Residential Driveway

Poop Head

Judge me.
Ok. The Amazon guy gets chewed out every time he drives down my long driveway., because they leave a hundred black marks trying to turn around in a too small space, inevitably driving on the grass. Yes, I have called Amazon and complained. I am contemplating a gate. Will it cause me to stop using Amazon? Ok.
Put down some spikes just on the edge of your grass

rod

Retired 22 years
Ok. The Amazon guy gets chewed out every time he drives down my long driveway., because they leave a hundred black marks trying to turn around in a too small space, inevitably driving on the grass. Yes, I have called Amazon and complained. I am contemplating a gate. Will it cause me to stop using Amazon? Ok.
So where do you want him to put your stuff? At the end of your LONG driveway?

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
I hear y’all, and thank you for responding. I guess I’m just confused why he wants to squeeze a big truck backwards into my little driveway, when there’s a whole street to back up in? It just seems more intimidating/dangerous to back up into a drive, lol!

The truck delivers on my end of the street every day since covid went nuts, but not to my house every day. So my drive has become a daily turnaround spot.

View attachment 303270

View attachment 303272
I'll tell you this: your driveway is a glorified concrete side street. The groove in front, that is most likely public property. The asphalt in front is definitely public property. However.

That doesn't mean you can't clean it.
The oily stains on the asphalt, the mildew, and all the dirt coming out of the cracks can be decimated in 30 seconds with muriatic acid. And maybe 20 minutes of pressure cleaning with a gasoline-powered pressure cleaner.

Last edited:

MisplacedRailWorker

It looks disgusting. And I guarantee you it was disgusting long before ORION was being run to trace. You probably park nose-in, therefore explaining the oil and fluid stains in the street in front, as you hesitate to back out all the way.

Also, your lawn does NOT help your situation. Take the damn Weedwhacker, unscrew the attachment with the strings, and put on an edger with a blade. Give that grass some clean, defined cuts and you won't even need to mow as often!

@PaintTheTown And I don't work for UPS by the way. I used to. Norfolk Southern

MisplacedRailWorker

Look how nice this POS looks already, what an improvement:
blade2.jpg
blog-edging-holly-springs-320x200.jpg
lawn-sidwalk-edge1.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There is a sort of ettiquette to backing up in private driveways that's gotten lost in the newer generation of drivers and supervisors.
Private concrete pavers is a usually a no, asphalt is usually OK. Long driveways is a 50/50 and frequently backing into the same non-delivery address is a bit of a dick move.

Since we're in the city this also applies to blocking pedestrian/bike paths.

Then again, you go down to a route that was previously held by a retired driver, and you can see all kinds of unreported driveway accidents lol.
Why would pavers be a no no?

MisplacedRailWorker

I have a few choice words for yalls hostlers. Do they get paid per move or do you guys just pick up people being released from prison to move your trailers?
If you're talking about the tractor-trailer drivers that bring the intermodal containers to and from the TOFC and COFC cranes, they are subcontractors just like at CSX Intermodal.

A hostler is an antiquated term used for someone who would now be called a utility man (CSX) or brakeman (NS). Hostlers move locomotives around the yard and the term is coined from the Hostler position (a tiny window with limited control inputs under and aa dead-man's pedal) at the rear of some older locomotives.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I need some perspective from a professional. I’m ready-got my fireproof britches on.

I’m at the end of an L-shaped street with no outlet, just past a wide turnaround area. For the last 6 months, UPS occasionally backs the truck into my driveway to turn around (no big deal). The driveway is just wide enough for 2 cars, and about 40’ long. The last 2 weeks, it’s occurred every day regardless of if there’s a delivery to my house.

Am I being unreasonable asking the driver not to back up the truck onto my driveway, unless they have a large or heavy delivery, or the weather is bad?

I understand that drivers aren’t supposed to back up, but if they are trying to avoid backing up in the street, why are they backing up into my driveway? And they have to turn left once they pull out of the drive, can’t go right.

Ok, light me up! Am I in the wrong?
I'm lazy so I back as much as possible.