Overnite strike over

B

badhab1

The Teamster have ended their three year strike against overnite. The report says that the last 500 went back to work. Proved to be a tough nut for the boys to crack.

T

tieguy

The case was not only an embarrassment for Hoffa but one for the NLRB which proved to be impotent in enforcing its will.

W

wkmac

Had all that 3 year energy and effort been used in Washington DC against FredEx instead of Overnight I dare say we might have been a lot better off and when I say we I mean everyone at UPS. Even if IBT is never able to organize FredEx, if they can scare them into raising pay and benefits this hits their bottom line and this helps us longer term. JMO.

P

proups

I saw an HBO special on this one. This was an embarassment to the Teamsters, and proves that a company can just say no to their ridiculous demands, hire replacement workers, and keep on doing business. Overnite never stopped working, they just did it with different people.

Hopefully the Teamsters will learn something from this and start negotiating with companies whose employees they represent in good faith - not going after more "golden eggs."

(Message edited by proups on October 27, 2002)

T

thedrooler

Pro
I saw the same program. The rank and file of the teamsters union was played like a fiddle by teamster honchos. I hope they paid close attention.

Drooler

H

hr

A clipping From Traffic World:

Down for the Count
Teamsters end Overnite strike;
UP's 'deep pockets,' adverse court
decisions defeated organizing drive

It's Overnite, by a knockout.

That's the final count in the International Brotherhood of Teamsters' three-year unfair labor practice strike against Richmond, Va.-based Overnite Transportation Co. The Teamsters union called off its walkout late last month.

A key factor in Overnite's success in warding off the high-profile organizing effort largely was its ability to utilize the deep pockets of parent Union Pacific Corp. The strike cost Overnite millions of dollars, especially in the early days of the walkout in October 1999. But Overnite Chairman, President and CEO Leo H. Suggs got the go-ahead from UP to spend "whatever it takes" to keep Overnite union-free.

"We are pleased the Teamsters have finally seen fit to end this walkout and end the damage they have caused to those Overnite employees and their families who chose to support them," Suggs said.