20 routes in my side of the center. It doesn’t matter if it’s a city run or all country, Orion sucks. Constantly passing by businesses to get residentials. Get a couple of these stops but save the one next to it for later. I usually do every route my way but I’m getting tired of fixing their screwups. Orion can go suck an egg.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They came down on the 100%ers in my center. Basically said it’s following orders with malicious intent. I told my center manager how bad the route was when Orion is on, business deliveries after pickups, first stops on the 8000 etc. and that eventually I would overlook something and have a service failure. he told me to pull over at 2PM and go through and write down the stops I need to get to on a piece of paper so I wouldn’t forget. Basically what the RDO function was for. I’ve been doing RDO in my head. Beat Orion everyday last week by 15-18 miles and by about an hour and a half maybe 60% compliance. I know I shouldn’t, but I hate working stupid. now my numbers magically match what I’ve been putting up. Just waiting to get more stops.
You should ask them which article of the contract addresses “following orders with malicious intent” if they try to discipline you.
You should then file an Article 37 grievance for over supervision and harrassment. They are giving you conflicting instructions under threat of discipline which is a textbook definition of harrassment. They cant have it both ways.
ORION compliance or service. Pick one. End of menu.

jknode

Orion is nothing but a string algorithm that's not working for most routes yet management (most never drove or hardly drove now) sold on it. Some days on my route Orion wants me to get 55-65stops done by my last air stop at 1030, yeah that's not happening. I drive my stops at least 3 times a day before stopping on the wrong side of the road to deliver. Very frustrating. Someone needs to develop a loop algorithm that would help or uper Management needs to put brown on and take a ride with us. Stop waisting money on sending other driver sups to the hubs that don't no the area and won't listen. Just my thoughts!

born2Bwild

On the secondary of installing Orion I remember the guy with Orion said to me today will strictly follow Orion. After about 3 hours, he gave up and said to me forget it just follow RDO. And now they want to make it work when their own guy didn’t believe it will work

542thruNthru

They came down on the 100%ers in my center. Basically said it’s following orders with malicious intent. I told my center manager how bad the route was when Orion is on, business deliveries after pickups, first stops on the 8000 etc. and that eventually I would overlook something and have a service failure. he told me to pull over at 2PM and go through and write down the stops I need to get to on a piece of paper so I wouldn’t forget. Basically what the RDO function was for. I’ve been doing RDO in my head. Beat Orion everyday last week by 15-18 miles and by about an hour and a half maybe 60% compliance. I know I shouldn’t, but I hate working stupid. now my numbers magically match what I’ve been putting up. Just waiting to get more stops.

How did they come down on drivers? They tried that crap here when we first got orion. Maliciously obedient. We all just laughed at it.

Last edited:

WTFm8

2 weeks ago was the one that really pissed me off.

Heading south on a main road in-cith, Small air delivery about 200' down a narrow 1 way road, park on main road and walk it.

Hour later, after airs and misc Orion grounds, heading south I have a ground delivery for a house 150' down that road.

1.5 hours after that I'm heading back north to shopping center, had a ground for the house I parked infront of for those 2 deliveries... which is on the other side of a highly traveled road.

I stopped along the curb, pulled the package, and waited almost 2 minutes behind the truck till there was an opening in traffic to get across to deliver then ~15 seconds till I could cross back to truck.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Orion is nothing but a string algorithm that's not working for most routes yet management (most never drove or hardly drove now) sold on it. Some days on my route Orion wants me to get 55-65stops done by my last air stop at 1030, yeah that's not happening. I drive my stops at least 3 times a day before stopping on the wrong side of the road to deliver. Very frustrating. Someone needs to develop a loop algorithm that would help or uper Management needs to put brown on and take a ride with us. Stop waisting money on sending other driver sups to the hubs that don't no the area and won't listen. Just my thoughts!
Fire the shadow cult that hides in the Orion office (that are to fat to fit through a bulkhead door). Then have the system watch what the drivers do on the road and with their personal input use Orion to make small adjustments to maximize efficiency.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Fire the shadow cult that hides in the Orion office (that are to fat to fit through a bulkhead door). Then have the system watch what the drivers do on the road and with their personal input use Orion to make small adjustments to maximize efficiency.

