Residential Driveway

I need some perspective from a professional. I’m ready-got my fireproof britches on.

I’m at the end of an L-shaped street with no outlet, just past a wide turnaround area. For the last 6 months, UPS occasionally backs the truck into my driveway to turn around (no big deal). The driveway is just wide enough for 2 cars, and about 40’ long. The last 2 weeks, it’s occurred every day regardless of if there’s a delivery to my house.

Am I being unreasonable asking the driver not to back up the truck onto my driveway, unless they have a large or heavy delivery, or the weather is bad?

I understand that drivers aren’t supposed to back up, but if they are trying to avoid backing up in the street, why are they backing up into my driveway? And they have to turn left once they pull out of the drive, can’t go right.

Ok, light me up! Am I in the wrong?

Brown Wing

Sandbagger
Just be glad its not an amazon driver busting a full U turn on your lawn. You gotta do what you gotta do out there, and he sees a nice wide driveway to take advantage of. Much safer than backing down the whole street.

Let em keep doing it and if it cracks your driveway one day you get a new one from UPS.

over9five

Staff member
He picks your driveway to turn around in because it is the SAFEST place to do it.
Tell him not to if you want to, but that means he has to do things a little (or a lot) less safe. And you say he's down there every day...

I hear y’all, and thank you for responding. I guess I’m just confused why he wants to squeeze a big truck backwards into my little driveway, when there’s a whole street to back up in? It just seems more intimidating/dangerous to back up into a drive, lol!

The truck delivers on my end of the street every day since covid went nuts, but not to my house every day. So my drive has become a daily turnaround spot.

48201124-1A72-4D0B-8CC4-724D4D75A18E.jpeg

514E787E-BA86-40AF-B87C-5B4E4EADC2A3.jpeg

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
I need some perspective from a professional. I’m ready-got my fireproof britches on.

I’m at the end of an L-shaped street with no outlet, just past a wide turnaround area. For the last 6 months, UPS occasionally backs the truck into my driveway to turn around (no big deal). The driveway is just wide enough for 2 cars, and about 40’ long. The last 2 weeks, it’s occurred every day regardless of if there’s a delivery to my house.

Am I being unreasonable asking the driver not to back up the truck onto my driveway, unless they have a large or heavy delivery, or the weather is bad?

I understand that drivers aren’t supposed to back up, but if they are trying to avoid backing up in the street, why are they backing up into my driveway? And they have to turn left once they pull out of the drive, can’t go right.

Ok, light me up! Am I in the wrong?
Are you home
Good god do people have endless time for nonsense.
was just thinking this!!! This dude home all day with nothing to do ?! Christ !

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
Oh MaH GaWd ThE UpS MaN iS sUcH a JeRk uSiNg MaH bIg DrIvEwAy FoR fUn I mEaN aMiWrIgHt Or WhAt

did they damage anything? Until then, let them work safely.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
UPS occasionally backs the truck into my driveway to turn around (no big deal).

No big deal then you wonder if you should ask the driver not to. It obviously bothers you or else you wouldn't have wasted 5 minutes of your life signing up to this site to assuage your big dilemma. Its safer to back 10ft into a drive than 40ft to a wider turn around.

You should worry about mowing your lawn, its disgusting. @Wally

clean hairy

Is op named Karen, or married to Karen?
What else goes on their life?
Getting on the 7-11 discussion board, and griping because the Slurpee machine was broken? And the clerk refused to fix it?

Hey y’all, that’s why I put on the fireproof pants, and asked a question. I figured feedback would be along these lines, but wanted to ask.

I’m sure you get a lot of crap complaints, and the general consensus appears to be that my question is crap as well.

I had no problem when it’s an occasional turn around, but its daily now. So I was wondering what changed, that they couldn’t back up in the street like they usually do.

I have fresh cracks in the driveway slab, and they took out sprinkler heads with the wheel. So yes, there has been damage to my personal property.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I have fresh cracks in the driveway slab, and they took out sprinkler heads with the wheel. So yes, there has been damage to my personal property.

Then you should have said that in the first place. It is a big deal when they start damaging things. Talk to the driver first and foremost. You will get better results being a man and talking directly to him / her. If that doesn't work, call 1800PICK UPS and complain and report the damage. UPS will fix your drive and buy you a new sprinkler head.

Thank you BrownBiscuit and Scooby0048. I didn’t know I could make a claim to UPS for damage. I really don’t want to get a driver in trouble for it, if it’s something we can resolve ourselves. I’ll try asking and showing him the damage, and see if that helps.

Hey y’all, that’s why I put on the fireproof pants, and asked a question. I figured feedback would be along these lines, but wanted to ask.

I’m sure you get a lot of crap complaints, and the general consensus appears to be that my question is crap as well.

I had no problem when it’s an occasional turn around, but its daily now. So I was wondering what changed, that they couldn’t back up in the street like they usually do.

This isn't the UPS helpline

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
Thank you BrownBiscuit and Scooby0048. I didn’t know I could make a claim to UPS for damage. I really don’t want to get a driver in trouble for it, if it’s something we can resolve ourselves. I’ll try asking and showing him the damage, and see if that helps.
We are taught not to use driveways, but it’s kind of an unwritten rule. I am certain the driver will appreciate you reaching out to them first if the damage isn’t that bad and they will stop.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone one, even the flaming responses.

I’m not old enough to be sitting in a chair on the porch yelling get off my yard, and the responses help with my perspective. No, I don’t want my property damaged, but yes, now I have a better understanding of what drivers are dealing with.