Road test in manual/stickshift transmission failure/2 chance at road test?

BigFrank

I took my road test 2 weeks ago July, 23 in nyc for new 22.4 driver position and failed.Ups had me and other prospective 22.4 drivers do our road test in oldest and largest stick shift box truck they had in center. I know how to drive manual, but come on, an outdated truck. I am 34 year old and when I went for my drivers license all lessons, it was done with automactic transmission. This is 21 century, nobody hardly uses stick shifts anymore. Ups needs to get rid of requirement of taking road test in manual truck, because from what I understand after a person is hired all new drivers receive automatics anyway. So what is the point, I guess just a way to keep people from getting the job.Right now I am unemployed, and was looking forward to being hired I new 22.4 driver postion. Ups needs to take all stick shift trucks to scrap yard, do away with them. All Upscenters should have all automatic trucks, and road test given in them. This is not the 20 century 1960s, stick shift come on ups. Stick shift requirement needs to stop

Last edited:

badpal

Sad thing is they prolly paid a wrecker service to haul one over from a neighboring center, just so you could take a road test with one. Seen them do that at my center.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Are you SURE this isn’t a troll post?
Really really?
If it’s not, I suggest you leave now and never ever check your BC notifications. You have no idea what you’ve just done.

El Correcto

god is dead
I took my road test 2 weeks ago July, 23 in nyc for new 22.4 driver position and failed.Ups had me and other prospective 22.4 drivers do our road test in oldest and largest stick shift box truck they had in center. I know how to drive manual, but come on, an outdated truck. I am 34 year old and when I went for my drivers license all lessons, it was done with automactic transmission. This is 21 century, nobody hardly uses stick shifts anymore. Ups needs to get rid of requirement of taking road test in manual truck, because from what I understand after a person is hired all new drivers receive automatics anyway. So what is the point, I guess just a way to keep people from getting the job.Right now I am unemployed, and was looking forward to being hired I new 22.4 driver postion. Ups needs to take all stick shift trucks to scrap yard, do away with them. All Upscenters should have all automatic trucks, and road test given in them. This is not the 20 century 1960s, stick shift come on ups. Stick shift requirement needs to stop
Right away bigfrank.
Is there any other unreasonable demands you would like to make of your future employer?

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
Ups needs to take all stick shift trucks to scrap yard, do away with them. All Upscenters should have all automatic trucks, and road test given in them. This is not the 20 century 1960s, stick shift come on ups. Stick shift requirement needs to stop

Believe it or not the manuals are still around. In my building, they make more appearances in the summer days on junk routes than any other time.
But if you’re a new driver, good chance you’ll be put on one of those junk routes! Therefore, good chance you will be no good to UPS since you won’t be able to drive it. Good luck!

OKLABob

I’d rather have stick shifts half the trannys in the auto propane’s we have won’t shift into high gear

1stgear

If I were to make an estimation, OP should never even drive a car let alone a manual package car in traffic. That said, my center has at least 15 manual transmission package cars and half are used every day by senior drivers.

BigFrank

Sad thing is they prolly paid a wrecker service to haul one over from a neighboring center, just so you could take a road test with one. Seen them do that at my center.
That sucks big time, Ups should have given you test in automatic truck. Ups made effort to bring pre historic stick shift truck for your road test, instead of scraping stupid requirement,and getting rid of all stick shift trucks, The whole Ups truck fleet should be automatics. No manual transmissions what so ever.

Last edited:

BigFrank

If I were to make an estimation, OP should never even drive a car let alone a manual package car in traffic. That said, my center has at least 15 manual transmission package cars and half are used every day by senior drivers.
Let senior drivers have the clunkers, I prefer full auto. senior drivers can have those dinosaurs. Hey! they might even prefer manuals, all that work to drive stick. its enough to deliver the packages, let alone switching gears. Automatic is the way to go, and Ups should know this by now.

clean hairy

Go ahead, make a trip Atlanta and march right in and give them a list of your demands.
Let us know how that works out for you!
And WHY did ypu start 3 threads with the same questoin?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
oie_overlay.gif

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Let senior drivers have the clunkers, I prefer full auto. senior drivers can have those dinosaurs. Hey! they might even prefer manuals, all that work to drive stick. its enough to deliver the packages, let alone switching gears. Automatic is the way to go, and Ups should know this by now.
You don’t work here.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
The manual transmission is an aptitude test. If you can’t drive one or can’t be arsed to learn, odds are you don’t have the mental fortitude to drive for UPS. I hope they keep them around forever to weed out the babies.

jimaug87

I started in a center where about 50% of the trucks were sticks. I transfered recently, and all of the trucks are auto here.

They found a stick shift during peak, the casual they assigned to it couldn't drive it. They asked me if I could drive stick. I said yes, but I'm not doing that route. I left and never found out what they did about that