PVD'S

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
a lot of shekels? i have no idea how much but i imagine it would've enough to make small package profitable again

The small pkg division, will never make money again.

Hence, the need.... for diversification.

Why take those frustrations out on the drivers ?

Are you still pissed off about 1997 ?

-Bug-

brownIEman

Not trying to be a jerk, but not sure what the big deal is.
The company is not talking about contractors delivering packages.
It is also not talking about doing this year round.

It is talking about peak drivers. Company employees, dues paying Teamsters in most non RTW states, delivering out
of their personal vehicles instead of out of a Budget or U-haul rental van. And it is talking about doing it during the
peak periods that are currently allowed under the NMA.

I get being concerned about the foot in the door and worrying that the company may try to move to an Uber/Lyft
delivery model, but that WOULD require renegotiating. For those pissed about "scabs" as you say delivering under
such a model, yes, that is here and it looks like it is here to stay. Those "scabs" are delivering packages every day,
they just do not work for UPS and UPS is not getting paid a penny for the packages they are delivering.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
It will fail on a profibiliy standpoint. Upper management/IE will need to learn the business if you want to focus on profitability.
this is the near future reality and automation is the longer future, what you want is a pipe dream, i'm sorry

The small pkg division, will never make money again.

Hence, the need.... for diversification.

Why take those frustrations out on the drivers ?

Are you still :censored2: off about 1997 ?

-Bug-
i think the 97 strike accelerated this due to the increased (and unshackled) competition that our market share loss caused but it would have happened eventually

this is the near future reality and automation is the longer future, what you want is a pipe dream, i'm sorry

i think the 97 strike accelerated this due to the increased (and unshackled) competition that our market share loss caused but it would have happened eventually
Are you saying management will never relearn the business?

USPS and UPS could have been the only two carriers for Amazon if it weren't for mgmt.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Are you saying management will never relearn the business?

USPS and UPS could have been the only two carriers for Amazon if it weren't for the 1997 strike
fixed that part for you

being an hourly employee has you used to blaming everyone but yourselves, but the strike and the market environment that it created absolutely contributed to this

Union Power

Silent member
fixed that part for you

being an hourly employee has you used to blaming everyone but yourselves, but the strike and the market environment that it created absolutely contributed to this
The strike was in response to demands of the company that were neither honest (by your past history of screwing employees) nor we're they reasonable in comparison to the trend of the prior contracts.

In other words...
The company started the fight and the membership finished it. TKO.
"Last, best, and final offer"?
More lies.

Last edited:

Union Power

Silent member
Not trying to be a jerk, but not sure what the big deal is.
The company is not talking about contractors delivering packages.
It is also not talking about doing this year round.

It is talking about peak drivers. Company employees, dues paying Teamsters in most non RTW states, delivering out
of their personal vehicles instead of out of a Budget or U-haul rental van. And it is talking about doing it during the
peak periods that are currently allowed under the NMA.

I get being concerned about the foot in the door and worrying that the company may try to move to an Uber/Lyft
delivery model, but that WOULD require renegotiating. For those :censored2: about "scabs" as you say delivering under
such a model, yes, that is here and it looks like it is here to stay. Those "scabs" are delivering packages every day,
they just do not work for UPS and UPS is not getting paid a penny for the packages they are delivering.
We'll see what puco and the atf officers have to say about passenger vehicles transporting ormds, Alcohol, and hazmats because it'll happen.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
The strike was in response to demands of the company that were neither honest (by your past history of screwing employees) nor we're they reasonable in comparison to the trend of the prior contracts.

In other words...
More lies.
i'm sure in the short run you were right and the company was wrong

what i'm saying is in the long run you hastened the decline of the teamsters

Union Power

Silent member
i'm sure in the short run you were right and the company was wrong

what i'm saying is in the long run you hastened the decline of the teamsters
No because as we see the how company treats it's own management we know how they would treat the step children.

You'd have the same "caliber" of workers that fdx ground has now if we allowed the company to degrade our compensation and protections.

Jump into a P10, deliver a metro route, and then come back on here to tell us we're overcompensated. Some of you shirts need to go back to the truck for a year and then tell us we don't have an argument.

I realize that having an IE label makes you superior to the blue collar folks but I would settle for an hourly dispatching over a short term supe that floated to the top because they are like styrofoam. It floats without building the character to actually navigate there.

fixed that part for you

My "People and Labor" class taught me to be fair. The same management mentallity that pushed RPS into business also put a sour taste in bezos mouth. "I can't count on a company, that treats it customers and employees so poorly, to properly service my customers." Bezos 1998/99. Jeff knew that UPS service would reflect on his business.

brownIEman

Looks like we may have to bid those PVD routes if they are implemented.

