screwUPS

@Tony Q The way I read it, it doesn't matter if he completed a full time progression if he completed his A40 progression, provided he went inside/inside then feeder within 2 years. Where are you reading that he MUST complete any other full time progression?

No employee shall be required to complete a full-time progression more than one (I) time even if he or she transfers between full-time jobs except as set forth in this paragraph.

No requirement to complete any 4 year progression here. Simply protects you from being forced to do it twice. Protects FT Drivers from having to go back to start rate when they enter feeders.

The sole exception is when an employee is awarded a package car or feeder driver job and has not previously held a full-time job which includes driving duties. In such event, the employee will have a break-in rate equal to the employee’s current wage rate until six (6) months from the date the employee entered the job. The employee will then go to the prevailing top rate.

Protects 22.3, etc. guys from dropping back down if they want a FT driving job.

A part-time air driver who has completed the Article 40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver job within two (2) years shall have the same break-in period.

The A40 progression in effect replaces the normal driving progression. This is a restatement of the previous sentence, but with explicit language to include former PT Air Drivers with other full time employees. This is to protect him from EXACTLY what management said their reasoning was! What am I missing here?

Tony Q

@Tony Q The way I read it, it doesn't matter if he completed a full time progression if he completed his A40 progression, provided he went inside/inside then feeder within 2 years. Where are you reading that he MUST complete any other full time progression?

No employee shall be required to complete a full-time progression more than one (I) time even if he or she transfers between full-time jobs except as set forth in this paragraph.

No requirement to complete any 4 year progression here. Simply protects you from being forced to do it twice. Protects FT Drivers from having to go back to start rate when they enter feeders.

The sole exception is when an employee is awarded a package car or feeder driver job and has not previously held a full-time job which includes driving duties. In such event, the employee will have a break-in rate equal to the employee’s current wage rate until six (6) months from the date the employee entered the job. The employee will then go to the prevailing top rate.

Protects 22.3, etc. guys from dropping back down if they want a FT driving job.

A part-time air driver who has completed the Article 40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver job within two (2) years shall have the same break-in period.

The A40 progression in effect replaces the normal driving progression. This is a restatement of the previous sentence, but with explicit language to include former PT Air Drivers with other full time employees. This is to protect him from EXACTLY what management said their reasoning was! What am I missing here?
Without getting to much more info on the subject out of respect for his local, interpretation of the actual language. Look at the language. You will never have to complete a full time progression twice. He completed a part time progression. Other than that, grieve it and get your ruling through the process. I'm just telling you what the out come will be.

screwUPS

Without getting to much more info on the subject out of respect for his local, interpretation of the actual language. Look at the language. You will never have to complete a full time progression twice. He completed a part time progression. Other than that, grieve it and get your ruling through the process. I'm just telling you what the out come will be.

Not being required to complete it twice doesn't mean he has to complete it even once. Just !>1. That specific part time progression he completed is the one specifically referenced in the last sentence. I think i am reading it how it is written.

Tony Q

Not being required to complete it twice doesn't mean he has to complete it even once. Just !>1. That specific part time progression he completed is the one specifically referenced in the last sentence. I think i am reading it how it is written.
If thats what yo think and what he thinks then its time to file a grievance, have a local level hearing, deadlock it and take it through the panel process. I'm just giving my insight in the end game.

Ya Dad

Gimme me more characters so that I finish this se
Alright, re read the language.

Ok.

A part-time air driver who has completed the
Article 40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver
job within two (2) years shall have the same break-in period.

No where in this sentence does it say that I have to complete a full-time progression. It says that a PART TIME air driver has to complete an Article 40 progression. So then, let's then take a look at Article 40.

Article 40 Section 6:
All hourly wages for employees covered under Article 40 will be determined in accordance with this Section, Article 22 and Article 41 where specified.
(a) Part-time air drivers including exception air drivers will be paid as follows:
Start $12.50
Seniority $13.50
Seniority Date plus 12 months $14.00
Seniority Date plus 18 months $14.50
Seniority Date plus 24 months Top Rate

I completed my part-time air progression, which is covered under Article 40. Since it is covered under Article 40, it fufills the Article 41 Section 2 B requirement to have the same break-in period as a topped out FT worker with no driving responsibilities since I won a FT driving position within two years of winning a FT job with no driving responsibilities.

Therefore, based on the contract language I presented you, it is quite clear that I should be making my air rate and should top out in six months.

