ORION is creating its own "METRICS MONSTERS" and the DM's are unhappy?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The bottom line is accountability.

If I have service failures due to following ORION and the company issued the warning letter to ORION, I would have no problem with that.

They arent going to give the warning letter to ORION though. They are going to give it to ME.

The buck stops here, so as long as my ass is on the line its my ass that will be making the decisions, not ORION.

You really dont get it do you? We arent paid to make decisions any longer. We send, via the DIAD , a message communicating any possible service failure and let the management types decide whether to go RDO or stay on ORION.
We are accountable ONLY in the fact that communication must be made with the center if we feel service failures will occur. It's a brilliant,yet simple way to work

End Result: Our Asses are firmly covered, and the lot that manages us get to practice their management skills.

my route is 99.9% residential,and I dont care how many times I go up or down the same street.<shrug> I get paid the same either way.

I really cant state enough how liberating this system is,and my how stress level is GONE. I hit the metric,my customers get their packages and i get compensated very well . its farking win -win-win for all involved

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have decided that it does take the stress away.
It bugs the crap out of me to drive by a street, or a house I know I have and not deliver it, or not deliver bulk first, but in my center, they are extremely adamant I follow it so I do.
I had business in my 8000, I pulled early and got them off as I was scheduled in that area between 530 and 7,(when actually I was there from 615 to 8) these businesses I was told close at four. Then I had to pull for pickups, then I had to pull for an air meet. Then 1/5 of my route were streets Ive never been on. I really had to fight the steering wheel to not go deliver this section early since I dont know it. But it is daylight, so wth. I will not go there in the dark, but thats a few months away, one day at a time. And it will be about safety, I will not do it.
So I guess they pay me to learn new areas. I feel like a rookie.
I just do it like it is listed. I am not fighting them. Screw it. If you cant beat them join them. Not much they can say when you are 90 in trace 10 over on miles, and 2.5 hours late, its their baby.

MethodsMan

I don't understand the point of this whole Orion thing. I'll run that baby to a T all day long, given those guys what they want. Then I find a misload several miles off route. Kaput. All that saving miles for nothing. This seems like it happens almost daily lately.

union4life

I don't understand the point of this whole Orion thing. I'll run that baby to a T all day long, given those guys what they want. Then I find a misload several miles off route. Kaput. All that saving miles for nothing. This seems like it happens almost daily lately.
Kaput? Not in my center. We are instructed to sheet misloads off area as missed, They are too affraid of missing the mileage number, Our center team is trading service failures for miles.
What a sad situation.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I am thinking this is what is coming next. This week has been ok, my regular loader is back, when hes off, these kids loading get no training, and thrown to the front of the belt with 3 heavy cars, and splitting the belt.. its a disaster. And yet all the flavor of the month is, is miles and trace. The fact that my overallow is skyrocketing, no one seems to care as long as I am on trace and miles. Good with me, those I can and will manage, at any cost.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You really dont get it do you? We arent paid to make decisions any longer. We send, via the DIAD , a message communicating any possible service failure and let the management types decide whether to go RDO or stay on ORION.
We are accountable ONLY in the fact that communication must be made with the center if we feel service failures will occur. It's a brilliant,yet simple way to work

Nope.

They cant have it both ways.

If we are no longer competent or trustworthy enough to decide what stop to deliver next, we are no longer competent or trustworthy enough to predict whether or not there may be service failures as a result of letting ORION decide what stop to deliver next. We aren't paid to make decisions any longer, right?

30yearstolife

There are lots of decisions that UPS no longer allows the driver to make such as whether to run a miss-load, what time we will make pick-ups (anyone remember 2:30 pickup audits? You were allowed to pickup anytime after 2:30 and before closing time) etc. etc.

Perhaps UPS sees value in having us deliver according to ORION order in order to be able to tell customers an accurate delivery time. Perhaps it is to dumb-down the job to eventually cut labor costs.

Whatever the reason they have for implementing ORION before it is ready, I don't care. I get paid to work as directed no matter how foolish the reason. When reducing missed deliveries was the flavor of the month I was told to run miss-loads that would cost 45 minutes each. If it is not unsafe, illegal or immoral, it is their call. Just show me the money.

