ORION is creating its own "METRICS MONSTERS" and the DM's are unhappy?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Your not generating anything, just following orders. If my DM directs me to delivery the route by numerical order guess what? I will. No matter how stupid it might be I follow their directions. It's so worth it in the end when everything goes to @$@# and they ask "Why did you deliver this way?"
But that isn't what they are doing. They aren't instructing us to follow ORION in perfect order.

What they are saying is "follow ORION by at least 85%....but make good decisions for the route and make service on all the packages."

Those two sets of instructions contradict one another. Furthermore, the DIAD doesn't give a stop-by-stop breakdown of what compliance percentage we are currently running, and I don't have the time or mental energy to try and do long division in my head.

I also have no intention of backing into residential driveways, crawling over packages to reach a stop on shelf 8, unloading half the truck into the middle of the street in the rain in order to dig one stop out, pissing off pickup accounts by showing up 5 hours too early, driving by the same stop 3 times before delivering it, or otherwise participating in any of the forced stupidity that comes hand-in-hand with generating an arbitrary ORION compliance metric. I'm going to do my job in a manner that best represents the interests of the company, per ART 37, and if they want to try and discipline me for making service on the packages they are more than welcome to try.

Last edited:

soberups

How is it a catch 22? You text the office "I will have late air if I keep following Orion". They will have you break. Then go about Orion, when your going to have missed business you text the office again. Afterwards break and repeat. Do this day in and day out. Enjoy the cash.

I have a better solution; just do your job like a professional, take care of the customers, use safe driving and work methods, and if they bitch and whine at you the next day over your failure to generate an ORION compliance metric just politely suggest that they share their concerns with someone who gives a damn.

jaker

trolling
At my hub if we can beat its miles then they don't say anything

I run my route the same way and the way we was trained to before Orion and I still can beat its miles

Why because Orion sucks

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If your trying to qualify, what's best for an area your not familiar with? ODO? RDO???
I actually like when it shows RDO in a residential split. In an area you are unfamiliar. Its sucks the rest of the day in commercial, but it will get you done if there are no time constraints.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I call the center to have them make decisions, no one knows.
Orion people are not in center, yet on road.
Orion makes me physically sick. I have nightmares of having too many miles and 80 left...I wake up on work days with hives, so large I was afraid I had lymphoma.

I hate being beat upon verbally every day for not being able to make the system work. I cannot do their miles when I have had 3 different loaders in 5 days. I call and ask about misloads, run them or not? No one answering has the ability to answer simple questions. (the OMS) So I sit on the phone and wait for an answer from someone further up the food chain. No one is there, they must be out following us around in endless circles.

Final question. Work as directed stay on Orion, if no one can answer your questions on road, and let it all fail, then be fired........... or make service, and get your ass chewed. Neither one are very pleasant.

Indecisi0n

I have a better solution; just do your job like a professional, take care of the customers, use safe driving and work methods, and if they bitch and whine at you the next day over your failure to generate an ORION compliance metric just politely suggest that they share their concerns with someone who gives a damn.
Enjoy the suspension for not follow directives. I'll enjoy my new toys with my extra income.

Indecisi0n

062_wink_cat_gifs.gif

soberups

Enjoy the suspension for not follow directives. I'll enjoy my new toys with my extra income.
And as I have stated before, they cant suspend or discipline someone for not following conflicting directives.

We have had ORION in my building for almost a year. I have never followed it, and no one has been or ever will be disciplined for failing to follow it.

Enjoy working unsafely and in fear. I'll enjoy the pride of continuing to work like a professional instead of a robot.

kingOFchester

Ignore the 85% compliance. Strive for 100%. If asked why you are over miles and that you should use commons sense and be around 85%, the easy response is "I save the 15% for the end of the day incase I need it. I certainly do not want to break off early and then find myself needing the breaks later in the day".

Orion and I get along great. I hope UPS keeps him around.

Nothing to do with fear. Nothing to do with anything other then I work as directed. I am directed to hit 85% or better. I am bad at math. And I am unable to determine when I should use the 15% room for breaking trace.

I am at UPS for nothing more then $'s. Being a professional driver and decision maker will do nothing more then add stress to my day and nothing for the wallet. The more I make, the happier the campers are.