Ya Dad

The chief Feeder steward said I should be making my air rate. I will update this thread as soon as I hear what the BA has to say about it.

Pizza

Joe Biden is The Big Guy

If this is not addressing his situation then who is it referring to?

Ya Dad

I talked with a member of management who is dealing with grievances and he agrees with me about the pay rate. He said he was supposed to talk to the payroll supervisor on Friday but he wasn't at work so he'll be talking to him on Monday. Before I left work, I opened the door to his office and turned the light on and saw a stack of grievances under his keyboard. On top of the stack was mine so hopefully that means it's a priority.

This grievance may not have to be delt with by my BA as long as that payroll supervisor agrees with my case after being shown those articles. I'll update the thread Monday night / Tuesday morning with whatever I find out.

Tony Q

@Tony Q

What Part-timer is the language referring to?
Any part-timer goes through she sort of progression. You know this, right? once you become full-time, you have to go through this again. Its the contract. A less than 8 employee can't be counted as going through a full-time progression. It is what it is.

GameCockFan

Any part-timer goes through she sort of progression. You know this, right? once you become full-time, you have to go through this again. Its the contract. A less than 8 employee can't be counted as going through a full-time progression. It is what it is.

At first glance I agreed with this. But after reading the article more closely it does cover this exact situation. He should go to top pay in six months. Whether or not he does is another question.

A part-time air driver who has completed the Article 40 progression (He completed, check), bids a full-time inside job(he bid inside/inside, check) and then a driver job within two (2) years(bid feeders, check) shall have the same break-in period.

Seems to meet all the criteria for a six month break in period, followed by top pay. Of course the company often argues black and white language, so good luck to you OP.

Tony Q

At first glance I agreed with this. But after reading the article more closely it does cover this exact situation. He should go to top pay in six months. Whether or not he does is another question.

A part-time air driver who has completed the Article 40 progression (He completed, check), bids a full-time inside job(he bid inside/inside, check) and then a driver job within two (2) years(bid feeders, check) shall have the same break-in period.

Seems to meet all the criteria for a six month break in period, followed by top pay. Of course the company often argues black and white language, so good luck to you OP.
I'm just telling you how it will play out through the panel process. I've explained it at nauseam. Other than that I've really got nothing more to contribute.

Ya Dad

Ok. After a lot of running around talking to HR and Labor in person, I figured out the problem.

The Labor rep agrees with my interpretation of Article 41 and that I should be at my air rate for 6 months until I top out. However, In their system I was classified as Hub/Feeder instead of whatever classification my inside/inside combo job was. On paper it looks like I had a job with driving responsibilities, ergo, Art 41 Section 2b doesn't apply. I told her that I never drove in the nearly 2 years that I was combo. She said that someone may have put it in wrong in the system, but she has no way of knowing that for sure. SO, she said that if I can bring her a copy of the paper I put my name on to bid on the combo job, that she would fix my rate.

...I'm not gonna find this paper, am I.

upschuck

Ok. After a lot of running around talking to HR and Labor in person, I figured out the problem.

The Labor rep agrees with my interpretation of Article 41 and that I should be at my air rate for 6 months until I top out. However, In their system I was classified as Hub/Feeder instead of whatever classification my inside/inside combo job was. On paper it looks like I had a job with driving responsibilities, ergo, Art 41 Section 2b doesn't apply. I told her that I never drove in the nearly 2 years that I was combo. She said that someone may have put it in wrong in the system, but she has no way of knowing that for sure. SO, she said that if I can bring her a copy of the paper I put my name on to bid on the combo job, that she would fix my rate.

...I'm not gonna find this paper, am I.
I believe your local should have a copy.

Pizza

Joe Biden is The Big Guy
So if you are 3 years and 11 months into 22.3 and take a driver job you have to start all over again with another 4 year progression?

Ya Dad

So if you are 3 years and 11 months into 22.3 and take a driver job you have to start all over again with another 4 year progression?

Article 41 says you only go through FT progression once.

Ya Dad

So I talked to someone in Labor and she pulled up a screen that showed my current pay rate and it looks like it's been fixed. I'll know for sure either this Thursday or next depending on when the change takes effect.

The whole "Top rate in 6 months" argument is still hot though.

Ya Dad

Oh, and goes without saying, but they're hesitant to send me a retro check for the amount that they calculated they owe me.