ORION is creating its own "METRICS MONSTERS" and the DM's are unhappy?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

My primary contractual directive is to perform my duties in the best interests of the company and that means "I" make those decisions when I am on the road.

Anything that compromises school closures, saver failures, missed pickups or business failures is a counter directive that we should not be forced to follow.

"WORKING AS DIRECTED" is a myth and will never hold up in arbitration compared to a written directive in our contract.

TOS.
+100000

When push comes to shove, the company isn't going to get anywhere trying to discipline a driver who is guilty of nothing more than doing his job correctly.

soberups

Bollocks,some here want to do the job "their way" and the rest of us wish to work as directed.

I want to work as directed also.

I have been directed to make service on all of the packages in my truck, to avoid backing into residential driveways, and to do my pickups within 15 minutes of their scheduled time.

Obeying these directives means that ORION compliance is impossible. Since the company is giving me two sets of directives that directly conflict with one another, they will not succeed in disciplining me for failing to comply with both of them simultaneously.

Im not trying to do the job "my" way. I'm doing it the way I was trained to do it and have done it for 27 years. I'm doing it in a manner that best represents the interests of the company, per ART 37 of the labor agreement.

soberups

The only time this may be an issue is if the driver goes over the Orion planned day when not following Orion.
It happens to me all the time. ORION does not factor in misleads. ORION doesn't know ahead of time whether or not one of my wineries is shipping out 3 packages or 3 full pallets of wine that will take me 45 minutes to load which in turn forces me to adjust my delivery order to accommodate other businesses and pickups. ORION doesn't factor in road closures or construction or weather. ORION is incapable of adjusting to real-time, real-world conditions and variables.

They don't say anything to me when I ignore ORION and beat it by 30 or 40 miles, so they don't say anything to me when I ignore it and go over by a few either.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I want to work as directed also.

I have been directed to make service on all of the packages in my truck, to avoid backing into residential driveways, and to do my pickups within 15 minutes of their scheduled time.

Obeying these directives means that ORION compliance is impossible. Since the company is giving me two sets of directives that directly conflict with one another, they will not succeed in disciplining me for failing to comply with both of them simultaneously.

Im not trying to do the job "my" way. I'm doing it the way I was trained to do it and have done it for 27 years. I'm doing it in a manner that best represents the interests of the company, per ART 37 of the labor agreement.

to quote the bard" a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet"
From your posts here you have shown us all that you feel you are above the rules,and when questioned or if you feel cornered you resort to comparing being asked to work as directed to sharting your tidy whiteys on command.
ok,maybe that rose wouldn't smell as sweet

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You should become a writer. Perhaps a big publisher would be interested in your lengthy postings. Yes, you are correct, there is no wording in the contract that says work as directed. It is common practice however to work as directed when the request is coming from your employer.

Look, I have said all I need to say. I am working as directed. I am not breaking the contract. I am making more money by following the request of my employer. That is all that matters to me.

I hope there wasn't anything important that i missed in your post. Didn't have the desire to read all of it.

Again, "common practice", another myth. Nobody is asking you to break the contract, what we are trying to tell you NOT to jeopardize your job by following the direction of a machine vs using your common sense.

The larger message is abundantly clear. If it works for you, then by all means, have at it. But, if you are having to turn it on then turn it off to correct "calculated mistakes", then its NOT WORKING.

There should be no reason to turn ORION off if it works as a calculating system. But what I will not do, is turn it on in the AM, let it run me behind or put me in areas I dont belong, then turn it off, re calculate a trace that will make up the lost time on the fly, then catch up, and turn back on ORION only to find myself driving in circles.

This is the problem with ORION. The company wants us to follow it, but, they tell you, if you find yourself falling behind, TURN IT OFF and go back to making the decisions the way it was intended.

ORION doesnt have "common sense", and ORION cannot adjust on the fly to changing conditions, another part of our training as drivers.

UPS might as well DITCH "adjust to changing conditions" from the repertoir because ORION will force you into situations where "we" as drivers know better.

For instance, lets say a school dismisses at 145pm and the streets become clogged with moms picking up kids and the streets in the area are full of kids walking. We know, that avoiding that section at that time is best for the route and overall safety, but ORION does not and will force you onto those streets at the highest percentage of danger.

This is why "WE" have to make business decisions that are in the best interests of the employer, not a machine that cannot think.

As for you not reading the post, that is of no concern to me. The word is memorialized out there and others may read it and understand what we are trying to communicate.

