Punishment for telematics?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by UPWes, May 16, 2019.

1. UPWes

UPWes New Member

We are currently being scolded in PCMs about our backing speeds exceeding 5mph and whoever isn't under 5mph will recieve a warning letter. In our contract it mentions no driver shall be "discharged" based soley on telematics. However we can receive warning notices after having a verbal couseling session. I personally feel it was more of an attempt to intimidate us which also is mentioned in the contract. Does the PCM count as the verbal counseling and is the warning letter for backing speed even allowed. Keep in mind I am a relatively new driver so some of this is unclear.

2. Future

Future Victory Ride

A lot of that language was changed in the “New” contract ... I am not sure how 2 interpret it either at this point .... follow the proper methods the best you can is what I can say

3. KOG72

KOG72 I’m full of it

Just throw the warning letter in the same trash can as the safe driving awards,they both me the same nowadays.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. RolloTony Brown Town

RolloTony Brown Town Active Member

Section 6. Technology and Discipline
    No driver shall be discharged based solely upon information received from GPS, telematics, or any successor system that similarly tracks or surveils a driver’s movements unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the purposes of this paragraph as any intentional act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company). A driver’s failure to accurately recall what is reflected by the technology shall not by itself be considered dishonesty. The Company must confirm by direct observation or other corroborating evidence any other violations warranting discharge. The degree of discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be changed because of the use of the above- mentioned systems .
    No driver shall be issued a warning notice based solely upon the above-mentioned systems without first having a verbal counseling session on an identical infraction (e.g. two seat belt violations). Any such discipline shall also comply with applicable Supplemental disciplinary procedures and requirements.

So yes you can be disciplined. Some still has to physically observe you if they intend to discharge you. Just say you’re trying to do what they say.

the language is essentially the same. The new language spells out that not being able to remember is not defined as dishonesty.

5. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Listen up, OoooooooKaaaaaay!

Ask your supervisor where in the 8 rules to backing it says to look at your speedometer? Then ask him if he’d rather you stare at the speedometer while in reverse or use your mirrors properly.

• Winner Winner x 24
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • List
  6. Underallowed306

Underallowed306 Active Member

Anyone backing excessively will be boiled in hot oil.

7. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

No.

It needs to be done one-on-one with a Steward present.

They can issue a warning letter for anything.

As long as you grieve it.... that will determine if it sticks.

This, has to be one of the best posts.... I've read in a long while.

-Bug-

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Brown Biscuit

Brown Biscuit Blind every day

Why would you need to back faster than 5 MPH?

9. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

That's how you run scratch ?

10. DumbTruckDriver

DumbTruckDriver Allergic to cardboard.

Backing speed (weird) is the flavor of the month where you’re at. The winds will soon change and there will be something else to scold you about. Just follow the methods and grieve when necessary.

11. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

Backing speed is sooooo 2013

12. Brown Biscuit

Brown Biscuit Blind every day

These trucks don’t have great visibility. There are many other ways than that to make scratch. Why risk harming someone or hitting something? Not worth it to me. Just my opinion I guess.

13. brostalss

brostalss Well-Known Member

That's good. Winner winner chicken dinner.

14. brostalss

brostalss Well-Known Member

I would do it once a day in the summer time with the rear door and bulk head door open to air out the back. I would get a huge drop in heat in the back.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  15. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Just go slow. If it takes you 2 min to back 30 feet, you are being safe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  16. Oak

Oak Active Member

I don't recall ever seeing a speedometer that works in reverse?

17. eats packages

eats packages Why won't the door close?

If they pull you aside just say something along the lines of the importance of backing cautiously and how it is impossible for you to observe your exact speed safely while backing and therefore cannot recall any moments where you backed above 5mph.
    Write down the discussion and staple it to your warning letter and greviance if the cowards want to pursue it further.

18. MECH-lift

MECH-lift Union Brother

neutral back!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. MrBates

MrBates Active Member

I also do the same with DFUs

• Like Like x 3