Part Time Mng - hours cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

laborer

brownsurvivor: If your working for benefits only, why take on the headache of being a P/T sup? As a part-timer you have the option of choosing what shift and job you work. If you don't need the hours just work your 3.5 and go home. There are no payments for healthcare and you will(hopefully)receive a pension(after 5 years vesting) through the UPS pension plan. Supes don't generally have a lot of say in what shift they are put on or moved to. Whatever your decision, Good Luck.

B

brownsurvivor

First of all I want to thank everyone that replied. I've been a p/t loader for 1 yr, never been sick, never been late, give 200% everyday loading 4 industrial cars. Overall I must admit I am probably won of the best at what I do. However, my body is taking a beating, are shifts are closer to 5 hrs not 3.5 and I can't see doing this for 20 years. Basically this job can be a headache as a loader or p/t sup. So the way I see it is if I can make a difference loading cars I can make a difference as a p/t sup. As for the pay if it comes out to $100 more a week, that would be over $100,000 in 20 yrs without investing. I will become a p/t sup and keep surviving. thx all.

S

speeddemon

Bisongolfer.......Lazy drivers? You have no clue. Sit in your chair and keep your ignorance in check.

B

bisongolfer

Speeddemon-
I'm not saying that drivers dont work hard, I got a very very small taste has a helper during peak. I know how drivers bust their tail day in and day out, But just like everything else in the world, there are always a couple people who are slack to say the least. And if you think every driver out there wearing Brown attempts to do their best all the time, you're the one who needs a reality check. There will always be the minority who could careless, and only want their paycheck. I was simply saying that I had two drivers at my center who consistantly toy around instead of doing their jobs to the best of their ability like the rest of the 82 drivers at my ctr. So I'll keep my ignorance in check as long as you wake up and get real.

M

mojobuc

brownsurvivor,
did you make the move to p/t sup?
If so, how's it going?

And anyone ever hear from 'Opie'?
Pretty sure he/she was going for p/t sup. as well and wondering how it is doing.

J

jimc83

im a pt sup and in my center i was told i can go over 5.5 in a day, but not over 27.5 in a week. but with staffing problems and heavy volume, im being told to come in at 300 instead of 330. so by friday, ill be at 27.5 by 700. itll be real funny to see what they will tell me then!! ive gone over 15mins some weeks and never have heard the end of it.

S

speeddemon

Bison, most of our drivers do bust thier ass. We have 1 out of 25 that is a slacker. Good ratio dont you think? There is a bag difference between being a helper and being a driver. So go play some golf.

8up

the plan of 5.5 hrs. is to hold the friend/t mgmt accountable so as not to abuse the p/t sups. of course if the business dictates that you have to work 6.5 some days, then you get a benefit and are no longer just forcing more hours upon their salary which used to be planned at 6. hrs. of course the extra cost to pay for those extra hours is now a hot topic as the company is always trying to control costs. i remember that being the formula taught in by business class. increase revenue, control costs and you get higher profits. i guess it still holds true.

S

spidey

Well, it's working. I worked just over 7.5 hours today, got paid for 5.5 and had to use my car to run an onroad around for close to 30 miles.

I love my guys, but it's getting hard to keep taking it in the pocketbook so they can make their #'s. What do I do, walk out and leave the drivers on road, the timecards not done, the reports not run, the same day will calls not picked up? I wish IE would just let my management team run their own center...

W

wily_old_vet

thought p/t sups got ot now? Wasn't there a lawsuit about it in Ca?

S

spidey

Paid if it shows we worked it, sure. We are instructed to not go over, no matter what. They know our jobs can't be done in 5.5. I fill out my PTRS at 5.5 hours first thing every shift, cause it doesn't matter one bit what I really work... Today it was actually 5.5. Yippie!

M

mojobuc

spidey,
we still are being told 5.5 no mater what.
We are to leave a note for what ever is not done, then of course the next day explain why we couldn't get it done.

Staffing issues/heavy volume.
I use it every time, because it is normally true.

P

psstdrvr

p/t sups get what they deserve. welcome to the way ups treats everyone, why do you think no one smiles! if you think its going to get better you are in for a rude awakening. we lost 13 p/t sups this year alone.. none replaced!!!! look at the writing on the wall. ELI great hub to work in.

S

spidey

"p/t sups get what they deserve."

No, they don't. That's the point. What, I have some horrible karmatic past that allows UPS to not pay me for hours worked?

Substitute "Drivers get what they deserve" or "Loaders get what they deserve".

Think before you type.

M

mojobuc

"p/t sups get what they deserve. welcome to the way ups treats everyone, why do you think no one smiles!"

psstdrvr
I left so make it 14 counting W.C.FL, but I 'usually' smiled.
If your so bitter and hateful, why stay?

It's usually people get what they deserve for staying in a position they no longer like. There are some exceptions, like spidey who is a single parent and doing what is necassary for her family.

But I am assuming you are a driver by your screen name, so why not save some of that money you make, build yourself a cash safety net and get out. I know I made more in a week at driving school, then in 2 as a p/t sup with less then 2 years service and still managed to survive.

Even though I quit, the job wasn't for me, UPS helped me to support my family and keep them safe, for which I am grateful.

Dude, life is too short.

P

psstdrvr

oh, i'm smiling too!! all the way to the bank, this new edd system is giving me 18hrs a week in o/t and i'm taking full advantage of it at ups's expense! considerate it payback. by the way spidey i am getting paid by ups for another grievence filed because p/t sups like you continue to do union work! thanks for lining my pocket while you don't get paid for your hardwork.. maybe you should think twice.

S

spidey

It does bring me some comfort; knowing that as hard as it is sometimes to smile through my job, as hard as it is to make ends meet, I am obviously a much happier person than some others, even those with more than enough.

I wish you well.

(Message edited by spidey on June 22, 2005)

T

tieguy

"I just think it is a shame that UPS doesnt treat their Pt mgmt people better. The ones here are so committed, and they abuse them because of it."

Tooner I think they do treat them better. They gave them PTRS so no part sup would end up working 8 to 10 hours a day without being compensated for it( like we did?) But now that there is a cost to the overtime UPS the company we all know and lover, will darn sure try to reduce that cost.

T

toonertoo

Tie where you been?
Yes our PT sups get paid for OT now, but now they are not aloud to work OT.
Spidey, as dedicated as you are and a single parent also, needing the job, been there done that, leave it undone. You are not benefitting anyone by working over what you get paid for. I Wish I would have, (hindsight is wonderful), left work undone so they would have known who was doing it. As I always tell my kids "learn from others mistakes", youll make enough new ones". UPS and the drivers etc, will suffer momentarily, but its all in a days work. They will either see they need you more than you are there, or a FT will get the load of what you were doing. Either way, life goes on, and those kids need you more than UPS, and life is wayyyyy tooo short to miss out on the kids. Trust me, been there.

G

gadistrict

My PT sups get OT when they work it. But we have it worked out pretty good so that no one really has to unless it is just one of those days. But I agree that a lot of pt sups don't get the credit/compensation they deserve. OMS's don't get credit from drivers as they should neither, but OMSs run the show a lot of the times. And the pt sups in the reload and preload bust their tail too. Hopefully one day you all will get what you deserve, a big fat raise/bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.