Rumor spread of MN starting top scale pay of next contract

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I was baffled that my (long-tenured) local president thinks the company is on board with removing the 22.4 language.

I could be wrong on this, but are most of these new 22.4 driving positions filled by off the street hires. Back in the day most of us full timers had at least 5 years part time prior, the advantage for UPS was that they were well oriented and trained on the work requirements demanded, physically and mentally, they weeded out the ones who couldn’t cut it (hourly and management). Now we are scrapping the bottom of the barrel in order to get and keep new younger employees, so much easier and better paying jobs out there.

Recently I observed two PVD’s, God bless them ... but both had to be way pass 60 and one was walking with a cane. These center managers are not dumb, how are the going to make their bricks without straw with the retention rate so low. I guess they have to lower the standards to qualify for these driving positions or live with not hitting their numbers.

Another factor is today’s generation will not have the work ethic or the patience to continue with working with a Company that does not provide any advancement in a certain time frame. No one is going to hang around for 5 to 10 years to get into a full time position, it is simply not worth it. They are not dumb they see the old timers limping to the time clocks and being treated like cattle by the Company and the Union and they want no part of ending up the same way.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I could be wrong on this, but are most of these new 22.4 driving positions filled by off the street hires. Back in the day most of us full timers had at least 5 years part time prior, the advantage for UPS was that they were well oriented and trained on the work requirements demanded, physically and mentally, they weeded out the ones who couldn’t cut it (hourly and management). Now we are scrapping the bottom of the barrel in order to get and keep new younger employees, so much easier and better paying jobs out there.

Recently I observed two PVD’s, God bless them ... but both had to be way pass 60 and one was walking with a cane. These center managers are not dumb, how are the going to make their bricks without straw with the retention rate so low. I guess they have to lower the standards to qualify for these driving positions or live with not hitting their numbers.

Another factor is today’s generation will not have the work ethic or the patience to continue with working with a Company that does not provide any advancement in a certain time frame. No one is going to hang around for 5 to 10 years to get into a full time position, it is simply not worth it. They are not dumb they see the old timers limping to the time clocks and being treated like cattle by the Company and the Union and they want no part of ending up the same way.
We have had many times where “the kids” have left the truck on route and got back to their car and quit…they dgas, they say fk it and go find someone else. I’ve seen mgt baby the youth because they are afraid of them just up and leaving.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
We have had many times where “the kids” have left the truck on route and got back to their car and quit…they dgas, they say fk it and go find someone else. I’ve seen mgt baby the youth because they are afraid of them just up and leaving.
There were times when I felt like bringing the truck back and going home too. But I had a wife a son and a house to support. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up. Unfortunately, that attitude isn’t as common today. I knew lots of young guys that worked like animals, but I knew a lot of whiners too. Some not so young, lol

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There were times when I felt like bringing the truck back and going home too. But I had a wife a son and a house to support. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up. Unfortunately, that attitude isn’t as common today. I knew lots of young guys that worked like animals, but I knew a lot of whiners too. Some not so young, lol
Every year they get younger and younger and every year they have to hire more and more because every year more and more leave for somewhere else… vicious circle.

UnionStrong

Every year they get younger and younger and every year they have to hire more and more because every year more and more leave for somewhere else… vicious circle.
The job isn’t for everyone. You can’t be thin skinned and you have to think on your feet and be able to adapt to situations without flipping out.

UnionStrong

There should be no concessions at all. No more give and take.
Unfortunately that’s not how it works. You have to bargain in good faith, not by ultimatum. Also depends on what’s given and what’s taken. Impossible to please everyone.

upsguy28

I've always thought even since last negotiations that hrs worked should go to pension, not a 2080 cap. I think that would be the biggest way to fight the over 9.5 problem since they'd be paying OT, plus penalty pay over 9.5, plus extra pension contributions. If it means I would get to retire younger and have more monthly/yearly income I would be all for that. Especially if this 10 months of hell, 2 months easier during peak continues...

Anthropomorphic Cow

Save money regardless. But a strike that lasts more than a day or 2 would cripple UPS and the Teamsters.
That’s why I like what a lot of nurses unions do, they authorize a 1 day strike to show they have the votes and willingness to strike to get management to play ball, then go fully on strike if that fails.