Raises for 2019

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
At least 3%.

One of our drivers immediate relative is a 1 year manager at one of the local stations. $6k bonus 1st year. One of our managers who is 35+ year employee got $13k. I don't want a bonus. I want a raise. That 3% goes right into my 401k and pays me week after week for as long as I am here. That builds retirement. I would not mind being a manager at the ramp or RT, but they will not hire any new managers into those positions in our area. Got to pay your dues on the DGO side first before you are considered for one of the cushy spots. No one in their right mind goes to DGO. What a crappy job.

I'm sorry you and Van don't enjoy money and investing for the future. Its not for everyone. Maybe you and Van can live together in a hut in the Belize jungle and share a couple hammocks just like Skipper and Gilligan. Which one are you?

Sorry you think someone at maximum pay should get even more. FWIW, I enjoy money and investing for the future. If you're topped out you should be, or be close to, having no debt at all (other than a mortgage, if that) and have a crap ton of money to invest.

floridays

Why? because many investors typically only focus on the 4th quarter, if they see a huge expenditure(raises) in a quarter that is typically slow, it makes them nervous. So they move the big "cost" to the front of our best quarter, and it looks better on paper.
bsbullf.gif
, balance sheet effect of raises are reflected over the period the expense is occurred.
A raise is not a bonus which is accounted for when it was issued, a particular quarter.

SmithBarney

View attachment 241378 , balance sheet effect of raises are reflected over the period the expense is occurred.
A raise is not a bonus which is accounted for when it was issued, a particular quarter.

I didn't address the "bonus" that topped out couriers got. I was addressing why FDX moved the pay action, the real reason is the stockholders, that is who fedex works for. It's a shell game.

As for the topped out couriers getting "only" a 3% bonus.

Yes it sucked, but at the same time topped out couriers should be very comfortable if they are managing money correctly. Topped out entitled couriers are the reason the workgroup will never be able to organize, "they got theirs, screw the other guys." FedEx keeps the ranks divided on purpose. Whenever a topped out courier complains about pay, just tell them to go pound sand.

Artee

Sorry you think someone at maximum pay should get even more.

Of course they should get more. All hourly's should be getting a raise including the ones at the top of range. Anyone "in range" that is mad that a topped out employee is getting a raise along with them, is very short sighted. A rising tide lifts all boats. They should be happy the ceiling is rising and there is continued room for growth and prosperity. If anyone thinks getting "topped out" is the magic pill that will instantly change your life, you have another thing coming. If you can't wait to get to $27 an hour and all your lifes worries will go away and you will be able to live comfortably for the next 25 years making $27/hr the whole time, you are in for a world of disappointment. There is this pesky little thing called inflation. Your cost of living is going to increase.

Many people believe that as their cost of living increases, so does their wage. Many people would like to maintain the standard of living they currently have or "gasp" even increase it. I suppose Dano believes that when you start FDX at 25, you should be able to "top out" in 5 years and then work the next 35 years at that wage and be thankful you have a job where you are topped out. Hey you are at "maximum pay". Be Happy!!

Artee

s.

Yes it sucked, but at the same time topped out couriers should be very comfortable if they are managing money correctly. Topped out entitled couriers are the reason the workgroup will never be able to organize, "they got theirs, screw the other guys." FedEx keeps the ranks divided on purpose. Whenever a topped out courier complains about pay, just tell them to go pound sand.

Are you bi-polar? One sentence you say the entitled topped out couriers should be very comfortable with their money and FDX will never organize(which I assume means "go union") because the topped out employees got theirs and they don't want anymore nor want to help anyone else get topped out.

Then you say you hear topped out couriers complaining about their pay. So which is it? The topped out couriers are happy with what they have and don't want anymore? Or they are unhappy with their pay and would like an increase?

As a topped out driver, that works with many other topped out drivers let me tell you no one is sitting around talking about how great their pay is and how we could live the rest of our lives making this same wage. Fdx has a screwed up pay system and everyone has a different path and time table on when they get to the top of range. Thats not the fault of the drivers who are topped out, but the company you work for. Its not your job to walk around and tell others how they should be comfortable because of some magic number they make per hour. Not one single person in your station has the same standard of living as another. Be more concerned about yourself and your life than trying to tell other people how to live.

floridays

I didn't address the "bonus" that topped out couriers got. I was addressing why FDX moved the pay action, the real reason is the stockholders, that is who fedex works for. It's a shell game.

As for the topped out couriers getting "only" a 3% bonus.

