roll away, never shown / told hand brake tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

11.19igrad

You can test it in the AM pretrip but if you pick up more package weight than you deliver you'd better test it throughout the day. It takes experience to know and apply this.

You know it's always the driver's fault. You get charged and then have to prove your innocence similar to any communist controlled country. The hate for their own employees is a shock to normal people who dont work there.

Train people correctly, monitor their habits throughout their career in that capacity, and quit blaming the ignorant/uninformed mistakes of employees on the employee who was not trained correctly or comprehensively. It's a corrupt system if the people in control are dishonest in their motives.

Idk why this thread is so interesting. It's the same old story over and over. I've seen it and so has about everyone else on here. Half hearted supes (30 day...or less...wonders) doing half hearted work while "training" new drivers or any employee.

If the management wants you as an employee theyll find a way to put you back to work that wont enhance their liability. Otherwise move on knowing this is how it goes here. It's a lifetime of being blamed for things out of your control or scope of knowledge.

amen and amen. I still rushed and didn't engage park but yes, the truth.

11.19igrad

so I gotta go to Birmingham mid-June to panels, are there really this many drivers canned they need a whole week for hearings? I guess no one knows which day mine will be on so I have to camp out the whole time until my case is up? man... fml

Jdubjr

so I gotta go to Birmingham mid-June to panels, are there really this many drivers canned they need a whole week for hearings? I guess no one knows which day mine will be on so I have to camp out the whole time until my case is up? man... fml
I’ll see you there too

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Humble yourself. Answer the questions posed with humility and respect no matter what the boneheads may say.

If you keep your job just remember what happened to you and never let it happen again.
Keep your eyes moving. There are sharks in the water.

If you dont get your job back just remember this one thing...

Things happen in life for a reason.

One of my good friends worked in a blue collar job he really didnt like. He was not a good fit there. One day he got fired and instead of being depressed he pushed forward with what he always wanted to do. Open his own restaurant.
After being open for a year a large corporation saw his talent and drive so they bought him out and put him in charge of their multimillion dollar restaurant located in a high dollar hotel.

Now they fly him around the country in their jet to sample other restaurant's culinary niches.

This job is a good one, ok, I know that but maybe there's a better opportunity ahead that matches your God given fortes.

Life doesnt begin and end groveling in front of ups panels and crooked labor managers. Life is what you make of it and sometimes a mistake is a blessing in disguise.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
...or Buster Brown....I used to laugh when some of the "real" truck drivers would call me Buster Brown...

For you youngsters out there, Buster Brown was a brand of shoes, not a term to describe UPSers.
Buster Brown shoes were retail launched in 1902.

Ups was founded in 1907, of course not as "ups" but both have been around about equal time.

Buster Brown was the CB handle name ups drivers were called by over the air waves when CBs were all that were used to communicate from one commercial vehicle to another.

That started way before you were driving any vehicle.

I still remember riding in my dad's AMC station wagon when I was in grammar school and passing a ups semi with the stone deflector brush over the wheel wells, noting that those semis were different than any other I'd seen on the road and thinking "that company took pride in their vehicles". Even at that young age, probably 8 years prior to being able to drive, I knew there was something different about ups trucks.

Buster Brown was a respected cb handle whether you know it or not.

11.19igrad

Humble yourself. Answer the questions posed with humility and respect no matter what the boneheads may say.

If you keep your job just remember what happened to you and never let it happen again.

One of my good friends worked in a blue collar job he really didnt like. He was not a good fit there. One day he got fired and instead of being depressed he pushed forward with what he always wanted to do. Open his own restaurant.
After being open for a year a large corporation saw his talent and drive so they bought him out and put him in charge of their multimillion dollar restaurant located in a high dollar hotel.

Now they fly him around the country in their jet to sample other restaurant's culinary niches.

This job is a good one, ok, I know that but maybe there's a better opportunity ahead that matches your God given fortes.

Life doesnt begin and end groveling in front of ups panels and crooked labor managers. Life is what you make of it and sometimes a mistake is a blessing in disguise.
Really appreciate you man. Thanks for the encouragement.

11.19igrad

Part of me wants to tell them, if they want to use liability as their excuse to fire me, I'm a better bet than new drivers from integrad. I've learned some hard lessons and they don't have to pay $8k to teach me from scratch. I've lost this, I know what that feels like and that will make me value it even more. What do u think?

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Really appreciate you man. Thanks for the encouragement.
All we can do is our best. Be positive. Admit our mistakes. Move on with whatever happens from here.

No one walking this planet is perfect. If you werent trained to tighten the e-brake or adjust it upon pretrip tell them so. Dont be a rug they wipe their feet on but dont throw the supervision under the bus with a vengeance.

State the facts as you know them, apologize for being young in your career, and tell them you will do better if given the opportunity.

Be honest and let the chips fall where they may.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Part of me wants to tell them, if they want to use liability as their excuse to fire me, I'm a better bet than new drivers from integrad. I've learned some hard lessons and they don't have to pay $8k to teach me from scratch. I've lost this, I know what that feels like and that will make me value it even more. What do u think?
I believe that the panel hates cocky employees no matter which side they are on.

You can not compare yourself to anyone else. You only have to survive and being humble is the path to that end.

They see everything at the panel. They dont know you so dont blow a first impression by comparing yourself with other people.
Again, be humble, apoplectic, and humbly tell what happened.
Then tell them you'd like another chance to succeed for the company and for yourself.
That's my opinion.

