Residential Driveway

ManInBrown

I need some perspective from a professional. I’m ready-got my fireproof britches on.

I’m at the end of an L-shaped street with no outlet, just past a wide turnaround area. For the last 6 months, UPS occasionally backs the truck into my driveway to turn around (no big deal). The driveway is just wide enough for 2 cars, and about 40’ long. The last 2 weeks, it’s occurred every day regardless of if there’s a delivery to my house.

Am I being unreasonable asking the driver not to back up the truck onto my driveway, unless they have a large or heavy delivery, or the weather is bad?

I understand that drivers aren’t supposed to back up, but if they are trying to avoid backing up in the street, why are they backing up into my driveway? And they have to turn left once they pull out of the drive, can’t go right.

Ok, light me up! Am I in the wrong?
Sure. But if you want to be a stickler like that don’t ever think they’re going to do you any favors. Might not be right but maybe in the rain your package doesn’t get put in a rain bag. Might not be right but in the snow you might find your package in a snow bank by your mailbox.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
No, I just respect customers’ property , goofball . Common sense . I think I have some extra common sense I can share with you .
Most people that are giving him a hard time are just runner gunners trying to make their bosses proud and make their number look good. The picture he provide shows plenty of room to turn around without going into a driveway.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Sure. But if you want to be a stickler like that don’t ever think they’re going to do you any favors. Might not be right but maybe in the rain your package doesn’t get put in a rain bag. Might not be right but in the snow you might find your package in a snow bank by your mailbox.
Sounds like a :censored2:ty driver then.. all we have is to provide service, if a customer comes and says please do not use my driveway and you get pissy then you are a :censored2:ty driver. Don’t blame that on the customer.

Scuderia

If you told me not to back into your driveway = NSN and specifically tell the clerk to RTS. When management brings it up after you surely complain, “oh sorry I couldn’t see the numbers because of his overgrown lawn!”

ManInBrown

Sounds like a :censored2:ty driver then.. all we have is to provide service, if a customer comes and says please do not use my driveway and you get pissy then you are a :censored2:ty driver. Don’t blame that on the customer.
Never said I would do that. Besides that fact that I don’t bump cardboard anymore, I wouldn’t do that even if I did. I said don’t be surprised if it happens, because I definitely know there are drivers out there that would.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Sometimes as a cover driver you do what you gotta do to be safe and gtfo there. Not saying it’s right to back into random driveways, but I’ve done it plenty of times. Now same random driveway every day without permission from the homeowner?? Different story. I’ve had some people come out and say “feel free to use our driveway we know it sucks down here.”
Other than that I do my best to only back into the driveway I’m delivering to in order to get turned around

chicken alfredo

Sometimes as a cover driver you do what you gotta do to be safe and gtfo there. Not saying it’s right to back into random driveways, but I’ve done it plenty of times. Now same random driveway every day without permission from the homeowner?? Different story. I’ve had some people come out and say “feel free to use our driveway we know it sucks down here.”
Other than that I do my best to only back into the driveway I’m delivering to in order to get turned around
You should be an Amazon driver !

DOK

Hey y’all, that’s why I put on the fireproof pants, and asked a question. I figured feedback would be along these lines, but wanted to ask.

I’m sure you get a lot of crap complaints, and the general consensus appears to be that my question is crap as well.

I had no problem when it’s an occasional turn around, but its daily now. So I was wondering what changed, that they couldn’t back up in the street like they usually do.

I have fresh cracks in the driveway slab, and they took out sprinkler heads with the wheel. So yes, there has been damage to my personal property.
Go ask the driver if he wouldn’t turn around in your driveway, it’s not that hard, he’ll reply ok. Don’t call the 800 number and make a big deal out of nothing.

DOK

Thanks, I managed to catch the driver today. Apparently different drivers deliver to the neighborhood depending on who gets the route, and a different one had been assigned to it recently.

But my regular was here today and I talked to him. He was totally understanding, and showed how he pulls around the circle so he’s pointed out without having to use the driveway. I gave him cold drinks and snacks for the road as a thank you. Hope that was ok. I’ll try to catch the drivers each day to do the same.
Perfect.

JJinVA

I need some perspective from a professional. I’m ready-got my fireproof britches on.

I’m at the end of an L-shaped street with no outlet, just past a wide turnaround area. For the last 6 months, UPS occasionally backs the truck into my driveway to turn around (no big deal). The driveway is just wide enough for 2 cars, and about 40’ long. The last 2 weeks, it’s occurred every day regardless of if there’s a delivery to my house.

Am I being unreasonable asking the driver not to back up the truck onto my driveway, unless they have a large or heavy delivery, or the weather is bad?

I understand that drivers aren’t supposed to back up, but if they are trying to avoid backing up in the street, why are they backing up into my driveway? And they have to turn left once they pull out of the drive, can’t go right.

Ok, light me up! Am I in the wrong?

Im not gonna go through the whole thread and read because its probably been said already but, at UPS, we have what are called "Back-First Exceptions". That is, when we start the truck, we have to travel at least 500 yards before we can put it in reverse again or we will get a back-first exception. I know when Im on a route, and I need to go back the other direction, I look for driveways like yours to turn around in first, so I can go back the other direction and go straight once I start my truck back up after the delivery.

The truck in your photo looks like one of our thousand series trucks which is already difficult enough to maneuver, its not exactly a Honda Civic... so yes, I speak for myself when I say, I look for driveways like yours where its wide and the vehicles are far away because that might be the safest place to turn around if there isnt a cul-de-sac at the end of the street. But of course you can always request a driver not to use your driveway. Its YOUR driveway. But dont be surprised when he starts leaving all of YOUR packages at the mailbox for making his day more inconvenient. (I dont know if he would really do that. I would, but Im kind of an :censored2:). If he's doing damage then its totally justified that you ask him not to. He will be charged with an accident if you report it to his center.

Method Mensch

I'm an air driver that spends the day delivering LIB bulk and chasing misloads after my air loop is done. I won't get lost, but I'm essentially delivering on the blind about half the time. I don't know the highs/lows house #s at intersections, etc. I turn in people's driveways a fair amount. Sup's understand, but nonetheless ask me to tone it down. I'm high on the backing list in general. I'm working on it, I tell them.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
There is a sort of ettiquette to backing up in private driveways that's gotten lost in the newer generation of drivers and supervisors.
Private concrete pavers is a usually a no, asphalt is usually OK. Long driveways is a 50/50 and frequently backing into the same non-delivery address is a bit of a dick move.

Since we're in the city this also applies to blocking pedestrian/bike paths.

Then again, you go down to a route that was previously held by a retired driver, and you can see all kinds of unreported driveway accidents lol.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Most people that are giving him a hard time are just runner gunners trying to make their bosses proud and make their number look good. The picture he provide shows plenty of room to turn around without going into a driveway.

I don't know. Pictures can make things look bigger than they are. I've seen some pictures where they make a hill look like a mountain. ;)

542thruNthru

I am sure woman have said that to you plenty of times...
tenor-42.gif

I'm reporting your post as off topic!!