Raises for hourly employees defered till October.

morgan

You guys? Can you cite specific examples? I know you don't like what they're doing at Ground, I don't like it either. But are you saying Ground exists in a vacuum where they do whatever they like, break laws, whatever, and suffer no repercussions? No one notices? No one sues, even with money to be had for the taking? All their drivers are just taking it, no one is suing their contractor and FedEx? Seriously?
i hear what your saying, we all know ground uses the law to find ways to basically exploit employees. what needs to happen is more ground drivers need to get together and prove to the courts that they are indeed employees and not contractors, which they absolutely are! fedex as a company is using ground as a model to see how far they can push it since the end game for them is to include all divisions in this contactor setup. you think the would invest billions in computer technology that could train a monkey to deliver packages if that wasn't the case..

MAKAVELI

Bs. You guys have been breaking labor laws since day one. Try to justify all you want to spin the truth all you want but you know what everybody knows the truth.

You guys? Can you cite specific examples? I know you don't like what they're doing at Ground, I don't like it either. But are you saying Ground exists in a vacuum where they do whatever they like, break laws, whatever, and suffer no repercussions? No one notices? No one sues, even with money to be had for the taking? All their drivers are just taking it, no one is suing their contractor and FedEx? Seriously?

Let's start off by not providing a meal break. It's a dot requirement if working more than 6 hours. That's why they lock us out of the power pad. Ground does not provide or require a break. They are covered under the same dot rules.

Last edited:

SmithBarney

Starting pay gets the same across the board increase as the rest of the rates(every year at least when we get raises),
ie last year there was a %3 across the board increase, with those in the middle getting a bit more(%5 or 6)
For example a guy hired 5 yrs ago at ~13.50 might now be making ~15.00 while a new hire today starts at 14.40(I think someone mentioned that number) 5 yrs seniority over a new hire it makes you feel great to know you are worth .50 cents more!

I doubt anyone hired today is making more than a coworker in the same job classification at the same location. If so I could see a potential lawsuit.

morgan

stopsperhour, i think they have to be considered employees for that to apply. i believe that since they are sub's its the drivers responsablity to take break and not ground. not trying to defend them at all but i think thats how they would get around that..

SmithBarney

stopsperhour, i think they have to be considered employees for that to apply. i believe that since they are sub's its the drivers responsablity to take break and not ground. not trying to defend them at all but i think thats how they would get around that..

Morgan, don't worry I'm pretty sure they all take their breaks, I see them on the side of the road all the time reading maps, and trying to find their way.

MAKAVELI

They have been found to be employees of the contractors. That is why they are required to have workers comp on every driver , and pay payroll taxes for every driver. This is part of the scam. They don't provide or require meal breaks so the drivers can del more and not go over 11 hours on road. Can you imagine how many more drivers they would have to hire if they actually followed dot rules? This would cut into that profit considerably.

overflowed

Starting pay gets the same across the board increase as the rest of the rates(every year at least when we get raises),
ie last year there was a %3 across the board increase, with those in the middle getting a bit more(%5 or 6)
For example a guy hired 5 yrs ago at ~13.50 might now be making ~15.00 while a new hire today starts at 14.40(I think someone mentioned that number) 5 yrs seniority over a new hire it makes you feel great to know you are worth .50 cents more!

I doubt anyone hired today is making more than a coworker in the same job classification at the same location. If so I could see a potential lawsuit.

This is not true Fredly. I know of several instances of people at my station that make less than new hires. Not by much.

bbsam

Staff member
If I wasn't taking so much of your money, I'd be offended. As it is, enjoy your soon to be part time job.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If I wasn't taking so much of your money, I'd be offended. As it is, enjoy your soon to be part time job.

I wouldn't get TOO comfortable if I were you.

Fred's undoubtedly looking for a way to screw you contactors too. So good luck with that. :funny:

vantexan

Let's start off by not providing a meal break. It's a dot requirement if working more than 6 hours. That's why they lock us out of the power pad. Ground does not provide or require a break. They are covered under the same dot rules.

If they aren't getting paid by the hour then they choose to take or not take a break. And it's possible that small business rules apply but I don't know. Small businesses with X amount of employees are often exempt from rules larger corporations have to follow. But my statement stands, if Ground drivers are being forced to work without breaks and it's illegal they could sue over it. Where are the lawsuits?

