Repercussions for crossing a picket line?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
UPS is not ready to burn down a $166B company just to get rid of the Union. At least, not at this time.

They are making record profits and the Union is not asking for anything outrageous. I'm not saying that there will never be a time when UPS tries, but it ain't today.
Burn down or separate parts?

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I've been seeing and hearing signs of selling off some parts of the ground business for years. We've worked with AMZN, TLS and ATSG in the Air Group regarding commonalities and operating similarities. Not for the hell of it, or maybe.

Trucker Clock

I heard rumors that some, who have no idea what they were talking about, that UPS wanted to separate air and ground. That's all they were was rumors.

Hell, FedEx is trying to combine air and ground just to compete and avoid bankruptcy.

Again, will UPS ever let us strike, lock us out and try to replace us? I will never say never, but not in our lifetime.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I heard rumors that some, who have no idea what they were talking about, that UPS wanted to separate air and ground. That's all they were was rumors.

Hell, FedEx is trying to combine air and ground just to compete and avoid bankruptcy.

Again, will UPS ever let us strike, lock us out and try to replace us? I will never say never, but not in our lifetime.
Huh?
I'm here at UPS, not FDX, but in a position where I'm involved with a lot of integration of Flight Ops, Systems, Collaborating (like Code Sharing for Pax ops). Imagine one Mega Air operation providing lift for multiple ground companies. Plus, when Pilots get the huge pay increases (AAL/DAL Captain is over $590K/yr), everyone thinks they deserve more). I've never heard what I bolded.

Trucker Clock

Huh?
I'm here at UPS, not FDX, but in a position where I'm involved with a lot of integration of Flight Ops, Systems, Collaborating (like Code Sharing for Pax ops). Imagine one Mega Air operation providing lift for multiple ground companies. Plus, when Pilots get the huge pay increases (AAL/DAL Captain is over $590K/yr), everyone thinks they deserve more). I've never heard what I bolded.

What in the hell are you babbling about?

Over70irregs

UPS is not ready to burn down a $166B company just to get rid of the Union. At least, not at this time.

They are making record profits and the Union is not asking for anything outrageous. I'm not saying that there will never be a time when UPS tries, but it ain't today.

Trucker Clock

Spending money to try and avoid unionization and locking out and trying to replace a striking Union workforce are two different animals altogether.

And, if a strike were to happen, UPS will lose that $14 million, that Amazon spent the whole year, in the first hour of the strike.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
AF05E070-9FA9-4B7C-A357-FA00A9B6D730.gif

Big Babooba

True, although doesn’t usually happen, I know of only three people who crossed in 97, the workplace was really unpleasant for them. They did not last long after the strike.
We had one cross. She was hoping to become a supervisor. She learned upon our return to work that management had very little respect for her. She was gone in a month.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Being able to stand up to pressure from co-workers takes quite a bit of spine, actually. Becoming part of a de facto lynch mob, insulting and threatening an individual or smaller group than yourselves...now that's spineless.

Did you not know it was a union shop when you were hired ?

brett636

I’ve never experienced a strike as I wasn’t hired till 2000, but it’s a pretty safe bet that the short term financial pain of honoring the strike is far cheaper than the long term consequences of crossing a picket line. Should a strike occur I won’t be on that picket line, but rest assured I will never cross it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I’ve never experienced a strike as I wasn’t hired till 2000, but it’s a pretty safe bet that the short term financial pain of honoring the strike is far cheaper than the long term consequences of crossing a picket line. Should a strike occur I won’t be on that picket line, but rest assured I will never cross it.
Unless you are management get your rearend on that line.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Why aren’t you going to walk the line are you special.
You realize if you don’t work the picket line you don’t get strike pay which is 5 times your monthly dues
Or are you a scab that doesent pay dues