TOS.

soberups

to quote the bard" a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet"
From your posts here you have shown us all that you feel you are above the rules,and when questioned or if you feel cornered you resort to comparing being asked to work as directed to sharting your tidy whiteys on command.
ok,maybe that rose wouldn't smell as sweet
The one time I was ever questioned about my ORION compliance I showed them...using their own data and maps...just how stupid and counterproductive ORION was. I also offered to follow it 100% if they really, really wanted me to. They chose not to take me up on that offer and have not spoken to me about it since. You see, I'm not going to play the "85%" game. I don't have the time or desire to chase meaningless numbers, that is managements job. Its my way or their way, all the way, and there is no in between. "Make service on everything but make sure you hit 85% or better also" doesn't exist in my book. There is only going to be one decision-maker in the drivers seat and it will either be me or ORION but not both.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The only time this may be an issue is if the driver goes over the Orion planned day when not following Orion.

Dave,

EVERYONE goes over plan on ORION. I am a part of an 85 man center. Everyday, the center posts the ORION "recap" for everyone to see. Everyday, our center AVERAGES 150 miles over plan and there is clearly NO SAVINGS on miles.

Our overallowed has skyrockted, and our overtime gone through the roof.

Whats worse, is that guys like me are FEEDER DRIVERS, but we are back in package until runs are put back in so I make FEEDER rate in package ($34.24 an hour) vs $33.83. For me, the extra overtime is awesome. Its free money Dave.

Money ORION is paying me to do the job in the most ridiculous manner possible.

I am 98.660% on trace. 9 to 11 miles a day over and 2 hours longer to do the route.

I guess i could say to UPS S.Davis.. "THANKS?"

TOS.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The one time I was ever questioned about my ORION compliance I showed them...using their own data and maps...just how stupid and counterproductive ORION was. I also offered to follow it 100% if they really, really wanted me to. They chose not to take me up on that offer and have not spoken to me about it since. You see, I'm not going to play the "85%" game. I don't have the time or desire to chase meaningless numbers, that is managements job. Its my way or their way, all the way, and there is no in between. "Make service on everything but make sure you hit 85% or better also" doesn't exist in my book. There is only going to be one decision-maker in the drivers seat and it will either be me or ORION but not both.

And this goes to the point I made in another thread, there is NOBODY that really wants to listen to a driver who is being completely honest giving them a genuine analysis of the use of ORION.

All the way to the DM level, not one person is interested in hearing the facts. They are all so committed to this stupid program they will ignore everyone until someone at the top starts looking at the numbers in a real light.

TOS.

soberups

The week before Mothers Day, there was one day when ORION had me doing my last stop at around 9:00 at night and driving 200 miles.

I don't have enough fuel in the truck to go 200 miles and I have no intention of knocking on someones door after 9:00 on a work night. Fortunately, by turning ORION off I was able to cut 90 minutes and about 50 miles off of that, with 90% pickup compliance and no late air or service failures. Plus I took my 1/2 hour lunch at home at 12:30 rather than parked by the side of a dirt road at 11:30, which is pretty nice if you want to be able to take a crap in a flush toilet and wash your hands afterwards. But that's just me.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
From what I have heard here on this forum about ORION makes be sure that the designer of this program really buffaloed someone in corporate. Really pulled the wool over the sheep....so to speak.
And you know what? He is laughing all the way to the bank.

Last edited:

MethodsMan

I worked a route last week that was predominately on a busy highway. Where the speed is 60mph and drivers frequently go way faster than that. Orion had me taking left hand turns through that traffic all day long.

I refused.

Not happening.

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
Well were kicking off O'Ryan this week in our center. I'm about to walk in the door, I just wonder if now is when we have to start meeting the percentage numbers. I've been on Ryan for a month and pretty much do whatever I want, i'm guessing this week kicks off the beatings.

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
Well were kicking off O'Ryan this week in our center. I'm about to walk in the door, I just wonder if now is when we have to start meeting the percentage numbers. I've been on Ryan for a month and pretty much do whatever I want, i'm guessing this week kicks off the beatings.

Sent using BrownCafe App

O'Ryan works better if you pour a pint of Guinness into your DIAD.

Overpaid Union Thug

You should become a writer. Perhaps a big publisher would be interested in your lengthy postings. Yes, you are correct, there is no wording in the contract that says work as directed. It is common practice however to work as directed when the request is coming from your employer.

Look, I have said all I need to say. I am working as directed. I am not breaking the contract. I am making more money by following the request of my employer. That is all that matters to me.

I hope there wasn't anything important that i missed in your post. Didn't have the desire to read all of it.
Everyone that is wasting time arguing with this guy needs to pay extra attention to what he said in the last two sentences of his second paragraph. There is the true motive behind their heavy support of following ORION. That alone isn't a bad thing but to expect others to conform based on their own desire to make extra cash off UPS technology failures is.

