roll away, never shown / told hand brake tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

11.19igrad

OP, you might have gotten some respect with your first post being "I messed up. Did not use the handbrake and had a rollaway. How do I keep from getting fired?"
Instead, coming on here as a tough guy "not my fault, I will go in and tell management this is unacceptable!"
AND, after being given some great advice, STILL not able to admit your own mistake!
Good thing you were dropped like a bad habit!
(Watch, he will have some stupid response, as this is too far above his understanding)
There's a lot of posts on here, I have admitted my mistake. Don't pick and choose what you want too if you're going to criticize me. Read everything I've posted and you will find you are wrong.

11.19igrad

OP, you might have gotten some respect with your first post being "I messed up. Did not use the handbrake and had a rollaway. How do I keep from getting fired?"
Instead, coming on here as a tough guy "not my fault, I will go in and tell management this is unacceptable!"
AND, after being given some great advice, STILL not able to admit your own mistake!
Good thing you were dropped like a bad habit!
(Watch, he will have some stupid response, as this is too far above his understanding)
The vodka wanted me to add this...
Only the bad habits are the fun habits! ;)
Sweet dreams!!

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
It took you about 5 hours to do 20 stops?

That last driver was a cleanup,utility route... covering 20 routes / 6 zipcode area

He would've brought back 50 stops if we didn't meet up to help.

Yeah, hour to head straight home after that mess. I took his worst area, so they can load up with more the next day.

11.19igrad

Yeah, I got laughed at in my FXG terminal for applying the parking brake whenever I stop, even inside the line-up...

I told them it's 2nd nature for me because I use "best practices" or "the UPS way"

rushing leads to accidents as the OP had experienced. So not making sure it was a in park...Did he left the engine running too?

I admit to having done it the dumb typical FXG way at a stop when rushing in the past and returned to a stationary vehicle because the parking brake held... whoops.

After that close call, I established that routine of park, engage parking brake, shut down the engine.

In my personal vehicles, I actually shift to neutral first, engage parking brake to see if it holds, thus relieve the stress on the parking pawl , then shift to park & shut down.

I'll just have to remind them of this when they pester me next time:

Yep only would have taken a few extra seconds to make sure I had truck secure. :-(

OrioN

Compare to when the boss uses the term "family." It's also funny that the company refers to us as "service providers" -- what an antiseptic word lol.

We're "essential service providers"

I just got warned that we're heading for another spike in volume after the memorial holiday weekend... sigh, thank goodness I'm only a temporary manager

OrioN

Wtf is a straight truck. Some of the lingo drivers use is hilarious.

budget-truck-jpg.151929

1800.GO.BUDGET

Some of your brownie drivers calls it other names, like "big bertha"

@Code 82 Approved , umm all the automatic straight trucks I've used has a P for park. Can u take a pic of your dash cluster to say otherwise?

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
@Code 82 Approved , umm all the automatic straight trucks I've used has a P for park. Can u take a pic of your dash cluster to say otherwise?[/QUOTE]

Sure, I will take a pic tomorrow... none of our 3 Freightliners have a "P"

OrioN

. none of our 3 Freightliners have a "P"

Ahhh, the only rental straight truck was either a Ford or GMC.

Your vehicles have that shifter on the column with D N R on the handle? Basically a manual transmission, but with an automatic conversion to it?

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
On any real hill, handbrake only wont hold the truck.
You can test it in the AM pretrip but if you pick up more package weight than you deliver you'd better test it throughout the day. It takes experience to know and apply this.

You know it's always the driver's fault. You get charged and then have to prove your innocence similar to any communist controlled country. The hate for their own employees is a shock to normal people who dont work there.

Train people correctly, monitor their habits throughout their career in that capacity, and quit blaming the ignorant/uninformed mistakes of employees on the employee who was not trained correctly or comprehensively. It's a corrupt system if the people in control are dishonest in their motives.

Idk why this thread is so interesting. It's the same old story over and over. I've seen it and so has about everyone else on here. Half hearted supes (30 day...or less...wonders) doing half hearted work while "training" new drivers or any employee.

If the management wants you as an employee theyll find a way to put you back to work that wont enhance their liability. Otherwise move on knowing this is how it goes here. It's a lifetime of being blamed for things out of your control or scope of knowledge.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
What's so funny about team?

I established a teamwork mentality on my belt line... to the tune that I don't have to drive today since we're caught up.

Last night, 3 of us were done before 1500, but found out one driver still have 90 stops to go.

We all went to take ~20 stops each & ALL clocked out before 2000, instead of letting that one driver stay out late.

That's what I want outta my drivers if I want them to stay happy. (Sure, I'm a defacto manager for now until this pandemic peak season subsidies)

Corny as it is, that's Wut I'm singing while balancing the workload of each route every morning
Come drive as a ups supervisor. I could use the double time pay.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Wtf is a straight truck. Some of the lingo drivers use is hilarious.
Straight truck. Easy to define.

It's straight, with a box on the frame rails behind the cab, and not a combination vehicle, so to speak. The box is typically independent from the cab and entered from the back &/or side door(s) if equipped with a side door.

They can require a cdl license to operate them depending on if they have air brakes and/or revolver 26,000 gvwr.

Status
Not open for further replies.