MAKAVELI

If they aren't getting paid by the hour then they choose to take or not take a break. And it's possible that small business rules apply but I don't know. Small businesses with X amount of employees are often exempt from rules larger corporations have to follow. But my statement stands, if Ground drivers are being forced to work without breaks and it's illegal they could sue over it. Where are the lawsuits?
My guess is most just don't know the labor laws. The contractors are not above the law they for the moment are just lucky. Why do they have to provide workers comp, and payroll taxes? Because that is what is focused on by the state and federal. For meal breaks, a complaint has to be maid for a investigation. I am friends with a ground driver and he didn't have a clue that he has rights that are not acknowledged by the contractors. For instance during peak he worked many 12 hour days with no break for the same salary and a small bonus. No overtime, no breaks. Would you work like that?

STFXG

We are required to follow employment laws with respect to breaks. Which means we do not have to offer them:
Edit: http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/breaks.htm

But since most drivers are salaried the majority of contractors don't care if they take breaks (5, 20, 90 minutes). Doesn't really matter as long as they get everything delivered.

We also must follow the new dot policies that start in July where a driver MUST take a 30 minute break within 8 hours of on duty time:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/topics/hos/qanda.aspx

Last edited:

STFXG

My guess is most just don't know the labor laws. The contractors are not above the law they for the moment are just lucky. Why do they have to provide workers comp, and payroll taxes? Because that is what is focused on by the state and federal. For meal breaks, a complaint has to be maid for a investigation. I am friends with a ground driver and he didn't have a clue that he has rights that are not acknowledged by the contractors. For instance during peak he worked many 12 hour days with no break for the same salary and a small bonus. No overtime, no breaks. Would you work like that?

Correcting you is getting old. You should stop putting out misinformation.

DontThrowPackages

i hear what your saying, we all know ground uses the law to find ways to basically exploit employees. what needs to happen is more ground drivers need to get together and prove to the courts that they are indeed employees and not contractors, which they absolutely are! fedex as a company is using ground as a model to see how far they can push it since the end game for them is to include all divisions in this contactor setup. you think the would invest billions in computer technology that could train a monkey to deliver packages if that wasn't the case..
So true. Someone wrote, when I posted how drivers use to grab 7 or 8 letters and ride with them in the cab, drivers who put freight in the cab don't remember what's in their truck. With the new software, who needs to remember anything? Every stop is there, even the piece count. But, as far as legal action, I think it will take a law firm looking to make money by reaching out to GD drivers and getting them to join a class action. I'm sure there's many GD drivers documenting conditions and policies that could be extremely useful. Will probably happen in the next 5-10 years. But then again, in 10 years, this country could have its own version of Foxconn.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So true. Someone wrote, when I posted how drivers use to grab 7 or 8 letters and ride with them in the cab, drivers who put freight in the cab don't remember what's in their truck. With the new software, who needs to remember anything? Every stop is there, even the piece count. But, as far as legal action, I think it will take a law firm looking to make money by reaching out to GD drivers and getting them to join a class action. I'm sure there's many GD drivers documenting conditions and policies that could be extremely useful. Will probably happen in the next 5-10 years. But then again, in 10 years, this country could have its own version of Foxconn.

FedEx regularly ignores the law. Basically, they do it to save money, so the incentive is there to do it..a lot.

MAKAVELI

We are required to follow employment laws with respect to breaks. Which means we do not have to offer them:

But since most drivers are salaried the majority of contractors don't care if they take breaks (5, 20, 90 minutes). Doesn't really matter as long as they get everything delivered.

We also must follow the new dot policies that start in July where a driver MUST take a 30 minute break within 8 hours of on duty time:

You are the one spreading misinformation. Again those rules are for cmv gvwr of 10001 lbs or greater. A sprinter is less than 10000. If one of your drivers that drives a vehicle less than 10000 lbs wanted to put a complaint in with the department of labor, you would be up sh it creek.

STFXG

I posted the same link twice. Here's the one about breaks:

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/breaks.htm

You're welcome for doing your research for you once again.

Edit: fixed the original post about breaks.