Repercussions for crossing a picket line?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I walked the picket line in '97. The day before they settled, the union came around and offered us work if we wanted. Several of us went down to the Airborne Express terminal. They were completely swamped with packages. It looked like peak X2. I took a uhaul full of packages and delivered all of them. It took me like 12 hours. The airborne terminal manager offered me a job on the spot. I told him I already had one. lol.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Doesn't have anything to do with whether you strike or not or honor the picket line or not.
Need that pay. The company could starve the union out very quickly.

We all knew this day was coming but I have a feeling few are prepared from our side.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

We all knew this day was coming but I have a feeling few are prepared from our side.
The company would starve just as fast.

If you think the shareholders are willing to lose billions of dollars just to try to get rid of the union, I think you've got another thing coming.

We have a better strike fund, and are better prepared than they were in 97.

Wally

The company would starve just as fast.

If you think the shareholders are willing to lose billions of dollars just to try to get rid of the union, I think you've got another thing coming.

We have a better strike fund, and are better prepared than they were in 97.
Would they starve if long term the potential for less union involvement was theirs?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Would they starve if long term the potential for less union involvement was theirs?
If the company and shareholders were playing that long of a game, we wouldn’t have let Amazon sneak up on us the way they have.

They’re terrified of having one bad quarter. I just don’t see them being willing to take that much of a hit to restructure.

Thebrownblob

Wally, once again, you fail to realize no one is going to take these jobs in large enough numbers it does not bleed the company, both sides will come together and make an agreement that is reasonable.

Thebrownblob

Well, the way you talk the union involvement doesn’t do anything anyway, so why would the company care? After all UPS is very profitable with union involvement.

Wally

For sure, how many heed that advice?
thats why you put money away in the year leading up to a strike.
I wrote this in 2013...
l always thought the union should offer a strike fund savings plan. Five bucks a week into an account with your name on it. This would be a private account like a simple savings plan. Sell it as "strike fund" so it is not touched.

Five bucks a week since 1997 would now be worth $5300 at 4%.