overdispatching

DS

Fenderbender
Volume here is up for some weird reason,it's too early to call it peak,but our hub is a big one,and the jump is not being handled well by preload.
After 2 weeks of punching out after 8:30,I vented my concern to the preload sup.He said my hands are tied,I am only allowed to street 43 cars(in our center) but they are way off with their predictions,and everyone is ending up with 25 more stops than an 8.5 planned day.
I had to meet up with 4 drivers today to exchange stops and misloads.
I hate getting home at 10PM.
They promise you help.and there is none.The only way to get help is to tell them you will go over 12hours without it.
Someone shows up at 7pm and takes 15 of the 40 stops you have left.:angry:
Ticked in Toronto.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ketter audit here, preload belt turned down to where it should be. Preloaders, and drivers got 1/2 hr OT. Just look forward to friend and Sat, DS, thats all we can do.

SpoolEmUp

I am noticing the same phenomenon at my center.

My route, on a long day has 105-110 stops (all have to be done by 3:00), then from 3:00-6:00 are pickups scheduled 5 minutes apart (some scheduled at the same time WTF). My airs are usually 5-10.

The last week or two, I've been getting 17-20 airs and 130 stops. When I bring it up with my orm, he's like, "and?"

No Gouda.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We have been in business, for 105 yrs, and we are suprised volume has picked up, and Geez, do you think anyone has yet to plan the Christmas will come on the 25th? (of Decmber, if you are a new person and want to make a wild prediction) on volume.

jaker

trolling
Same here in our hub , let's take cars out say the volume is down and load up drivers my route used to be around 120 , now 145 to 150 oh that's right volume is down right now so we are taking routes out because some paper whore say so and it will make the numbers better

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I've been looking light myself, well 2 out of 3 days that is. Once I get two over 9.5's (be it over 11.0 or what have you) under my belt the rest of the week is gold. They just got hit with having to pay adjustment for over 400 bucks for 5 grievances settled a month ago. Now my neighbors in my loop that run and gun, well they look like they've been slammed, whether that's my work or extra work I dunno. Whatever the case may be they'll be going into peak wore out because they won't listen/are scared/care only about themselves to fix the problem. You can lead a horse to water but .....

satellitedriver

Welcome to my world, DS.
Sans the help.
After 3 years of 10 ,11hr to 12hr days, due to low volume, now I only have two 11hr days and three 9.5hr days.
A four driver area now is a 3 driver area, they will send a part timer on a hundred mile trip to sit for an hour and wait to take the pickups back to the center. The drivers just have to stay out.
I feel so proud that the new stops per car metric, and the ludicrous add/cut's, is making the numbers look good to corp.
I feel so ashamed at the waste of manpower and resources that make corp think they are efficient.
All one can do is to be able to adapt to stupidity.

over9five

Staff member
It will be a LIGHT day here, there was no incoming volume last night.

Of course, they will cut more routes, and keep you out late anyhow....

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I get so tired of hearing about people that work 3 weeks straight of 11 hour days, yet never filed a 9.5 grievance. Use the tools you have available.

ibleedbrown

these are the kind of horror stories that scare people from becoming drivers. in my hub i would say 70% of drivers are close to retirement. what will ups do once those drivers are gone? they will be hard pressed to find people that will do or put up w the job as well as the guys who are about to retire. maybe thats when they lower the pay rate and work load on newly hired drivers...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
these are the kind of horror stories that scare people from becoming drivers. in my hub i would say 70% of drivers are close to retirement. what will ups do once those drivers are gone? they will be hard pressed to find people that will do or put up w the job as well as the guys who are about to retire. maybe thats when they lower the pay rate and work load on newly hired drivers...

If no one elects from the inside, UPS will hire from the outside. If so, I predict 10,000 applicants per job opening.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Welcome to my world, DS.
Sans the help.
After 3 years of 10 ,11hr to 12hr days, due to low volume, now I only have two 11hr days and three 9.5hr days.
A four driver area now is a 3 driver area, they will send a part timer on a hundred mile trip to sit for an hour and wait to take the pickups back to the center. The drivers just have to stay out.
I feel so proud that the new stops per car metric, and the ludicrous add/cut's, is making the numbers look good to corp.
I feel so ashamed at the waste of manpower and resources that make corp think they are efficient.
All one can do is to be able to adapt to stupidity.
Obviously, you have not been successful in "adapting" ... if you had, you would actually believe it was a good and successful thing. Hang in there ... not long now.

ibleedbrown

yeah but very few of those people will be able to perform the job and or be willing to put up with it, poor economy or not.

it reminds me of my area on the twilight sort, 80% of us are making over $20 an hour but we all do twice the workload. if we werent there ups would have double the employees making $8.50 thus making the workload easier to handle. so maybe if ups did this with the drivers maybe they would be able to handle it. instead of the top rate being 30 it would be 15 but the work day would be half as grueling. then again i dont think it would b economical to have double the cars out and double the gas and mileage, workers benefits etc etc.

tarbar66

yeah but very few of those people will be able to perform the job and or be willing to put up with it, poor economy or not.

it reminds me of my area on the twilight sort, 80% of us are making over $20 an hour but we all do twice the workload. if we werent there ups would have double the employees making $8.50 thus making the workload easier to handle. so maybe if ups did this with the drivers maybe they would be able to handle it. instead of the top rate being 30 it would be 15 but the work day would be half as grueling. then again i dont think it would b economical to have double the cars out and double the gas and mileage, workers benefits etc etc.

Maybe Pretzel could tell us but in My experience IE used to figure the cost for anything at the highest top pay rate. In this case it would not matter about the pay rate of the driver.

The cost per car day was $200.00. That's why automotive used to be under the gun to always have the right cube cars available to keep from double tripping.

Bristol Brown

If our centre is anything to go by there will be very few drivers on road come peak time as most will be signed off by their doctors with stress.

You can be sure the usual idiots who have never had a day off sick will be working their nuts off and skipping their dinner break to get the job done.

Its these idiots that ruin it for everyone.

Last edited:

nocturnalbuck

I get so tired of hearing about people that work 3 weeks straight of 11 hour days, yet never filed a 9.5 grievance. Use the tools you have available.

I've only been a driver for a few years so maybe i'm not soured just yet. But my feeling is that I'd like to work WITH my bosses to limit the stress. If it be working longer than wanted a lot, so be it. I realize numbers are suppose to be met and thus far they seem to have worked WITH me. Just don't work me 11+ so my loop buddy gets to his couch after 8.5.

nocturnalbuck

If our centre is anything to go by there will be very few drivers on road come peak time as most will be signed off by their doctors with stress.

You can be sure the usual idiots who have never had a day off sick will be working their nuts off and skipping their dinner break to get the job done.

Its these idiots that ruin it for everyone.
Since you seem to be from near the north pole, maybe the limited sunlight is a stress factor.