ORION is creating its own "METRICS MONSTERS" and the DM's are unhappy?

32F driver

I guess it depends on the center manager & his underlings in each building. I have NEVER followed orion. 170-190 stops in a P700. 300+ pieces daily. It's a cold day in August in Florida, when I can walk through my car in the AM. My on road used to come to me in the AM & tell me my #s were off. Big effin deal. Compare how I run my route against orion's way. If you want me to run this crap, load it in the board the way I run it. Simple & sensible, I'll be in 100% compliance. Well, today 6/25/14, odo was no longer in my board. After running my airs, I go to whole route in the diad, & it was in my order. Wait a second, where is odo, so I went back to commit & then back again to whole. The ability to change between odo & rdo is no longer there. Thank the good Lord in heaven above, common sense may just prevail.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
OMG I am so on the :censored2: list tomorrow. It was like everything that could go wrong did.
Start so late, I went off Orion doing air, I knew I couldnt do it, I think the psychics that do Orion, dont know I start 20 minutes later than everyone else since I am a bad truck driver.
Then my board died...try delivering like we used to, the way they are loaded now, and getting SDN at every stop.....Then when you get a board enter them in Orion order, LOL
Then get 2 ocas at the end farthest point from where you are, and will never be near again. Top that off with an air meet, and run the last 50 totally backwards, coz thats where the meet is.... minus 50% in trace, is that possible, LOL
Hours late, 25 mi over.....
Driving an ole POS, when a brand new driver pulls beside me at a light (1 of the 22 on my way to area) in a new truck. My truck shuddering and smoking at the first hint of fuel being applied. He waves, and off he goes. My truck needs a new back door, but was told its not in the budget, so its red tagged. Ups just aint making no $$.
You would think with all the savings of Orion, they could buy a new door......maybe I can loan them some..........
As long as this ole girl holds up, Im straining to carry my paycheck to the bank.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
OMG I am so on the :censored2: list tomorrow. It was like everything that could go wrong did.
Start so late, I went off Orion doing air, I knew I couldnt do it, I think the psychics that do Orion, dont know I start 20 minutes later than everyone else since I am a bad truck driver.
Then my board died...try delivering like we used to, the way they are loaded now, and getting SDN at every stop.....Then when you get a board enter them in Orion order, LOL
Then get 2 ocas at the end farthest point from where you are, and will never be near again. Top that off with an air meet, and run the last 50 totally backwards, coz thats where the meet is.... minus 50% in trace, is that possible, LOL
Hours late, 25 mi over.....
Driving an ole POS, when a brand new driver pulls beside me at a light (1 of the 22 on my way to area) in a new truck. My truck shuddering and smoking at the first hint of fuel being applied. He waves, and off he goes. My truck needs a new back door, but was told its not in the budget, so its red tagged. Ups just aint making no $$.
You would think with all the savings of Orion, they could buy a new door......maybe I can loan them some..........
As long as this ole girl holds up, Im straining to carry my paycheck to the bank.
Make that money n see that bank account get larger. The more stuff that complicates your day the easier and less stressful it is, because you know your screwed and itll be what itll be. I never stress anymore cause I just don't give a dam. Jobs super screwed up so whatever ya know lol. They going to pay me to rock em super deep into the night, then that's what ill kindly do and kick em in the nutts super deep into the night while my pocket gets super duper fatty lmfao.

undies

Use the DVIR we all get and note how unsafe the vehicle is. Be specific. Next tell your management team that you wrote the vehicle up. The next day when nothing is fixed, tell the management team you cannot use the truck due to safety concerns. If all else fails, threaten to call OSHA.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Use the DVIR we all get and note how unsafe the vehicle is. Be specific. Next tell your management team that you wrote the vehicle up. The next day when nothing is fixed, tell the management team you cannot use the truck due to safety concerns. If all else fails, threaten to call OSHA.

"Driving an ole POS" is not a safety concern and most certainly does not warrant a call to OSHA.

oldngray

nowhere special
It IS annoying to be one of most senior and get stuck in an old POS when the newbies get the new trucks first. I was always one of last to get a new truck. I spent about 20 years in iron monster P1000's with no power steering. Everyone else around me had new trucks and would say stupid stuff like "why are you driving this old truck?". I just drove what they gave me. Newer drivers seemed to have an attitude that they were owed a new shiny truck.