There have been times when I could see glimpses of what Orion is capable of, but it only seems to happen in residential areas. I'd say if they could just leave the commercial stops alone, including pick ups, and fine tune the resi's, I could almost live with Orion.

Zesper1

Sounds like a rookie move,
Digging out a 5679 for your second stop. You should have known when you delivered your 1st stop that you weren’t doing 5679 next.

Nah. It’s the center pushing for full ORION compliance. My route covers resi stops closer to the center at the end of my day, so ORION has spent the last two weeks starting my first 10-25 stops on my 5s, 6s, 7s and 8000 shelves before I actually drop my first commercial stops. And the ridiculous limitations they have about trying to keep ORION closer to EDD is moronic. So, they hit me with the “Work as instructed” line and told me to follow it. Hence things going to crap.

ACmoses

Hey guys, new member here and over 30 years service. Albert Einstein once said "If the solution is simple, God is answering." The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line and this will never change. Another driver in my center had a simple solution to Orion. Just switch ODO with RDO and call it good. The shareholders would not know the difference and UPS can quietly let Orion fade away. Saving a gallon of gas does not cancel out paying a driver an hour of overtime to follow this foolish system.

Is it a rookie move or is it how the company is instructing us to work?
Have you been instructed to follow it 100%? I deliver one stop at a time starting on shelf 1. Have no idea of my Orion compliance. But I come in under miles and about 1.5 - 2 hours early with no headaches.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Hey guys, new member here and over 30 years service. Albert Einstein once said "If the solution is simple, God is answering." The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line and this will never change. Another driver in my center had a simple solution to Orion. Just switch ODO with RDO and call it good. The shareholders would not know the difference and UPS can quietly let Orion fade away. Saving a gallon of gas does not cancel out paying a driver an hour of overtime to follow this foolish system.
Another option would be to use RDO, and instruct the drivers to hold all stops in prerecord until they return to the building at night.
A clerk could then stop complete the work in ORION sequence, in order to spoon-feed the desired compliance metric to the idiots in corporate.
It would be a win/win. The drivers could actually function and get the work done, while upper management would still get the number they are chasing for their daily report. And paying a clerk to re-sequence the work every night would be cheaper than paying for the hours of overtime that are being wasted as well as the refunds that are being paid out for service failures due to the forced stupidity of ORION.
It is not necessary, nor will it ever even be possible, to make ORION work. It is only necessary to allow those in charge to pretend that it works.

tadpole

Another option would be to use RDO, and instruct the drivers to hold all stops in prerecord until they return to the building at night.
A clerk could then stop complete the work in ORION sequence, in order to spoon-feed the desired compliance metric to the idiots in corporate.
It would be a win/win. The drivers could actually function and get the work done, while upper management would still get the number they are chasing for their daily report. And paying a clerk to re-sequence the work every night would be cheaper than paying for the hours of overtime that are being wasted as well as the refunds that are being paid out for service failures due to the forced stupidity of ORION.
It is not necessary, nor will it ever even be possible, to make ORION work. It is only necessary to allow those in charge to pretend that it works.
It would not be a win/win.
Nda would all show as late, time of delivery + gps stamps would all be wrong.

WTFm8

It would not be a win/win.
Nda would all show as late, time of delivery + gps stamps would all be wrong.

Not only that, imagine what they might implement next if this does falsely work out...

I love pics like this to toss back in the managements face when they ask why I was over... 'Just following the methods'.

Attachments

• IMG_6042.JPG
    IMG_6042.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 231

Not only that, imagine what they might implement next if this does falsely work out...

I love pics like this to toss back in the managements face when they ask why I was over... 'Just following the methods'.
That ain’t bad