Residential Driveway

WTFm8

Hey y’all, that’s why I put on the fireproof pants, and asked a question. I figured feedback would be along these lines, but wanted to ask.

I’m sure you get a lot of crap complaints, and the general consensus appears to be that my question is crap as well.

I had no problem when it’s an occasional turn around, but its daily now. So I was wondering what changed, that they couldn’t back up in the street like they usually do.

I have fresh cracks in the driveway slab, and they took out sprinkler heads with the wheel. So yes, there has been damage to my personal property.

Then report it and be partial cause of someone loosing their 6 figure job for not reporting an accident/property damage.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Then report it and be partial cause of someone loosing their 6 figure job for not reporting an accident/property damage.
Sounds like a dumb driver if he damages something and doesn’t realize it or does t report it.. I hit a branch that’s on a customers lawn I call it in. Sup literary tells me to stop calling but hey it’s my behind I am covering..

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Haha, no chance of that! Work has stuck me at home until the ‘rona lets up. I’m totally going to be watching out my window with a Slurpee.

But if you want to take out the ugly cable box, I’d be much obliged.

If you're talking about the big green box, that's your transformer. It'd make a great fireworks display before everything went dark.

542thruNthru

Sarcasm? Lol
Lol actually no. We were told that we would be making U turns with ORION. We were also told that we could back into drive ways if necessary.

I remember getting in a argument with my ORS and the ORION guy about it. Told them I would do it unless they put on paper that I would be charged for a accident for using a driveway.

Steamer

I appreciate the feedback from everyone one, even the flaming responses.

I’m not old enough to be sitting in a chair on the porch yelling get off my yard, and the responses help with my perspective. No, I don’t want my property damaged, but yes, now I have a better understanding of what drivers are dealing with.

Honestly. We are tracked with everything, from our seat-belts to how far we back daily. Our center even has a backing report. And they will want explanations why we are backing too much. It's supposed to be around 30 feet maximum backing as a general rule.

rod

Retired 22 years
I need some perspective from a professional. I’m ready-got my fireproof britches on.

I’m at the end of an L-shaped street with no outlet, just past a wide turnaround area. For the last 6 months, UPS occasionally backs the truck into my driveway to turn around (no big deal). The driveway is just wide enough for 2 cars, and about 40’ long. The last 2 weeks, it’s occurred every day regardless of if there’s a delivery to my house.

Am I being unreasonable asking the driver not to back up the truck onto my driveway, unless they have a large or heavy delivery, or the weather is bad?

I understand that drivers aren’t supposed to back up, but if they are trying to avoid backing up in the street, why are they backing up into my driveway? And they have to turn left once they pull out of the drive, can’t go right.

Ok, light me up! Am I in the wrong?
Sound pretty petty to me. Is the truck damaging your driveway? How about the mailman, garbage man and all the other delivery trucks? Sometimes it not wise to piss of someone you rely on for deliveries---just saying.

M

MenInBrown

I need some perspective from a professional. I’m ready-got my fireproof britches on.

I’m at the end of an L-shaped street with no outlet, just past a wide turnaround area. For the last 6 months, UPS occasionally backs the truck into my driveway to turn around (no big deal). The driveway is just wide enough for 2 cars, and about 40’ long. The last 2 weeks, it’s occurred every day regardless of if there’s a delivery to my house.

Am I being unreasonable asking the driver not to back up the truck onto my driveway, unless they have a large or heavy delivery, or the weather is bad?

I understand that drivers aren’t supposed to back up, but if they are trying to avoid backing up in the street, why are they backing up into my driveway? And they have to turn left once they pull out of the drive, can’t go right.

Ok, light me up! Am I in the wrong?
Just remember he/she is the hand that feeds you.

iruhnman630

You have every right to prohibit our trucks from using your driveway.

But understand there is no way to communicate it to each individual driver.

And your driveway is not narrow. It does look like the best option in this situation

Est.1998

Sound pretty petty to me. Is the truck damaging your driveway? How about the mailman, garbage man and all the other delivery trucks? Sometimes it not wise to piss of someone you rely on for deliveries---just saying.
I was just thinking this.
What does the garbage man do?
Also, there are too many variables that require me to be there to assess the situation.
The OP shouldn't feel awful for not wanting anyone to use their driveway for these purposes.
As a city driver, i run into situations that put me down dead end streets with vehicles parked in driveways and both sides of the street all the time.
Normally, there's a section at the end of the street designed for vehicles to 3point turn in but, I'll sometimes see people using that to put trashcans, park their cars, or the lawn care service truck will be blocking it. When this happens, I'll use the first driveway i see that's free of obstacles to turn around in.

MrBates

I hear y’all, and thank you for responding. I guess I’m just confused why he wants to squeeze a big truck backwards into my little driveway, when there’s a whole street to back up in? It just seems more intimidating/dangerous to back up into a drive, lol!

The truck delivers on my end of the street every day since covid went nuts, but not to my house every day. So my drive has become a daily turnaround spot.

View attachment 303270

View attachment 303272

We can just skip your whole street altogether and send you and your neighbors packages to an access point if you like.

quad decade guy

I've seen signs that say "your package has been returned to shipper". :-)

Ok. The Amazon guy gets chewed out every time he drives down my long driveway., because they leave a hundred black marks trying to turn around in a too small space, inevitably driving on the grass. Yes, I have called Amazon and complained. I am contemplating a gate. Will it cause me to stop using Amazon? Ok.