ORION dumbest moves- on topic please

Zesper1

Have you been instructed to follow it 100%? I deliver one stop at a time starting on shelf 1. Have no idea of my Orion compliance. But I come in under miles and about 1.5 - 2 hours early with no headaches.
Yep. Center manager is trying to get into division, so he went all in when ORION Monday hit. 100 percent compliance required.

It has been a poop-festival since.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
We experience Orion dumb delivery navigations order all day, but upper management think this is golden. Show them with your daily experiences how Orion is ineffective and time consuming. Please no jokes,funny videos clips etc.
for example:
- next stop make left on a busy 2 lane street street time and drive 450 feet’s.to get there 0 minutes. However there is a traffic light that held me 1 minute just to get there
- very next stop Orion said to make a U turn on a busy high traffic 2 lanes street and arrive to next stop in 0 minutes and no indication of a traffic light.

I know i know I’m suppose to make smart decision out here and I do. But wouldn’t that defeat Orion purpose on time and mileage saving?

These are just two example of many many I encounter on a daily base. While Orion maybe effective in rural area ( to my knowledge) it’s really a burden in large metropolitan areas where there is a grid
So please post your experiences
I love the "Big O" wanting us to pass all of our even number stops that we should be delivering out of the right side of the car to go all the way back to the last stop in the neighborhood and then make us deliver everything we pass by crossing the street. Saves no miles and creates a :censored2:ing un safe work place. :censored2: ORION

JL 0513

The worst moves are often where p/u break points are placed. It's like it's totally random many times. I've seen breaks at the furthest point on a route to do a p/u on the other side of town, then the next stop is back on the same residential side street. Then a few stops later, it breaks again to go back across town to the p/u area again.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
The worst moves are often where p/u break points are placed. It's like it's totally random many times. I've seen breaks at the furthest point on a route to do a p/u on the other side of town, then the next stop is back on the same residential side street. Then a few stops later, it breaks again to go back across town to the p/u area again.
Love how it handles drop-boxes, it has you there before you can close it...………... Smart

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
If you are talking Saturdays ODO then yeah it sucks alot since for some reason Orion cant seem to understand that even though there are 3 loops(6 to 8 partial routes) on one route that I can clear a whole loop instead of wearing out a bridge.
Clear a whole subdivision except for two court because they belong to another route (business route; same loop) and drive 5 miles back to hit them because Orion wants a left turn instead of three rights with two stops.
Beat Orion by 12 miles today, meh.

Just focus on getting your irregs off if Orion is trying to make you haul them around all day.
How much more money could you have made, or how many less stops would you be dispatched with if you didn't save those 12 miles?

The Driver

I drive.
How much more money could you have made, or how many less stops would you be dispatched with if you didn't save those 12 miles?

I can see the other side of it, too.

How much more frustrated, annoyed and otherwise irritated and tired would he have been driving in circles all day? How much more risk would he have taken, driving all those extra miles and taking left turns?

I like to do a good job and work smart. It's not all about how much money I can make. I want job satisfaction when possible.

If they demand I hit a certain goal "or else" then I'll be a butt and do exactly what Orion says. Until then I'm going to drive and work smart and safe.

CoolStoryBro

The entire route is a 5 mile long mountain road (no side streets) and then a giant neighborhood at the end of the road. 180 ish stops.

3 businesses are at the beginning of the 5 mile road. 7 total stops on the way to the giant neighborhood.

ODO has me skip the 3 businesses and 4 resi on the mountain road. It wants me to drive to the neighborhood then Deliver 10 ground and 3 NDA then go back to the beginning of the route

Ah hell naw. I followed ODO but also had time to deliver the 3 businesses and 4 resi on the way to the neighborhood.

That was my

COOL STORY BRO

Bob11B

Honestly, not one supervisor or the center manager has mentioned Orion or their desire for us to follow it. When this transition first happened and I bitched about it my sup said he knew it was :censored2:ing dumb and for me to run my route how I’ve been doing it. I’ve just been running my route as usual and haven’t heard a thing from them about it.