Indecisi0n

It IS annoying to be one of most senior and get stuck in an old POS when the newbies get the new trucks first. I was always one of last to get a new truck. I spent about 20 years in iron monster P1000's with no power steering. Everyone else around me had new trucks and would say stupid stuff like "why are you driving this old truck?". I just drove what they gave me. Newer drivers seemed to have an attitude that they were owed a new shiny truck.
Old tuck for an old driver, seems to work.

S

selfcancelsignal

Make that money n see that bank account get larger. The more stuff that complicates your day the easier and less stressful it is, because you know your screwed and itll be what itll be. I never stress anymore cause I just don't give a dam. Jobs super screwed up so whatever ya know lol. They going to pay me to rock em super deep into the night, then that's what ill kindly do and kick em in the nutts super deep into the night while my pocket gets super duper fatty lmfao.
This is what I did once last week & also yesterday due to the offspring of Stevie Wonder & Helen Keller loading in the area of our PDC I've been covering the last couple of weeks. Good effkin lord! No chance when you hafta go back to 5 stops twice, + more than that when you can only run straight air & doing a whole town w/ 2 sets of train tracks.

Sent while driving from my flip phone via T9 word.

upschuck

Had a DIAD message this week that ORION wasn't working and to try and limits miles to show them(higher ups) that ORION is not working(essence of message). This was from local management that knows the system is flawed.

undies

"Driving an ole POS" is not a safety concern and most certainly does not warrant a call to OSHA.

It depends on the driver I guess. If you genuinely feel unsafe driving the vehicle, they cannot force you to. You may look like a big "pusillanimous" because you're complaining and standing your ground, but it gets the job done. Nobody can tell you how to feel!!

You mean the DOT.

AKCoverMan

Somebody said "we're not paid to make decisions".

Are you freakin kidding me? We have to make decisions all day long. We're well paid to do so.

Just a few examples.. Where to park for next delivery.. Should I drive down the mile long private road to the rural house... When do I need to break for NDA and pickups.

I don't know about anyone else but I certainly am paid to make decisions.

Be safe, take care of the customers (100% of the fat paycheck and benefits comes from the customers UPS does not grow money on trees). This is our business as much as if not more than it is managements. Do the right thing for the right reason.

32F driver

Must have been a glitch in the flawed system, as odo was back on Friday:( Well, as usual, I chose not to follow it. And the nice thing is not a word is said anymore about not following stupid, I mean orion.

FilingBluesFL

Nope.

They cant have it both ways.

If we are no longer competent or trustworthy enough to decide what stop to deliver next, we are no longer competent or trustworthy enough to predict whether or not there may be service failures as a result of letting ORION decide what stop to deliver next. We aren't paid to make decisions any longer, right?

We're told to do it one way, until it ends up friend'ing up another one of their precious reports. Then we get the lecture on how we "should make good business decisions."

Like the other day I had medicine cooler next day air that was thrown in the load. When I found it around 1pm, I delivered it immediately.

I got in trouble for that, and told that I should just deliver it in trace instead of making a special trip just to deliver it. Reduce miles, and over-allowed and all that jazz.

So I made sure everyone knew that I was just told that if we have an important medical delivery that UPS didn't want us to deliver it in a timely fashion, and just assume they really didn't need that temperature sensitive medicine until whenever UPS decides they should get it.

MILES ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN SOMEONE GETTING THEIR LIFE SAVING INSULIN. REMEMBER THAT!

I had an early am at the end of one of the routes I did last week. I gave the early am to one of the 2 drivers (the A or the B route) that past the stop on the way to their area. That made Orion obsolete from the get go.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree 100% but as a parent of a child with diabetes if someone let their insulin supply run that low that a delivery running a few hours late was a problem... Shame on them too.

This past Peak I was running a split on our former AFB. I had a delivery of diapers from amazon for a young mother----her first words to me were, "thank God you are here, I am almost out". I guess she doesn't realize that she can buy diapers at Walmart.