Last edited:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Enjoy working unsafely and in fear. I'll enjoy the pride of continuing to work like a professional instead of a robot.
working unsafely,and in FEAR? my good fellow you DO have a flair for the dramatic dont you?

I work safely,by the methods,work as directed ,strive for 100% compliance and can say I have less stress and enjoy the job more now than I have in any other time in my career at UPS. I turn my brain off,turn the radio on and deliver the route using the plan FAR smarter people than I have devised. Who am I to argue with engineers??? We have been told in no uncertain terms that it is no longer an hourlies responsibility to manage the route,and boy howdy does it make the job much easier!

As far as "ass chewings" I simply LAUGH when they start that. I really do get the giggles and often time full blown guffaws when they ask"what happened yesterday??" and try to get intimidating. The look on thier faces when they realize they cant harass or intimidate an employee is freaking PRICELESS and they quickly move to the next target.

really,some of ya'll on this forum just kill me

kingOFchester

It is a gift!! I am truly doing less work and making more money. Probably 10% or more.

I do not have late air. I do not have missed pieces. I do not have late savers. I will break off to be sure everything gets serviced. That is why I can never hit 100%. But god, I love being on the North end of my route at 2:40 when the "commits" pop to the top. Break off and get that business saver delivered all the way on the south end. (The same business I drove past at 11:30.) Trek back up to the north to continue with Orion. Deliver until I need to do a pickup. Where? Back to the south end. (Orion thought that is where I would be delivering at this time). Make pickup, then back up to the north. And what do I get?

Less work for more money. Why complain??

I will eat this stuff up until it is gone. It will not last forever. At some point the future upgrades will have Orion recalculate according to time and location as the day goes on. Tread easy, keep a safe pace and keep the expectations low. Our current performance will certainly be used in future calculations.

Last edited:

soberups

working unsafely,and in FEAR? my good fellow you DO have a flair for the dramatic dont you?

I work safely,by the methods,work as directed ,strive for 100% compliance and can say I have less stress and enjoy the job more now than I have in any other time in my career at UPS. I turn my brain off,turn the radio on and deliver the route using the plan FAR smarter people than I have devised. Who am I to argue with engineers??? We have been told in no uncertain terms that it is no longer an hourlies responsibility to manage the route,and boy howdy does it make the job much easier!

As far as "ass chewings" I simply LAUGH when they start that. I really do get the giggles and often time full blown guffaws when they ask"what happened yesterday??" and try to get intimidating. The look on thier faces when they realize they cant harass or intimidate an employee is freaking PRICELESS and they quickly move to the next target.

really,some of ya'll on this forum just kill me
How is it safe to constantly back into residential driveways in order to obey ORION?

How is it safe to be in end-range motion, crawling over boxes and fighting bulk to get to the one stop on shelf 8 that ORION is telling you to deliver?

How is it safe to be delivering to or near an elementary school at dismissal time in order to obey ORION?

How is it in the best interests of the company to do your pickups 5 hours before their scheduled time because ORION tells you to?

I guess your experience has been different from mine. They installed ORION on my route, it doesn't work, I told them that it doesn't work and that I have no intention of following it, and they have not said a word to me about my lack of "compliance" for almost a year now. If they ever even tried to discipline me for not following it, I would simply file an ART 37 grievance and be done with it.

soberups

It is a gift!! I am truly doing less work and making more money. Probably 10% or more.

I do not have late air. I do not have missed pieces. I do not have late savers. I will break off to be sure everything gets serviced. That is why I can never hit 100%. But god, I love being on the North end of my route at 2:40 when the "commits" pop to the top. Break off and get that business saver delivered all the way on the south end. (The same business I drove past at 11:30.) Trek back up to the north to continue with Orion. Deliver until I need to do a pickup. Where? Back to the south end. (Orion thought that is where I would be delivering at this time). Make pickup, then back up to the north. And what do I get?

Less work for more money. Why complain??

I will eat this stuff up until it is gone. It will not last forever. At some point the future upgrades will have Orion recalculate according to time and location as the day goes on. Tread easy, keep a safe pace and keep the expectations low. Our current performance will certainly be used in future calculations.
Telling me to be intentionally stupid in order to obey ORION is like telling me to intentionally crap my pants. I simply cannot bring myself to do it. I have too much pride in myself and too much respect for my customers to screw them over just because ORION is telling me to.