PVD's

542thruNthru

I don't believe we have any in San Diego. Would be interesting. I know in some locals they don't allow Golf Carts but we have them here during peak. I wonder how my local would handle PVD.

Gear

Parts on Order
Considering the compensation of full rate driver vs a PVD, they wont have to be quick. UPS can pay 2 PVDs to do the job of one full rate driver and still save money. Alot of you guys dont seem to concerned. If UPS started bringing in non UPS mechs with service trucks to do my job for less than half my compensation, Id be concerned. Not that they could replace you, but cut back your overtime and 9.5 penalty payouts.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Ahhh, none in my area.

Used your keywords in the title to find quite a few openings for the continental United States though...

Trucks cannot be over 10,000 pounds and must have a covered and secured bed. Vehicles cannot have low rider suspensions, oversized rims, aftermarket blacked out windows, other company’s logos or markings, and must be free of bumper stickers, political stickers, offensive markings etc.

Yet u have to be over 21 & take a DOT test...

and wear the company-provided uniform.

Last edited:

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Considering the compensation of full rate driver vs a PVD, they wont have to be quick. UPS can pay 2 PVDs to do the job of one full rate driver and still save money. Alot of you guys dont seem to concerned. If UPS started bringing in non UPS mechs with service trucks to do my job for less than half my compensation, Id be concerned. Not that they could replace you, but cut back your overtime and 9.5 penalty payouts.
Exactly. The day they bring in PVD will be the last day they hire a union package delivery driver.

Box Ox

Yep. Roll a PVD at permanent entry level driver pay and also save on health payments, pension payments, truck maintenance, DIAD boards, insurance, etc

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
So if you pay a PVD by hour and mile what's to stop them from milking it like a 1970's driver? Will they be subject to Orion compliance or over/under?

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Yep. Roll a PVD at permanent entry level driver pay and also save on health payments, pension payments, truck maintenance, DIAD boards, insurance, etc

The big one you left out here is the PVD drivers will not be union! This is why I am not understanding why The Union is not up in arms about this! Unless we have been totally sold out!!!!

I mean its not like the only union rep that has taken a stand against the company doing this has been fired or anything!

Box Ox

The big one you left out here is the PVD drivers will not be union! This is why I am not understanding why The Union is not up in arms about this! Unless we have been totally sold out!!!!

I mean its not like the only union rep that has taken a stand against the company doing this has been fired or anything!

Yep. They’ll be the answer to a strike. Pretty good contract negotiation leverage. Now is the time to try it with Trump in charge of nominating NLRB members and a Republican Congress to back them up.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I'm fully expecting to see some news stories this peak about dishonesty PVD drivers committing Uber style crimes and offences. I can't imagine that this will play out well for UPS in the news. Whatever background checks they are planning on for this new crew aren't likely to be any better than the ones they normally do on helpers, which is next to nothing.

This will have the potential to put customers at risk without them having a clue as to who is wearing the brown uniform standing on their porch.

Not to mention the obvious: copycat bogus delivery guys impersonating PVD's using their own vehicle to case neighborhoods, steal pkgs or worse.

What a crack pot idea. I know it's impossible for UPS to resist profits over common sense, but this is a completely new level of stupidity.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm fully expecting to see some news stories this peak about dishonesty PVD drivers committing Uber style crimes and offences. I can't imagine that this will play out well for UPS in the news. Whatever background checks they are planning on for this new crew aren't likely to be any better than the ones they normally do on helpers, which is next to nothing.

This will have the potential to put customers at risk without them having a clue as to who is wearing the brown uniform standing on their porch.

Not to mention the obvious: copycat bogus delivery guys impersonating PVD's using their own vehicle to case neighborhoods, steal pkgs or worse.

What a crack pot idea. I know it's impossible for UPS to resist profits over common sense, but this is a completely new level of stupidity.

Actually, from an economic point of view, this concept makes a lot of sense.