The seasonals can all drive pkg cars.

Fair enough?

???
Peak routes have been implemented every peak for decades. Why are they not bid?

Also, would you want to bid a route that you would have to buy or rent a van to run? And if you bid the route and won it does that mean UPS gets to lay you off when peak is over and the route disappears until next year?
Your proposal sounds fair, but not to seniority drivers...

Last edited:

brownIEman

In other words...
More lies.

The fight was started by the Union not negotiating in good faith. The negotiations had been on going for months. Why did the union wait until 5 day prior to the contract expiration to finally present a financial proposal? Why did the union only negotiate for 4 days past the expiration, when the company had already moved off of many of it's positions in the "last,best,final" and call for the strike? Before and since the union was able to rebuke contracting, no shared heatlh care costs and pension improvements by hard nose negotiating weeks and sometimes months beyond the contract expiration. They could have in 1997 as well. Carey wanted a strike, plain and simple.

Union Power

Silent member
???
Peak routes have been implemented every peak for decades. Why are they not bid?

Also, would you want to bid a route that you would have to buy or rent a van to run? And if you bid the route and won it does that mean UPS gets to lay you off when peak is over and the route disappears until next year?
Your proposal sounds fair, but not to seniority drivers...
You evidently don't know much about the contract.
We work in seniority order.
We aren't contractors.
No one said that higher seniority drivers had to come off their bids, we have coverage drivers that float by seniority, the seasonal drivers (and routes) will disappear after Jan 15 and coverage drivers will still bid coverage of existing vacancies.

At least know what you're talking about before you post. That way, you don't appear to be management.

BTW Einstein, that post was a joke.

Last edited:

Union Power

Silent member
The fight was started by the Union not negotiating in good faith. The negotiations had been on going for months. Why did the union wait until 5 day prior to the contract expiration to finally present a financial proposal? Why did the union only negotiate for 4 days past the expiration, when the company had already moved off of many of it's positions in the "last,best,final" and call for the strike? Before and since the union was able to rebuke contracting, no shared heatlh care costs and pension improvements by hard nose negotiating weeks and sometimes months beyond the contract expiration. They could have in 1997 as well. Carey wanted a strike, plain and simple.
You're so full of :bsbullf: it's not funny.
I was on the strike line when the supes passed out their propaganda packets with the pages torn out of them showing that their stance was ever changing.

A word to the not so wise...

If you know someone is going to kick your butt on the sidewalk walk on the other side of the street.

The union membership at UPS has grown if you haven't noticed even with right to work. Union membership has suffered everywhere over recent decades. The strike at UPS could've been avoided if the company would've negotiated in good faith. The pension was shot to death when the company offered the extra $1000/mo knowing the union had no choice but to match it. It was evident the company's attitude was that of a three year old...

"If I can't have it I'll smash it".
And you did.
This shows how much you cared for the hourly employees family's futures at ups.

It's really all about lining your pockets even though most of you never could load or deliver at the quality level we do daily and that issue in 20+ yrs has never changed.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
It's really all about lining your pockets even though most of you never could load or deliver at the quality level we do daily and that issue in 20+ yrs has never changed.
so you come to work every day because you're a nice guy, not to line your pockets?
:rolleyes: okay guy

anyways the fact is the 97 strike led to a loss of market share, which led to competition faster than what would have naturally occurred, which led to cheap contractors, which will lead to the eventual job loss of teamsters

this is all pretty obvious stuff, i don't see how you can't acknowledge it

UnconTROLLed

perfection
so you come to work every day because you're a nice guy, not to line your pockets?

anyways the fact is the 97 strike led to a loss of market share, which led to competition faster than what would have naturally occurred, which led to cheap contractors, which will lead to the eventual job loss of teamsters

This is a whole 'lotta unfounded speculation

Management runs UPS. Management needs to take responsibility for their actions.

Kinda like when there's an on the job injury. They are like "what happened?" Driver "My right knee hurts, doctor say torn meniscus. I was walking up a steep shared driveway #2 of 4 89 pound boxes. It was my 270th stop, I only had 18 stops left.

So when you return to work they have to show you how it was your fault. When at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. In fact it was wear and tear, over possibly over dispatch. Nowhere in the OJS is mention of managements part.

Same thing happens in accident investigations. I've got over a dozen examples there. Where unavoidable (all methods were followed). But were deemed avoidable.