To paraphrase Alfred, Lord Tennyson...
Theirs not to make reply, Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to deliver & die,

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBeef42

It seems ups is willing to risk injury/fatalities/property damage for the sake of saving gasoline. Congrats Big Brown! Weeeeeeeeeeeee

Sent using BrownCafe App

kingOFchester

If you have a backing accident from trying to follow ORION which do you think would be more important to UPS? 85% ORION compliance or the accident?

I will say it again. Orion does not communicate to the driver when and where to back. It simply lists the stops in the order it wants you to deliver. A lot of the time the shortest distance between stops is backing, but I have been instructed to back only when necessary. So I take the path of least resistance to my next stop.

My management team has even told me that miles are not as important as the trace. 85% or better. For now anyway. I guess they lose more points for not being trace, then being miles over.

In our center its seems that Orion doesn't actually cut miles but instead insist us to go against the methods and habits to accomplish this. On my Orion ride I was told to back up concrete drive ways. We have had drivers charged with accidents for cracking concrete and leaking oil on them. 30 inch selection area is gone. I was also not allowed to take my lunch between my 4th and 6th. I'm on a rural route so most times at lunch I'm usually at least 2 miles away from food. I was told to take lunch around my 3rd hour to avoid accumulating excess miles. After the ride I asked my center manager if orion will be held liable if I damage concrete reducing miles, his response interpreted that I would be. I told him with that in mind and a horrible preload orion will never work. I told him I get paid by the hour and I don't mind working out of the left side of my package car. Orion is an electronic supervisor that screams micromanagement! I would like to know in center that have went live with Orion if their has been an increase in accidents and injuries. I bet no one will ever get ahold of those figures.

Last edited:

soberups

In our center its seems that Orion doesn't actually cut miles but instead insist us to go against the methods and habits to accomplish this. On my Orion ride I was told to back up concrete drive ways. We have had drivers charged with accidents for cracking concrete and leaking oil on them. 30 inch selection area is gone. I was also not allowed to take my lunch between my 4th and 6th. I'm on a rural route so most times at lunch I'm usually at least 2 miles away from food. I was told to take lunch around my 3rd hour to avoid accumulating excess miles. After the ride I asked my center manager if orion will be held liable if I damage concrete reducing miles, his response interpreted that I would be. I told him with that in mind and a horrible preload orion will never work. I told him I get paid by the hour and I don't mind working out of the left side of my package car. Orion is an electronic supervisor that screams micromanagement! I would like to know in center that have went live with Orion if their has been an increase in accidents and injuries. I bet no one will ever get ahold of those figures.
You decide when and where to take lunch, not ORION.

You decide when and where to break trace in order to use suitable restroom facilities, not ORION.

You decide when and where to back, not ORION.

Your job is to run the route as safely and efficiently as possible, not to generate some arbitrary ORION compliance metric.

oldngray

nowhere special
The contract here says lunch will be taken between the 4th and 6th hour and there is no way an ORION geek could force you to violate that.

soberups

When I had my ORION implentation ride, I was respectful and cooperative. I did everything I could to explain the particulars of my route and to do my part to help him succeed.

I was also very firm and assertive with him prior to leaving the building. I made it very clear to him that I would be deciding when and where to back and when and where to take lunch and breaks. He chose not to argue with me and we wound up getting along OK.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We shut Orion off today, Because our air was late. I got screwed so bad, They had to make sure I had enough work which constituted 1/2 of another route, then I got 20 air and savers. Punched out at 9, broke down at 930, got home at 11:23. Funny thing...the gy I met at 6pm to take my air was done, and I had all his work. Not a happy person. Orion, Pluto, whatever they pull out of the stellar system, Im all done working til 9. 9.5 list Im finally here.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I punched out last night at 10pm and home by 11pm. 180 stops and 183 miles. Helped a slacknutt out lol. I was like what the heck ill rock em for 4 hours ot at 50 bux an hour. Always mind over matter and did I mention I LOVE CHEESE lmfao.

oldngray

nowhere special
I punched out last night at 10pm and home by 11pm. 180 stops and 183 miles. Helped a slacknutt out lol. I was like what the heck ill rock em for 4 hours ot at 50 bux an hour. Always mind over matter and did I mention I LOVE CHEESE lmfao.

When you know you will be over allowed every day its a lot easier to stay out late for big bucks. Its the people who try to burn it up and skip breaks to make bonus who get pissed at having to go help someone else out.