The most annoying part is looking at the pickups all day long and all the :censored2: it wanted me to run during air but I’m not going to hunt for a 4000+ package so I just hit that button so it always automatically scrolls past that crap.

LeftRS1

One of those Millennials Drivers
Saturdays honestly don't make sense all routes are supposed to plan 8-9 hours right now in my center. Some drivers finish in 6 hours others right around 10 hours. But no one scratchs a route.
My over allowed was 1.3 hours (finished at 1800) but we dont accept their metrics right?
So dont worry about my wallet I am going to work as safe as I can with the knowledge I have. (I am always willing to take a minute to hear out a fellow Upser on safety)

old levi's

blank space
delivering NDA before EAM while still dragging the box

delivering 8-10 stops before dropping the TP-60, screwing the satellite driver

delivering 1 NDA 12 miles out in the country first thing, but not catching the other 2 stops that are 1/4 mile away

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
The entire route is a 5 mile long mountain road (no side streets) and then a giant neighborhood at the end of the road. 180 ish stops.

3 businesses are at the beginning of the 5 mile road. 7 total stops on the way to the giant neighborhood.

ODO has me skip the 3 businesses and 4 resi on the mountain road. It wants me to drive to the neighborhood then Deliver 10 ground and 3 NDA then go back to the beginning of the route

Ah hell naw. I followed ODO but also had time to deliver the 3 businesses and 4 resi on the way to the neighborhood.

That was my

COOL STORY BRO
CSB!

ixtab

I met ORION he works the night shift at the Valero (now Circle K) in Texas...

Attachments

• ORION.JPG
    ORION.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 229

ixtab

I passed a customer's house 3 times, as her NDA Saver burgers were melting in my truck (she was outside watering her lawn), she said, "I saw you pass by, why didn't you stop?" Just showed her my DIAD & said, "It wasn't your turn yet." Oh... also got a, "You used to get here so much earlier." Delivering that neighborhood about 3 hours later than I normally do...

Attachments

• ORION2.JPG
    ORION2.JPG
    586.9 KB · Views: 251
The company claims it saves miles with Orion. RDO wasn’t perfect, but RDO is way better and beats orion’s miles by a landslide.

Orion has out of this world expectancy of a driver. It usually wants your very first stop to be a ground only delivery on our 7-8000 shelf (usually a random resi too) then run 3 NDA’s, then run 5 random ground stops, then complete your final 4 NDA’s.

Orion wants you to make left hand turns onto busy streets.

Orion wants me to deliver 4 business stops on the same street, then jump 2 streets over to so 2 business stops (not even bulk stops either). Then jump back to the very first street I was on to finish up....

I could go on and on and on but what’s the point? If UPS wants to save miles, I can run my route how it should be ran every day and save the company all the miles it wants. Instead, I’ll continue to run it the way they want me to no matter how much sense it doesn’t make. It will just mean more 9.5 grievances from me because it adds time to my route to run it the way they want me to.

born2Bwild

Orion want you leave your route the same way that enter it for those of us who have more that one way. Orion will keep some stops to the end even though you passed by when you made a delivery nearby earlier. Saving gas?
And what about not making left turn in traffic? Orion tell tells me not only to turn left in traffic but to make U turn in a busy 4 lane street.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Orion does not care about the customers. Not in the least. An address is an address and that is all that matters to the program.
Oh sure...THEY... say that business addresses have precedence in the over all structure of the route however that is not the case in my experience. Half the time, it will have me deliver 70 resis before I even touch a business. Usually the PO delivery is after that damned place is closed.

So...NO...I do not run orion. NOR will I. I care about my customers far too much to adhere to a seriously flawed program. I was raised in this company to always treat the customer with consideration and run my route in the best way to take care of all customers for that day.

I do not look at the Orion solution in the diad. And I run my truck old school. I set it up and I run the shelf.
Most of the time more simple is more better.