Part timer planning on voting yes: Change my mind.

Bag_Tosser

I know this is going to get me flamed off the boards but please hear me and my situation out.

I have been working part time for the company for almost two years at one of the biggest hubs in the country. Additionally I work another job in the evening and the overlap equals to working 7 days a week which sucks but it's what I need to do to pay the bills and still be able to put a little aside for the future. So this crying about working on Sundays means little to me, I do it right now as it is.

This contract is proposing to give me a $1.50 raise immediately plus the annual progression (which doesn't suck as bad as retail where you are LUCKY to see a .40 raise) and I get to keep my Healthcare plan which is something I have never been able to afford on my own as well as keep my paid holidays and additional benefits that I would never see in (almost) any other business.

You want me to feel sorry for you drivers who were complaining about the crazy amount of hours you worked during peak and even threatened a slow down but now turn around and whine that they are cutting into your hours with the new hybrid drivers, are you for real?!

TL: DR This contract is almost exactly what I as a part timer was looking for, a big enough raise to consider the possibility of dropping my other job as well as no reduction in benefits.

Tell me why I should turn my back on that and threaten my future for yours?

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
You are giving up 6hr to be a hybrid then being a RCPD. If you feel like taking a pay cut of the bat and being worked 13 to 14hrs a day with no 9.5 protection then be my guest. This will also make it hard for you to become a RCPD in the future and will cause a divide between the union in regards to wages. What you should be asking for is the same wage as RCPD for 22.4s yo work weekends and 9.5 protections. No catch up raises and weak contract language is why you should vote No, at the end of the day you need to look at the future not the now and think is this a good deal.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
TL: DR This contract is almost exactly what I as a part timer was looking for, a big enough raise to consider the possibility of dropping my other job as well as no reduction in benefits.

If you vote no, you might get even more. If you vote yes, you definitely won't.

mikejonesjr

Yep. This contract is better for pters with under 2 years seniority than it is for everybody else. Screws all the current pt workers who have put more time in and don't get any catch up pay and remain underpaid. Along with the other many concessions of the contract that either don't affect you or you don't care about bc hey"I've only been here a year and I get a shiny $1.50 raise this year." Can only hope most of you blind uniformed new hires don't vote yes on this concession contract, as they are hoping on you guys for it to pass. Most I know are voting no since they see the big picture.

If after 2 years you’re still unable to go driving you still won’t have the seniority to be a combo driver. The people looking for full time jobs with UPS are still gonna he looking for full time jobs with UPS. UPS WILL NOT be actively looking for regular drivers til they’ve fully taken advantage of the cheaper labor source.

If you don’t wanna go full time and a buck fifty solves all your finanacial problems consider they until you go driving, either in a combo job or regular job your hours will very likely be cut by a combo worker.

Bag_Tosser

You are giving up 6hr to be a hybrid then being a RCPD. If you feel like taking a pay cut of the bat and being worked 13 to 14hrs a day with no 9.5 protection then be my guest. This will also make it hard for you to become a RCPD in the future and will cause a divide between the union in regards to wages. What you should be asking for is the same wage as RCPD for 22.4s yo work weekends and 9.5 protections. No catch up raises and weak contract language is why you should vote No, at the end of the day you need to look at the future not the now and think is this a good deal.

I am a package handler and honestly have little interest currently in becoming a driver. So what concerns me is the raise, not touching the current benefits, and the spread of automation which is a pretty scary reality to me.

I am a package handler and honestly have little interest currently in becoming a driver. So what concerns me is the raise, not touching the current benefits, and the spread of automation which is a pretty scary reality to me.
This contract does not protect any of our jobs from automation. And it’s very likely that combo guys will also steal part time work. So you may see a raise and a decrease in hours, possibly negating the benefits of the raise.

Bag_Tosser

If you don’t wanna go full time and a buck fifty solves all your finanacial problems consider they until you go driving, either in a combo job or regular job your hours will very likely be cut by a combo worker.

There we go, That right there is a scary possibility and would make me consider voting no

F

Frankie's Friend

I know this is going to get me flamed off the boards but please hear me and my situation out.

I have been working part time for the company for almost two years at one of the biggest hubs in the country. Additionally I work another job in the evening and the overlap equals to working 7 days a week which sucks but it's what I need to do to pay the bills and still be able to put a little aside for the future. So this crying about working on Sundays means little to me, I do it right now as it is.

This contract is proposing to give me a $1.50 raise immediately plus the annual progression (which doesn't suck as bad as retail where you are LUCKY to see a .40 raise) and I get to keep my Healthcare plan which is something I have never been able to afford on my own as well as keep my paid holidays and additional benefits that I would never see in (almost) any other business.

You want me to feel sorry for you drivers who were complaining about the crazy amount of hours you worked during peak and even threatened a slow down but now turn around and whine that they are cutting into your hours with the new hybrid drivers, are you for real?!

When you use the word "whine" and post other condemning remarks about drivers that are probably way older and more vested in this company than you you've just lost my attention for disrespecting long time ups employees who are actually looking out for your and thousands of other part time workers futures.

You're either an arrogant 18 month employee or a troll.

mikejonesjr

There we go, That right there is a scary possibility and would make me consider voting no
Oh don't forget the new added change in language that basically used to say "employees can not be discharged due to technology" and it now was changed to say "DRIVERS can not be discharged due to technology." So good luck quitting your other job and then getting fired a month later from UPS as a pter since you voted in a contract that can fire you for missing scans.

Last edited:
You want me to feel sorry for you drivers who were complaining about the crazy amount of hours you worked during peak and even threatened a slow down but now turn around and whine that they are cutting into your hours with the new hybrid drivers, are you for real?

There is a very big gulf between 70 hours and 40. I want overtime, hell, NEED OT. But 70 hours of carrying beds and mattresses to 3rd floor apartments is unsafe and excessive.

Go ahead and come to vote. Take the quick money now and get a lot less later.

I’m scared of automation! I’ve got 20 years before retirement and technology is going to improve a lot before then. UPS will take advantage of that as much as we allow it. Hell, look at how much amazon automated their facilities and Bezos wants them to be completely automated. Not to mention what’s going to happen with sell driving cars and drones.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

What is your situation exactly? How much do you make now, and how much do you expect to make under the new contract? It may be fine for you right now, but you need to see the big picture. The contract may benefit a small slice of the membership in the short term, but it hurts the majority over all. The chances of a strike are low, so there is no reason not to vote no. If we get a better deal, you get retroactive pay so you won't miss out on anything.

What is your situation exactly? How much do you make now, and how much do you expect to make under the new contract? It may be fine for you right now, but you need to see the big picture. The contract may benefit a small slice of the membership in the short term, but it hurts the majority over all. The chances of a strike are low, so there is no reason not to vote no. If we get a better deal, you get retroactive pay so you won't miss out on anything.
Also, voting no pretty much guarantees the same raise or better.