Understood, I wasn't addressing topped out hourly bonuses, I was addressing management bonuses, and when they appear as an expense. You were addressing the delay of raises, and they appear on the balance sheet when expensed, weekly pertaining to couriers and other hourlies.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Of course they should get more. All hourly's should be getting a raise including the ones at the top of range. Anyone "in range" that is mad that a topped out employee is getting a raise along with them, is very short sighted. A rising tide lifts all boats. They should be happy the ceiling is rising and there is continued room for growth and prosperity. If anyone thinks getting "topped out" is the magic pill that will instantly change your life, you have another thing coming. If you can't wait to get to $27 an hour and all your lifes worries will go away and you will be able to live comfortably for the next 25 years making $27/hr the whole time, you are in for a world of disappointment. There is this pesky little thing called inflation. Your cost of living is going to increase.

I'm not approaching it from the assumption that top of range is going to cure what ails ye. It's more the realization that people are wiser about their finances at that point and had been making more prudent financial decisions as time goes on. This isn't to say that there should never be a pay action for topped out couriers, but if you still need one in order to keep up, then you aren't a good steward of your resources.

Artee

I'm not approaching it from the assumption that top of range is going to cure what ails ye. It's more the realization that people are wiser about their finances at that point and had been making more prudent financial decisions as time goes on. This isn't to say that there should never be a pay action for topped out couriers, but if you still need one in order to keep up, then you aren't a good steward of your resources.

You keep bringing it back to personal finance. Thats not what the raise is about. Its about keeping up with the cost of inflation. Now wherever you are located maybe there is no need. Where i am located, I feel for some of my fellow employees who are single and renting. 1k a month will get you a small 1 bedroom apartment in a so so neighborhood. Rent is guaranteed to go up every year by at least $100/Month. Go a couple years without a raise and all of a sudden your rent has increased by $2400/year and your salary has gone nowhere. Utilities have now doubled/tripled because some utility companies like to burn down cities and towns. How about water rates? Groceries? $4/gallon gas?

None of that has anything to do with personal finance. Thats just day to day living expenses. The fixed costs. If you are going to continue this discussion please move it away from the Dave Ramsey speech. No one on here is complaining about student loan debt or high credit card and auto loan balances, so thats not why us topped out drivers would like a raise. Save it for the proper discussion.

vantexan

You keep bringing it back to personal finance. Thats not what the raise is about. Its about keeping up with the cost of inflation. Now wherever you are located maybe there is no need. Where i am located, I feel for some of my fellow employees who are single and renting. 1k a month will get you a small 1 bedroom apartment in a so so neighborhood. Rent is guaranteed to go up every year by at least $100/Month. Go a couple years without a raise and all of a sudden your rent has increased by $2400/year and your salary has gone nowhere. Utilities have now doubled/tripled because some utility companies like to burn down cities and towns. How about water rates? Groceries? $4/gallon gas?

None of that has anything to do with personal finance. Thats just day to day living expenses. The fixed costs. If you are going to continue this discussion please move it away from the Dave Ramsey speech. No one on here is complaining about student loan debt or high credit card and auto loan balances, so thats not why us topped out drivers would like a raise. Save it for the proper discussion.
If what you say is true then 8 years ago you were paying $200 a month for rent. We both know that isn't so. Not is your rent going to more than double in ten years. The market will charge what renters can bear. If they charge too much you get few if any takers. And let's be honest, right now people are just starting out with the company. They'll take 9 years to reach where you're at. So it's not like you have it that bad. Make good choices, and sacrifice a little if you have to. And don't forget, a couple of years ago people who had already put in ten years were told they'd have to work another 8 years to get where you're at. So count your blessings.

Artee

If what you say is true then 8 years ago you were paying $200 a month for rent. We both know that isn't so. Not is your rent going to more than double in ten years. The market will charge what renters can bear. If they charge too much you get few if any takers. And let's be honest, right now people are just starting out with the company. They'll take 9 years to reach where you're at. So it's not like you have it that bad. Make good choices, and sacrifice a little if you have to. And don't forget, a couple of years ago people who had already put in ten years were told they'd have to work another 8 years to get where you're at. So count your blessings.

Get real Van. You are really not that dense are you? Move somewhere other than a fly over state and see how the other half live. There are plenty of takers here with money that continue to drive the market up. I am set because I own a home so my payment is the same year after year. I could turn around and rent this place for $2800-3000/month within a week. A one bedroom apartment in my town with run you $1500/month. Want a 3/2 house to rent? Better come up with $2200/month. I can tell you one thing, the people here with money are not FDX employees. They are the ones falling further behind without even a COLA raise.

You and Dano are the only two people I have met in my entire life that have said they never want a raise. Weird. Do you two visit the other sub forums on this site and complain to the UPS employees that they should not be getting a raise every year? That they should just be happy with what they have and they should count their blessings? They would laugh your asses right off of here. You two act like a topped out FDX driver earns $400k/year. Using the number someone here threw out that $27/hr was the top out rate in their region, that is $54k/year with no OT. Might be a comfortable wage for middle America, but thats poverty where I am at.

vantexan

Get real Van. You are really not that dense are you? Move somewhere other than a fly over state and see how the other half live. There are plenty of takers here with money that continue to drive the market up. I am set because I own a home so my payment is the same year after year. I could turn around and rent this place for $2800-3000/month within a week. A one bedroom apartment in my town with run you $1500/month. Want a 3/2 house to rent? Better come up with $2200/month. I can tell you one thing, the people here with money are not FDX employees. They are the ones falling further behind without even a COLA raise.

