Recently turned 60

badpal

Nobody is perfect. That's why I beat the newbies into starting the 401k plan
Good advice, I thought about when I was a young man of 50. but sadly went with the boat and a newer wife. Both of them gone now along with 75% of my knees. A fellow thinks he can just keep going forever, but once you start to go downhill it picks up steam in a hurry. And when customers and coworkers start goofing on you even in fun after watching you pull yourself into a pkg car, it makes a guy think. So keep beating it into those newbies if you can just help one out its worth it.

Good advice, I thought about when I was a young man of 50. but sadly went with the boat and a newer wife. Both of them gone now along with 75% of my knees. A fellow thinks he can just keep going forever, but once you start to go downhill it picks up steam in a hurry. And when customers and coworkers start goofing on you even in fun after watching you pull yourself into a pkg car, it makes a guy think. So keep beating it into those newbies if you can just help one out its worth it.
I'm just returning the favor that some if the old timers gave me when I was a rookie

Re-Raise

When were you in management? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know UPS stock wasn't offered to anyone unless they were in management back then.
They allowed us to buy it at the same time they were implementing “self-directed” work groups at our center. A couple of years before we went public. It was in blocks of UPS stock and OPL. I was one of the only hourlies at my center that bought any.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
They allowed us to buy it at the same time they were implementing “self-directed” work groups at our center. A couple of years before we went public. It was in blocks of UPS stock and OPL. I was one of the only hourlies at my center that bought any.
That was all part of the union busting plan to make us feel like "partners" culminating in a contract offer in 97 based on profit sharing and not raises.

Brad. H

Ah the thrift plan. Joined it as a PT loader around 92. Talked to some guys who'd been in it since the early 80's claimed it made around 20% returns almost every year. It was a good plan but I think some rules changed and plans that incestuous became problematic from an IRS/regulatory standpoint. I was told way back the thrift plan owned most of the UPS buildings and UPS leased them back from the plan.
Let's not even get started on OPL...
As an old-timer. I will give you the scoop and I hope it helps. It was called the ups thrift plan in which you could have up to $6 withdrawn from your paycheck on an after-tax basis and ups would match whatever amount you chose to withdrawal. Rember back then the 401K and Retirement funds had not been created. So when the retirement accounts became available, it made the thrift plan obsolete and Casey family members who still owned a large amount of stock were putting a lot of pressure to have the company go public because they were only allowed to sell so many shares a year. So they came up with this great plan "really" to give the thrift plan members half cash half stock. the only negative was that we all could not sell our stock until 1 year after the public offering. the great deal was that before the IPO they split the shares in half so now you had double. They set you up with a BNY Mellon account to manage the stock offering and hold your stock for a year as they were class A voting stock. Most of us then put the stock and cash in the new Western Conference of Teamsters UPS 401k. As far as what they invested in who will ever know. There were some good years that hit double-digit returns and years that hit single digits as well.
Those who had invested in the plan in the early 70's and retired after the IPO made a killing. I saw some of their accounts between $500,000 and a $1,000,000. I could go into more detail of how they sold us the idea and how they used it against us.

Raw

Raw Member
Just go 10 more years then collect the extra social security amount at age 70! You never know what may happen in the next 10 years. You can live comfortably in the great country of Thailand on 1K a month.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I turned 60 in December and on March 7th I will celebrate 39 years with this great company. Thanks to my recent divorce, I am looking forward to another 39 years of package fun. My question is - Should I go into feeders and ride it out or should I skip all the formalities and shoot myself now?
is this a trick question

Indecisi0n

I turned 60 in December and on March 7th I will celebrate 39 years with this great company. Thanks to my recent divorce, I am looking forward to another 39 years of package fun. My question is - Should I go into feeders and ride it out or should I skip all the formalities and shoot myself now?
Should have just kept the old bag and just got a side piece. Would have been much cheaper.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Stay in package and walk at an even slower pace than normal