Please help out new hire package handler with work issues

KalM

Hi everybody,
I am a new-hire PT package handler working the Preload shift at a moderately large (imo) center in the Midwest(we have 5-6 different colored belts with my belt containing ~12 trucks...is that large? Sorry I am new :P ).
I've been with UPS for little over a month+1/2 now and am seriously doubting my decision to work here. My intention of working here is for the extra $ and tuition assistance as I am a full time college student, but not sure if it's all worth it. There are a couple of issues that I am dealing with where I am really hoping you all could help me provide suggestions and put everything into prospective. (Sorry, this might be a long post, but I really want to give you all the details so I don't come across off).

1. They had me start at the front of the belt loading packages onto a car from day 1. I do like the work of loading packages. I've only gotten 1 misload and been complimented by my sup for my work. So no issue there. What I am really struggling with is that that's not the only thing they have me do.

On top of loading my truck(avg. 300-500 a day), they have me 2)split the belt, 3)pull EVERY SINGLE hold/high value/clerk packages, and 4)pull and send back ALL misssorts (no labels,off-colors, etc). For whatever reason, we get TONS of these. Prob. 3 out of every 10 packages end up being a combo of these and I end up having to pull them out of the belt and carry them to the right places. I do have a coworker on the other side splitting as well, but his reach is limited since there's a big machine blocking his pathway. My side has the clerk, the return belt, and is much longer so my sup ALWAYS tells me to be at the mouth of the belt doing the splitting. So I do most of the splitting. It's incredibly difficult to keep pace with all this when I am constantly stretched out between all these tasks. I sometimes find myself on the run, running out of breath, trying to load my packages, pull all the missorts, clerks items, and split the belt... at the same time. I am not Flash (super-speed). All the while I notice my coworkers behind me just sitting down and waiting for their packages to come up.

Q: What can I do to make it better? I have asked my Sup once if there was anything he could do but he said it's probably the easiest job since my load count is low compared to others' (my coworkers avg 700-900/day). Is he right? Does it really balance out? I don' think he realizes that the hundreds (literally hundreds..i've counted) of packages I pull for the clerk or re-sort(missorts/no-label) take up a considerable amount of time. If only these two tasks were taken off my shoulders, I'd have absolutely no problem w/split+load. My other coworker doing the splitting has it so easy. Is changing jobs to just a preloader an option and a good idea? Will it hurt my chances of being offered to work beyond seasonal, if I asked my Sup(might be perceived as weak;idk)?

2. Last night we worked 7 hours straight...with NO break being given. Not even a measly 5 min break. Even when i first started, none of hr or sups told me about being allowed to go for break. I am not sure if the only way is to have my coworker cover for me while i take a break since I am at the front of the belt and being away from it for even 1 min could lead to bunch of packages being unsorted.

I did research on this and my state is a RTW state which I guess means UPS can do whatever they want, but it seems incredibly inhumane to not allow even a 5 min break to your employees after having them work 7 hours non-stop. No wonder all of the package handlers at my center have low morale. They constantly criticize UPS. What can I do? Is this common every where and if so how do you all handle this?

Thank you.

Last edited:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Hi everybody,
I am a new-hire PT package handler working the Preload shift at a moderately large (imo) center in the Midwest(we have 5-6 different colored belts with my belt containing ~12 trucks...is that large? Sorry I am new :P ).
I've been with UPS for little over a month+1/2 now and am seriously doubting my decision to work here. My intention of working here is for the extra $ and tuition assistance as I am a full time college student, but not sure if it's all worth it. There are a couple of issues that I am dealing with where I am really hoping you all could help me provide suggestions and put everything into prospective. (Sorry, this might be a long post, but I really want to give you all the details so I don't come across off).

