PVD's

oldupsman

Rural Remote did make sense until they decided to use it as a dispatch tool.

I'll give you a maybe in extreme rural parts of the country. It was stupid idea in the Washington, Philadelphia, New York
corridor. I had business people who got 1 day service forever on ground packages. Now I was suppose to tell them, sorry can't do it anymore.
Why? Oh, no reason, we just don't feel like it.

I remember they were going to give me a warning letter for refusing to use remote and delivering every package every day.
I just laughed. "You're going to give me a warning letter for delivering packages. That will make a great headline in the
Wall Street Journal." They decided it wasn't a good idea. Remote was gone about 3 months after that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What is rural remote and how did they use it as a dispatch tool? Is this some kind of east coast thing? Damn near our entire center is rural.

Rural remote was a concept in where deliveries for areas out in the middle of nowhere would be held until there were enough packages to justify driving out there to deliver them.

Rural remote was never intended to be used in the business corridor of Washington, Philadelphia or New York.

It became a dispatch tool when they would pull entire towns and put them under the belt. They would not allow us to go through the piles to see if we could rid of any of them "in town".

oldupsman

Rural remote was never intended to be used in the business corridor of Washington, Philadelphia or New York.

Sure it was. I was in that corridor. We had a big driver meeting with the IE people explaining the concept. They wanted
us to stop delivering packages to people who had been getting 1 day ground service forever. This was the Philly suburbs.

I told them it was a great idea for Kansas but not here. It was typical UPS. We know better than some dumb driver. We're going
to do it here. I totally ignored it.

Daf

It's interesting how anal ups is with their image. All brown, no black shirt under anymore. No black socks anymore, has to be brown with logo..... etc. but now we just want any person in their own car dressed however they feel. Make up your mind.

Daf

Sure it was. I was in that corridor. We had a big driver meeting with the IE people explaining the concept. They wanted
us to stop delivering packages to people who had been getting 1 day ground service forever. This was the Philly suburbs.

I told them it was a great idea for Kansas but not here. It was typical UPS. We know better than some dumb driver. We're going
This is just a step to try subcontract all the deliveries.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Made for a lot of early Friday nights

Deliver it all Monday - Thursday

Give all the runners a ride on Friday

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As I said, it worked out really well here until they decided to use it as a dispatch tool.