Repercussions for crossing a picket line?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Shove the crux sideways
A830CA13-197F-41C2-B3DA-502E10360775.gif

HavenoEDD

5 people crossed the line in 97 in our center. It was crazy how angry it was in NYC. When we got word scabs had crossed their cars had issues, some were followed home and things happened…others made their days on road not so great. Everyone of them either quit because of harassment or they were fired knowing the union wouldn’t do :censored2: for them when the company needed to reduce numbers.
The young drivers today have no understanding of that because they haven’t seen it before, I don’t blame them but it’s a big gamble expecting the kids of today to understand how important this whole thing is going to be. They don’t know what the union does for them until they need them.
I believe some locals have done a poor job educating newer drivers on the games played and what to expect. Whilst 804 is great for this others like 177 are terrible with no social media or anything for the membership to grasp and learn.

Dusty01

We will not go on strike. We will more than likely play the 11th hour game, but we won't strike. If the union is soft, we will work without a contract like last time. If the union is firm, we will settle at the last hour, minute and second. Big Brown is a publicly traded company. A strike will crush shareholder value and they can't afford to let that happen. Take that to the bank!

We will not go on strike. We will more than likely play the 11th hour game, but we won't strike. If the union is soft, we will work without a contract like last time. If the union is firm, we will settle at the last hour, minute and second. Big Brown is a publicly traded company. A strike will crush shareholder value and they can't afford to let that happen. Take that to the bank!
Did you not hear Sean O'Brien's message?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Tough Guy Sean said no work after the contract expires, we walk day one. He would look like a fool if we worked via retro agreement mode.

Over70irregs

Could be but let me tell you I heard that talk before. Tighten the $ up just in case.

kforte36

Are there any monetary or better yet legal consequences for crossing a picket line in the event that we actually do go on strike? I know the old school penalties for crossing a line but I’m curious as to what would happen in 2023 if we have a large percentage of the membership not honor a strike?.. I’m worried that a lot of our new hires and younger employees ( not myself btw) would think that if they work during a strike it could “ move them up” the ranks when in reality we all know the less seniority an employee has the better chance of being laid off the will happen with an obvious drop in volume… anybody have any actual consequences for scabbing?
Just save $500-$1000 a month between now and August 1st and you won't need to cross.

Changingtimes99

Not something you want to do. You will be Targeted by your coworkers while you are working as a scab. Then, when the strike is over and the Company needs to trim the payrolls, your hero status with the company will dissipate and they will fire you, knowing the union will not fight for you.
This post should be memorialized. That's exactly what would happen. The company will quickly forget you helped them in their time of need and toss you to the curb. I saw it happen during the last to strike. Management can have their way with you and the union will look the other way . Or your union will actually team up with management against you . Sad but true

beentheredonethat

The company would starve just as fast.

If you think the shareholders are willing to lose billions of dollars just to try to get rid of the union, I think you've got another thing coming.

We have a better strike fund, and are better prepared than they were in 97.
I know because I'm in management you won't believe what I say. However, if you have a financial advisor ask them this question. What would the long term prospect of UPS stock be, if there was a teamster strike, and UPS broke the union?

I'm sure they will say long term the investors will rally and increase the stock price. Most of the time, the stock price isn't about the present, it's about the future.

Trucker Clock

What would the long term prospect of UPS stock be, if there was a teamster strike, and UPS broke the union?

Stick to "cleaning" under your boss's desk.

Investors are not willing to give up billions now, for the slight possibility of a stock rally sometime in the distant future if the Union was to break.

ORION still does not work. Nobody wants to work, especially physical labor. Truck driver shortage.

Carol will not try and break the Union now. Too much to lose. The Union is not asking for anything outrageous. Anything that UPS cannot afford and still be a $100B Company, making $5B per year.

Now, next contract, or the one after that? Who knows.