1. They had me start at the front of the belt loading packages onto a car from day 1. I do like the work of loading packages. I've only gotten 1 misload and been complimented by my sup for my work. So no issue there. What I am really struggling with is that that's not the only thing they have me do. On top of loading my truck(avg. 300-500 a day), they have me 2)split the belt, 3)pull EVERY SINGLE hold/high value/clerk packages, and 4)pull and send back ALL misssorts (no labels,off-colors, etc). For whatever reason, we get TONS of these. Prob. 3 out of every 10 packages end up being a combo of these and I end up having to pull them out of the belt and carry them to the right places. I do have a coworker on the other side splitting as well, but his reach is limited since there's a big machine blocking his pathway. My side has the clerk, the return belt, and is much longer so my sup ALWAYS tells me to be at the mouth of the belt doing the splitting. So I do most of the splitting. It's incredibly difficult to keep pace with all this when I am constantly stretched out between all these tasks. I sometimes find myself on the run, running out of breath, trying to load my packages, pull all the missorts, clerks items, and split the belt... at the same time. I am not Flash (super-speed). All the while I notice my coworkers behind me just sitting down and waiting for their packages to come up.
Q: What can I do to make it better? I have asked my Sup once if there was anything he could do but he said it's probably the easiest job since my load count is low compared to others' (my coworkers avg 700-900/day). Is he right? Does it really balance out? I don' think he realizes that the hundreds (literally hundreds..i've counted) of packages I pull for the clerk or re-sort(missorts/no-label) take up a considerable amount of time. If only these two tasks were taken off my shoulders, I'd have absolutely no problem w/split+load. My other coworker doing the splitting has it so easy. Is changing jobs to just a preloader an option and a good idea? Will it hurt my chances of being offered to work beyond seasonal, if I asked my Sup(might be perceived as weak;idk)?

2. Last night we worked 7 hours straight...with NO break being given. Not even a measly 5 min break. Even when i first started, none of hr or sups told me about being allowed to go for break. I am not sure if the only way is to have my coworker cover for me while i take a break since I am at the front of the belt and being away from it for even 1 min could lead to bunch of packages being unsorted. I did research on this and my state is a RTW state which I guess means UPS can do whatever they want, but it seems incredibly inhumane to not allow even a 5 min break to your employees after having them work 7 hours non-stop. No wonder all of the package handlers at my center have low morale. They constantly criticize UPS. What can I do? Is this common every where and if so how do you all handle this?

Thank you.

Start not doing your job so awesome. One of two things will happen.

You will get the help you need or be gone and then you won't have to worry about the rim-necked slackjaw yocal locals not doing their job.

Happy holidays to you!

KalM

Start not doing your job so awesome. One of two things will happen.

You will get the help you need or be gone and then you won't have to worry about the rim-necked slackjaw yocal locals not doing their job.

Happy holidays to you!

Is it reasonable for me to ask a sup to come and help me when i need it?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
So everyone's ok with not having breaks and being overworked like machines?

Just you. Does your union membership not entitle you to speak with a steward and file grievances or better yet man up and tell your supe you are taking a quick break to use the restroom?

You actually got some responses on what to do. Now it's up to you to own your S*t

KalM

Just you. Does your union membership not entitle you to speak with a steward and file grievances or better yet man up and tell your supe you are taking a quick break to use the restroom?

You actually got some responses on what to do. Now it's up to you to own your S*t

Sounds good. I will see what my steward can do.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

@scooby0048, it's really not like you to be so damned helpful.

Are you ok?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hi everybody,

1. They had me start at the front of the belt loading packages onto a car from day 1. I do like the work of loading packages. I've only gotten 1 misload and been complimented by my sup for my work. So no issue there. What I am really struggling with is that that's not the only thing they have me do.

On top of loading my truck(avg. 300-500 a day), they have me 2)split the belt, 3)pull EVERY SINGLE hold/high value/clerk packages, and 4)pull and send back ALL misssorts (no labels,off-colors, etc). For whatever reason, we get TONS of these. Prob. 3 out of every 10 packages end up being a combo of these and I end up having to pull them out of the belt and carry them to the right places. I do have a coworker on the other side splitting as well, but his reach is limited since there's a big machine blocking his pathway. My side has the clerk, the return belt, and is much longer so my sup ALWAYS tells me to be at the mouth of the belt doing the splitting. So I do most of the splitting. It's incredibly difficult to keep pace with all this when I am constantly stretched out between all these tasks. I sometimes find myself on the run, running out of breath, trying to load my packages, pull all the missorts, clerks items, and split the belt... at the same time. I am not Flash (super-speed). All the while I notice my coworkers behind me just sitting down and waiting for their packages to come up.

2. Last night we worked 7 hours straight...with NO break being given. Not even a measly 5 min break. Even when i first started, none of hr or sups told me about being allowed to go for break. I am not sure if the only way is to have my coworker cover for me while i take a break since I am at the front of the belt and being away from it for even 1 min could lead to bunch of packages being unsorted.

I did research on this and my state is a RTW state which I guess means UPS can do whatever they want, but it seems incredibly inhumane to not allow even a 5 min break to your employees after having them work 7 hours non-stop. No wonder all of the package handlers at my center have low morale. They constantly criticize UPS. What can I do? Is this common every where and if so how do you all handle this?

Thank you.
giphy.gif