11.19igrad

I believe that the panel hates cocky employees no matter which side they are on.

You can not compare yourself to anyone else. You only have to survive and being humble is the path to that end.

They see everything at the panel. They dont know you so dont blow a first impression by comparing yourself with other people.
Then tell them you'd like another chance to succeed for the company and for yourself.
That's my opinion.

I didn't even think of it that way. Ur totally right.

11.19igrad

That's my opinion.

Vodka venting session #2

You've already illuminated the obvious that ups has driver management that gets away with murder only doing the bare minimum follow up training after integrad. If that. I'm a careful driver anyway. I'm 34. This :censored2: I will.never be able to explain to myself til I die. The :censored2:ing truck was still. STILL. It wasn't until i started walking back it started to roll. My :censored2: only thought of using my foot on the brake I could have reached in with my arm, banged up a few ribs. I froze. The brake was up I thought the tranny went out. And the truck had gained momentum. It landed on a hilled yard facing down and stayed PUT!! I circled it watching my career vanish before my eyes. Then I moved it and texted my last words to my sup. I'll just be forever lost on why after thousands of stops I :censored2:ing didn't park the :censored2: and why it didn't roll right away so I could catch it. The :censored2: handbrake was loose and I never heard anything about that :censored2:ing :censored2:. If it was tight it would have bought me 30 seconds
Unbelievable. I :censored2:ed up yes but management is the real liability. They are bringing people like me no commercial driving experience on and barely scratching the surface.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
You're repeating yourself... guess it helps you out to rant on here

Hint: be sober when you go to panel.

@Boywondr advice to you is on point

Good luck!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Buster Brown shoes were retail launched in 1902.

Ups was founded in 1907, of course not as "ups" but both have been around about equal time.

Buster Brown was the CB handle name ups drivers were called by over the air waves when CBs were all that were used to communicate from one commercial vehicle to another.

That started way before you were driving any vehicle.

I still remember riding in my dad's AMC station wagon when I was in grammar school and passing a ups semi with the stone deflector brush over the wheel wells, noting that those semis were different than any other I'd seen on the road and thinking "that company took pride in their vehicles". Even at that young age, probably 8 years prior to being able to drive, I knew there was something different about ups trucks.

Buster Brown was a respected cb handle whether you know it or not.

I found it to be a degrading term used by "real" truckers to mock us.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Vodka venting session #2

You've already illuminated the obvious that ups has driver management that gets away with murder only doing the bare minimum follow up training after integrad. If that. I'm a careful driver anyway. I'm 34. This :censored2: I will.never be able to explain to myself til I die. The :censored2:ing truck was still. STILL. It wasn't until i started walking back it started to roll. My :censored2: only thought of using my foot on the brake I could have reached in with my arm, banged up a few ribs. I froze. The brake was up I thought the tranny went out. And the truck had gained momentum. It landed on a hilled yard facing down and stayed PUT!! I circled it watching my career vanish before my eyes. Then I moved it and texted my last words to my sup. I'll just be forever lost on why after thousands of stops I :censored2:ing didn't park the :censored2: and why it didn't roll right away so I could catch it. The :censored2: handbrake was loose and I never heard anything about that :censored2:ing :censored2:. If it was tight it would have bought me 30 seconds
Unbelievable. I :censored2:ed up yes but management is the real liability. They are bringing people like me no commercial driving experience on and barely scratching the surface.

Yawn.

When you at your hearing sit there with your mouth shut. Open your mouth only to answer a question. DO NOT offer anything beyond what they ask. DO NOT try to blame the company for their failure to properly train you.

You should know that your fate has already been sealed long before your are asked to enter the room. The only thing that can change that is your behavior during the hearing.

If you do come back, and you probably will, take this as a painful lesson learned. Make sure that you are doing all of the little things to make sure that nothing big happens. This time it was just a mailbox----next time it could be a kid.

Finally, and for the love of God, ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT YOU DID!!!!!

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I found it to be a degrading term used by "real" truckers to mock us.
You don't know much about OTR trucking and the mindset.

Driving your little brown bread truck around is nothing compared to where drivers, responsible for hauling tens of thousands of pounds of freight, in tankers, pulling triples, and jockeying thru places like NYC, Chicago, and dense metro areas where there are more opportunities for problems, being required to back into and thru places that you have no clue about and all of this WITHOUT the respect of the general populous (unlike ups) giving them room to move or helping them out of a jamb with a little grace....

you really have no clue.

Call me buster brown any day. That is actually a respectful term because I've been in the cb conversations that included the nickname prior to coming to buster brown and no one disrespected upsers in that talk.

When I think of you, instead of relating your memory to a buster brown I get memories of the Male lot lizards in the pickle parks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You don't know much about OTR trucking and the mindset.

Driving your little brown bread truck around is nothing compared to where drivers, responsible for hauling tens of thousands of pounds of freight, in tankers, pulling triples, and jockeying thru places like NYC, Chicago, and dense metro areas where there are more opportunities for problems, being required to back into and thru places that you have no clue about and all of this WITHOUT the respect of the general populous (unlike ups) giving them room to move or helping them out of a jamb with a little grace....

you really have no clue.

Call me buster brown any day. That is actually a respectful term because I've been in the cb conversations that included the nickname prior to coming to buster brown and no one disrespected upsers in that talk.

When I think of you, instead of relating your memory to a buster brown I get memories of the Male lot lizards in the pickle parks.

Some of us had bigger goals in life than to drive an 18 wheeler.

Status
Not open for further replies.