You and Dano are the only two people I have met in my entire life that have said they never want a raise. Weird. Do you two visit the other sub forums on this site and complain to the UPS employees that they should not be getting a raise every year? That they should just be happy with what they have and they should count their blessings? They would laugh your asses right off of here. You two act like a topped out FDX driver earns $400k/year. Using the number someone here threw out that $27/hr was the top out rate in their region, that is $54k/year with no OT. Might be a comfortable wage for middle America, but thats poverty where I am at.
Does your spouse not work? Certainly with a paid off house and both of you working you're doing fine? Of course I like raises, who doesn't? But FedEx, which is a pretty stingy company, doesn't exist to give every extra penny to employees. It's unrealistic to think so. I've lived in the Northeast and the Northwest too. It's expensive. But there isn't enough money to give every employee what they want. If you can get that kind of rent for your home you should transfer to some place like Texas and rent your home out. You'll have the kind of life you want. A real estate management firm can handle things for you. In other words look at the options you have and work within those options rather than expect someone else to make it happen for you. Because they're trying to make things happen for them and ultimately only care how you can help them in their goals. And if I had that kind of rent money coming in along with my pension I could live extremely comfortably overseas and still save money.

Serf

other than a fly over state and see how the other half live.
I see the point you are making. And in a perfect world one could make coastal money with Midwest cost of living. But for the most part this isn't so. But man, if I was earning 27$ an hr in Lets say Central Indiana, or Northwest Kansas....Quite well I'd say.

Serf

On a side note to do with earnings. I wonder what keeps people living in the locations they are in currently USA wise. More to do with Proximity to family, Salary, or Etc?

vantexan

On a side note to do with earnings. I wonder what keeps people living in the locations they are in currently USA wise. More to do with Proximity to family, Salary, or Etc?
If I lived in a high tax state, had the opportunity to live elsewhere, and could rent out my paid for home for extra income, would be a matter of minutes to make up my mind to move. People do it all the time.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Does your spouse not work? Certainly with a paid off house and both of you working you're doing fine? Of course I like raises, who doesn't? But FedEx, which is a pretty stingy company, doesn't exist to give every extra penny to employees. It's unrealistic to think so. I've lived in the Northeast and the Northwest too. It's expensive. But there isn't enough money to give every employee what they want. If you can get that kind of rent for your home you should transfer to some place like Texas and rent your home out. You'll have the kind of life you want. A real estate management firm can handle things for you. In other words look at the options you have and work within those options rather than expect someone else to make it happen for you. Because they're trying to make things happen for them and ultimately only care how you can help them in their goals. And if I had that kind of rent money coming in along with my pension I could live extremely comfortably overseas and still save money.
If @Artee is a resident of a Pacific coast state, then that explains his challenge of coping financially.

But please don't move to Texas. The real estate market here is white hot, making it difficult for the natives here to upgrade, too. Californians in particular sell their homes and move here with cash in hand, cash purchase an upgrade, and have a small fortune left over.

fedex_rtd

Hey troll boy...on Feb 27th you posted "Interesting take, considering I don't even work for the company." Why are you on this board? You have stated that you do not work for this company.

Artee

When I retire the house will be sold and we will probably move to another state and pay cash for a house and put a bunch of money in the bank. The housing market here is about to explode. 10-12 years until retirement, so not going to uproot everything to move, especially to a place like Texas or anywhere in the midwest. It sucks for people in other states because lots of people are getting out of here and starting to drive up the price of homes in other states. We would like to move to Idaho, but many many people have that same idea. Look what its doing to the housing prices there. It sucks for the residents of those states because a $400k house is a bargain to people coming from our state.

For me and some others at my location, the raise is not about getting extra money to pay the day to day bills. A 2-3% raise would not even make it home. I increase the amount going into my 401k by that same percentage. Its all about retirement for me. There are others at my location that would use the money for numerous other things. Its not my job to sit around and judge how someone spends their income. All I can control is what I do with mine. The bottom line is no matter how you spend your money or how much of it you have,

vantexan

If @Artee is a resident of a Pacific coast state, then that explains his challenge of coping financially.

But please don't move to Texas. The real estate market here is white hot, making it difficult for the natives here to upgrade, too. Californians in particular sell their homes and move here with cash in hand, cash purchase an upgrade, and have a small fortune left over.
If he is then he's making at least $30hr. When people use terms like flyover country you can bet they base their opinions of certain areas of the country on stereotypes. They only hurt themselves doing so.