Sent using BrownCafe App

kingOFchester

Everyone that is wasting time arguing with this guy needs to pay extra attention to what he said in the last two sentences of his second paragraph. There is the true motive behind their heavy support of following ORION. That alone isn't a bad thing but to expect others to conform based on their own desire to make extra cash off UPS technology failures is.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Hey Thug,

When did I say I expect others to "conform"? I expressed the following:

1) I was told to follow Orion.
2) I followed Orion.
3) I do not back because of Orion.
4) I do not have missed stops or service failures.
5) My area shrunk as a result of following Orion.
6) My paid has gone up.
7) My miles are way up.

What is wrong with any of the above? I can see that for some trips, being insubordinate may be the better option. For my trip, following what my employer has asked has benefited myself. And before you attack me with the "me me me" mentality that you think I may have, I ask you this 2nd question. How am I hurting my co-workers by following Orion, proving that the system sucks by the limited amount of work I can now accomplish and the amount of miles I now run over my usual way of running the trip and the amount I am now overallowed?

It appears from all the attacks on me for following Orion, that they have a problem with me not conforming to their disregard for company instructions.

I was not given an option to follow Orion. I was told that I need to be 85% or better.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was told I had to follow it also. I got beat up pretty bad this morning even though I explained the excess. I was also the first one put on it.
I took all of the above suggestions, combined them, and what I found was having my good loader back, I could accomplish close to what they wanted. I am also losing my good loader in two weeks as he goes driving. It was also probably called a six hour day, by the standards they follow. I just followed it unless I was going to have a failure, then went back to it. I unloaded the truck in the middle of a parking lot, carried all the crap to the front and followed it to a t.
I also had to get my back door fixed at a garage door place. I have written it up 3 times, and it still jams on me constantly. Wait til UPS gets the bill, but hey I saved a road call, and stayed on trace, LOL

oldngray

nowhere special
I was told I had to follow it also. I got beat up pretty bad this morning even though I explained the excess. I was also the first one put on it.
I took all of the above suggestions, combined them, and what I found was having my good loader back, I could accomplish close to what they wanted. I am also losing my good loader in two weeks as he goes driving. It was also probably called a six hour day, by the standards they follow. I just followed it unless I was going to have a failure, then went back to it. I unloaded the truck in the middle of a parking lot, carried all the crap to the front and followed it to a t.
I also had to get my back door fixed at a garage door place. I have written it up 3 times, and it still jams on me constantly. Wait til UPS gets the bill, but hey I saved a road call, and stayed on trace, LOL

I had a truck that had a bad back door where the rollers kept popping off the track. I always carried a screwdriver to pop in back on the track. Eventually they replaced the track when they replaced the door (from one of old heavy doors to a newer lightweight door).

some1else

Banned
We just got orion and im confused about something. It still has the list of the next 8 stops on the screen. I was expecting the current stop in giant letters then after that one is completed the next one pops up. Why do i need to see the next 8 stops or be able to scroll through the list? Seems like a waste and i could save time having the current stop in big letters to read faster. I will be following it 100% anyway so do not need to see anything but the current stop

Overpaid Union Thug

Hey Thug,

When did I say I expect others to "conform"? I expressed the following:

1) I was told to follow Orion.
2) I followed Orion.
3) I do not back because of Orion.
4) I do not have missed stops or service failures.
5) My area shrunk as a result of following Orion.
6) My paid has gone up.
7) My miles are way up.

What is wrong with any of the above? I can see that for some trips, being insubordinate may be the better option. For my trip, following what my employer has asked has benefited myself. And before you attack me with the "me me me" mentality that you think I may have, I ask you this 2nd question. How am I hurting my co-workers by following Orion, proving that the system sucks by the limited amount of work I can now accomplish and the amount of miles I now run over my usual way of running the trip and the amount I am now overallowed?

It appears from all the attacks on me for following Orion, that they have a problem with me not conforming to their disregard for company instructions.

I was not given an option to follow Orion. I was told that I need to be 85% or better.

In response to other members stating that not following ORION is more efficient you have continuously stated that you are gaining monetarily from ORION by attempting to follow it (even without backing and missed pieces) and have said that you aren't supposed to be a professional driver that makes decisions. Like i said.....the money thing isn't so bad but you are using the idea of "working as directed" as an excuse to make more money and that has been your standard response to other member's posts about not having to work as directed with ORION. Clearly you think others should conform to your extra money making scheme. Otherwise....why keep using that as your reason for just "working as directed?"

Regardless......if you truly like making all that extra money enough then more power to you.