Part-timers deserve better.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Western conference. Our pension benefit grows proportionally to how much is contributed.

OK..People let us get this straight the Western Conference is paying almost twice as much as the fellow members (full time and part time) in the IBT/UPS plan.

Per Article 34 master the same amount of monetary contributions from the company are going into every members Pension and Health and Welfare plans weekly (maybe).

Cost of living on the west coast is a non factor, maybe only in the larger cities. They can still collect their superior pension benefits and move to the Midwest or South.

Facts: 30 year full time pension under the Western is at 7200, 35 year full
time pension is at 8250.

30 year pension under the IBT/UPS is at 3500 till
2020 then goes up to 3900, 35 year will pay 4300 in 2020.

Part time pension benefit under the Western is paying twice as
much as those under the UPS Pension Plan for the
same amount of service.

Past Part time service gets credit on a better average
with your full time service in the Western than the
IBT/UPS Plan.

Why would any body in their ever loving right mind close to retirement or thinking about retirement in the Central Conference and Southern ever vote yes on this...:sick:

Wake up everybody.. Please..:cursing:

Last edited:

brown_trousers

time pension is at 8250.

same amount of service.
we invested our pension dollars with the union, not the company. the union invested well, and we reap the benefits

although we could easily have ended up like central states also.

more risk = more reward, or sometimes the opposite

Coldworld

60 months and counting
we invested our pension dollars with the union, not the company. the union invested well, and we reap the benefits

although we could easily have ended up like central states also.

more risk = more reward, or sometimes the opposite
The western conference is a very diverse plan... many companies many different industries.....it’s been around since 1955 and is still going strong....part timers and ft folks are in the same plan ....diversity is the absolute key here

DELACROIX

Your diversity is one of the reasons your fund is so strong, another is that you had every member participating in that pension trust. One of the reasons for the Central States underfunding is that all those part time positions created over the many decades were never contributing, they were always under control of the company. They were paying peanuts to cover these part time employees, pennies to the dollars compared to the full timers in the Central.

What the heck the Union was collecting full union dues from the ones who started part time in the 70's, 80's and 90's, why not collect twice the amount for a full time position. I believe during the l993 contract they actually tried to negotiate these part timers into the Central States plan, it did not happen.

The company offer to take over the pension benefits back in l997 forced the trustees of that plan to raise it accordingly causing more financial stress on the fund. With many of the freight divisions declaring bankruptcy and getting off the hook for their projected payments and the inability of the Teamsters to recruit new participants into the trust it basically destroyed any hope of getting that fund to the proper funding limits. Nothing short of a miracle will save it from default and UPS is still liable for any reduction caused by it's underfunding. Hence the reason that our retirement benefits are inferior to the West.

Time for change

So why wouldn’t it be a good idea for the company to control pension? Bet central states wouldn’t have had those issues. Union just need to justify their existence and have some UPS money to help spread the wealth? I’m delighted union doesn’t control mine. Poor drivers would have a mechanic type pension if CityInItaly type people weren’t in charge.

What a shock.

That's what happens.... when you can't behave like an adult.
DAY8s6GKRKoVO.gif

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Your diversity is one of the reasons your fund is so strong, another is that you had every member participating in that pension trust. One of the reasons for the Central States underfunding is that all those part time positions created over the many decades were never contributing, they were always under control of the company. They were paying peanuts to cover these part time employees, pennies to the dollars compared to the full timers in the Central.

What the heck the Union was collecting full union dues from the ones who started part time in the 70's, 80's and 90's, why not collect twice the amount for a full time position. I believe during the l993 contract they actually tried to negotiate these part timers into the Central States plan, it did not happen.

The company offer to take over the pension benefits back in l997 forced the trustees of that plan to raise it accordingly causing more financial stress on the fund. With many of the freight divisions declaring bankruptcy and getting off the hook for their projected payments and the inability of the Teamsters to recruit new participants into the trust it basically destroyed any hope of getting that fund to the proper funding limits. Nothing short of a miracle will save it from default and UPS is still liable for any reduction caused by it's underfunding. Hence the reason that our retirement benefits are inferior to the West.

Comparing the Western Conference to Central States, is like comparing apples to oranges.

The deregulation of the freight industry is what has caused the problem for Central States.

While organizing is the lifeblood of any Union.... it has to be in measured steps.

In some organizing campaigns (if you win) a Local will never recoup the money spent

during the effort through the collection of future Union dues.

The other salient point.... Central States has (8) different pension benefit levels.

Not every company organized, can afford to contribute the highest level possible. (18 a)

With UPS.... it's a moot point, at this time.

-Bug-

bowhnterdon

OK..People let us get this straight the Western Conference is paying almost twice as much as the fellow members (full time and part time) in the IBT/UPS plan.

Per Article 34 master the same amount of monetary contributions from the company are going into every members Pension and Health and Welfare plans weekly (maybe).

Cost of living on the west coast is a non factor, maybe only in the larger cities. They can still collect their superior pension benefits and move to the Midwest or South.

time pension is at 8250.

same amount of service.

Past Part time service gets credit on a better average
with your full time service in the Western than the
IBT/UPS Plan.

Why would any body in their ever loving right mind close to retirement or thinking about retirement in the Central Conference and Southern ever vote yes on this...:sick:

Wake up everybody.. Please..:cursing:
I am getting ready to retire.I am in JC 83 plan. We get even less than the CS plan. I am voting NO

DELACROIX

Union dues have nothing to do with benefit contributions.[/QUOTE

If those thousands of part time jobs were not created in the first place and only full time positions existed it would of helped the Central States funding from the beginning.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Our area is definitely trying to grease up the PT votes
upload_2018-7-26_10-44-57.png

$1 starting GWI, area-specific bonus raises factored in. This means newish hires under a handful of years (including my fat a**) will be at $16 like everybody else that's been here for 6 years.
Driver helper bullet is vague. Word of mouth is a paltry $2 flat increase ($11 to $13? LOL) and closing a loophole that prevented overtime hours from accumulating from the the sort. There are two seperate sections: October 15 to December 31 (which needs a serious overhaul from the current language) and January 1-15. If all the improvements are for January forward, then nothing will have been fixed.

brown_trousers

View attachment 204085
$1 starting GWI, area-specific bonus raises factored in. This means newish hires under a handful of years (including my fat a**) will be at $16 like everybody else that's been here for 6 years.
Driver helper bullet is vague. Word of mouth is a paltry $2 flat increase ($11 to $13? LOL) and closing a loophole that prevented overtime hours from accumulating from the the sort. There are two seperate sections: October 15 to December 31 (which needs a serious overhaul from the current language) and January 1-15. If all the improvements are for January forward, then nothing will have been fixed.

Thank you for posting that. I've been waiting for some news on our rider, this is the first i've heard of it.

Do you have any info on the western supplement?

Blackstream

View attachment 204085
Apparently my local started the 6th hour second 10 minute break thing. It's getting a ton of use here now too... I think the majority of the building goes over 6 hours in a shift now.

Also the bonus language stuff is actually good, assuming it goes to everyone not just part timers. Considering the union could not get UPS to either stop giving out bonuses or pay everyone the bonus, having it in the supplement is nice. Of course with the minimum wage where UPS wants it, they probably won't give out bonuses anymore, lol.

Also that :censored2:ing language for the raises. This 'allows for' and 'possibility of' :censored2: all over there is terrible. I can tell you guys exactly what happened last contract when my local got similar language. Got the bonus raise on our first year, got no bonus raises the remaining 4 years. I hope allows for means you guaranteed to get it at least, but the possibility of clause I would bet money will never actually happen.