Road test in manual/stickshift transmission failure/2 chance at road test?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I took my road test 2 weeks ago July, 23 in nyc for new 22.4 driver position and failed.Ups had me and other prospective 22.4 drivers do our road test in oldest and largest stick shift box truck they had in center. I know how to drive manual, but come on, an outdated truck. I am 34 year old and when I went for my drivers license all lessons, it was done with automactic transmission. This is 21 century, nobody hardly uses stick shifts anymore. Ups needs to get rid of requirement of taking road test in manual truck, because from what I understand after a person is hired all new drivers receive automatics anyway. So what is the point, I guess just a way to keep people from getting the job.Right now I am unemployed, and was looking forward to being hired I new 22.4 driver postion. Ups needs to take all stick shift trucks to scrap yard, do away with them. All Upscenters should have all automatic trucks, and road test given in them. This is not the 20 century 1960s, stick shift come on ups. Stick shift requirement needs to stop
Or you could just be a man and learn to drive a stick. I bet soon you’ll demand all the trucks be self driving as well. C’mon man you’re 34 years old. Man up

BigFrank

Have you asked or heard anything yet?
not yet, bit has been about two weeks. when I log in to ups jobs it states that my application is inactive, on file no action needed at this time. maybe somebody will throw in towel, or becaome disqualified, and I will take that person's place.

rod

Retired 22 years
@rod took his road test in a steam powered truck
I never had a road test. I never had any kind of UPS schooling. I went right from part time car washer/ car spotter/ trailer loader/ receiving counter/ porter/ jack of all trades on Friday to full time driver on Tuesday (Memorial day weekend 1971). I never was sent to any training classes in Minneapolis- in fact I've never been in any of the facilities in the Twin Cities. (apparently I was just that good).:-) My total "training" was a District Manager road with me for 2 days when I started delivering. There was a lot of "do as I say not as I do" talk. We even delivered some residential with the bulkhead door and the back door on my P-600 wide open because it was really hot out

BigFrank

I never had a road test. I never had any kind of UPS schooling. I went right from part time car washer/ car spotter/ trailer loader/ receiving counter/ porter/ jack of all trades on Friday to full time driver on Tuesday (Memorial day weekend 1971). I never was sent to any training classes in Minneapolis- in fact I've never been in any of the facilities in the Twin Cities. (apparently I was just that good).:-) My total "training" was a District Manager road with me for 2 days when I started delivering. There was a lot of "do as I say not as I do" talk. We even delivered some residential with the bulkhead door and the back door on my P-600 wide open because it was really hot out
The good old days, bring them back.

BigFrank

Have some faith Frankie , around here we don’t even make them take the test in manuals...I’m sure in NYC it’s a whole different world but let them know you want to work and you’ll be fine
what state is this at? I can not let them know. I have not received contact from them.