Repercussions for crossing a picket line?

Thebrownblob

If I go to picket at a small facility, will that count as time on the line, or do you have to picket at your own bldg?
That’s a good question, I know we have some members who live closer to other facilities. Probably a good question to ask your local leader ship.
I know we are going to have a meeting at my local soon about organization an event that there is a strike.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That’s a good question, I know we have some members who live closer to other facilities. Probably a good question to ask your local leader ship.
I know we are going to have a meeting at my local soon about organization an event that there is a strike.
As long as it is within the same local they should be fine. Make sure to sign whatever kind of list they may have on the line.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My local finally sent me my shirt. :censored2:ers must have assumed I lost weight in retirement. Will have to stretch it out. Bring on the strike.
20230502_180457.jpg

20230502_180513.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My local finally sent me my shirt. :censored2:ers must have assumed I lost weight in retirement. Will have to stretch it out. Bring on the strike.
View attachment 427610
View attachment 427611
I read today where Wisconsin is trying to pass a law to allow 14-17 year olds to serve alcohol in restaurants:

@brett636 I applaud your resolve and decision to ignore the Joe Unions on this forum and, I assume, at your center/hub, by choosing to use your time more productively. The "success"---there are no "winners" in a strike---of a possible (not gonna happen) work stoppage is not going to be based on how many people are standing by the side of the road by their respective work locations but rather by the willingness of the Company and Union to work together to reach an agreement which takes care of both sides. Your co-workers may give you some grief over not having stood alongside them, especially if you make the ill-fated decision to accept your "strike pay", but that grief will fade after a week or so of having returned to work; however, if you were to make the shortsighted decision to cross an active picket line, that grief will turn in to full blown anger and resentment that will linger until you retire. Based on your previous posts, I have no doubt that you possess the financial resources to not even consider crossing. You did mention taking your CDL to make a quick buck elsewhere----do yourself a favor----don't do that. Take your vacation week the first week of August and enjoy a few extra days (unpaid) off if the contract has still not been completed by then. I am quite confident that there will not be a strike as I see an agreement in principle in place by the end of June with voting to take place in mid-July. Sadly, as has always been the case, fewer than 1/3 of eligible hourlies will be bothered to return their ballots.

Back in '97 we were still at our old facility which was at the end of a long driveway off of a busy 4 lane road (Rt. 3) in Plattsburgh NY. The boys set up shop out by the road. I pulled a shift on the first day and, based on what I observed, knew that my time would be wasted there, so I got a short term construction job. No, I did not accept either of the two $55 checks from the union as I had not "worked the line". The first day was like being on vacation----we grilled, drank and enjoyed the support of the vast majority of those who drove by; however, as the strike dragged on, the party atmosphere faded and, after a local newspaper printed an article in which they revealed our hourly wages down to the penny, public support also faded. No one crossed but even if they had tried to their efforts would have been thwarted as the Company locked us out. We did have a couple of more vocal hourlies who used the strike as their opportunity to tell the Company what they really thought----both were gone within a couple of months of our return to work. We had one hourly who had a little too much to drink who would verbally accost any non-supporters who expressed their displeasure by telling us to "get out 'butts' back to work"---he even ran out in to traffic and tried to confront one physically. (Jim B.) He no longer works there. The on-cars and center manager would stop by the line to make sure folks were behaving themselves and to give us updates, which were few. I think there may have been a time when they bought the boys pizza. Ours was a more friendly union/company center and when it did come time to go back to work it was (almost) business as usual. The new facility is on a much quieter two lane road and, as such, a picket line there would have very little impact. They may have to go down to the corner to set up shop.

@brett636 You are an adult who is more than capable of making your own decision based on your own personal financial situation. Don't worry about "honoring those who came before us" or "reaping the benefits without having put in your time on the line". As I stated above, the picket lines, other than garnering a few minutes of TV time on the local news, will do nothing to impact negotiations. Good luck to you in whatever you decide. David.
Basically, you were broke in '97 just like @brett636 is broke today, so you get it.

What a couple of bitches.

Nscalzitti

Wally, once again, you fail to realize no one is going to take these jobs in large enough numbers it does not bleed the company, both sides will come together and make an agreement that is reasonable.
Exactly. There is already a nationwide worker shortage. Where is UPS going to find 340,000 new employees willing to work labor for $20/hour? The entire nation has become lazy, and have a get rich mentality with OnlyFans and cryptocurrency. UPS has tremendous pressure from investors.

kforte36

Ups can't replace us. It's pointless to cross. Crossing would only be beneficial if they could replace every worker with a non union replacement. They can't. They can't replace hub employees. They can't replace drivers. They can't replace Fedder drivers. They can't replace airport workers with sida badges. They can't replace mechanics.

Why gamble and go through all this. Lose customers. Tank the stock. When all they have to do is give everyone a few dollar raise.
My center has to rely on rpcds volunteering to come in on Saturdays just to cover the routes. Granted.... They are pumping work out early to reduce routes on Monday. But still.... This past Saturday two of my supervisors were even working. It is logistically impossible to hire hundreds of thousands of people at once. The union only has to give the company a 72 hour notice if we decide to strike.

Over70irregs

My center has to rely on rpcds volunteering to come in on Saturdays just to cover the routes. Granted.... They are pumping work out early to reduce routes on Monday. But still.... This past Saturday two of my supervisors were even working. It is logistically impossible to hire hundreds of thousands of people at once. The union only has to give the company a 72 hour notice if we decide to strike.
Union have $ for strike fund with bank shakiness? Anyone checking on this?