Shaving Hours

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

59 Dano is either management, or a shill, or maybe even both. How many of you out there would still have a job if you told your manager you took 15 lates because you wanted to be "safe"? Yep, it's "my" decision when I turn that key that I'm going to be completely safe and then come home and tell my wife I have a decision day for not making my numbers. LOL times 2!!

FedEx courier

Have you guys ever thought about contacting OSHA about situations like this. Everyone is supposed to have the right to complain legitimately about safety and is supposed to be allowed protection from retaliation for doing so. If people are being forced to speed then it's obviously a safety concern both for the courier and other drivers. They would have to respond if it's a safety issue and you can remain anonymous. The contact on the website is this page:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/osha7/eComplaintForm.html

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Have you guys ever thought about contacting OSHA about situations like this. Everyone is supposed to have the right to complain legitimately about safety and is supposed to be allowed protection from retaliation for doing so. If people are being forced to speed then it's obviously a safety concern both for the courier and other drivers. They would have to respond if it's a safety issue and you can remain anonymous. The contact on the website is this page:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/osha7/eComplaintForm.html

Retaliation...at FedEx? Nope..never. Just ask 59Dano. If he reported to OSHA that FedEx was forcing him to drive in an unsafe manner, he'd probably get a Golden Falcon Award for bringing it to the attention of management. Here's some reality for you... "Drive safe, but don't have any lates, get your full break, and don't be late for the CTV or aircraft either." Yeah, sure...OK. I'll bet that whenever he has 10 too many P1's, he just slows down and drives according to the Smith System. And when his manager OLCC's him for all the lates, he uses Open Door and GFT to protest..and wins. NOT!!! Get effing real!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Retaliation...at FedEx? Nope..never. Just ask 59Dano. If he reported to OSHA that FedEx was forcing him to drive in an unsafe manner, he'd probably get a Golden Falcon Award for bringing it to the attention of management. Here's some reality for you... "Drive safe, but don't have any lates, get your full break, and don't be late for the CTV or aircraft either." Yeah, sure...OK. I'll bet that whenever he has 10 too many P1's, he just slows down and drives according to the Smith System. And when his manager OLCC's him for all the lates, he uses Open Door and GFT to protest..and wins. NOT!!! Get effing real!

What's your problem? Is your life so empty that you need to be King Of The Message Boards and you take great offense to anyone who dares to question any of your comments or, even worse, outright disagrees with you? You whine and pout and cry waaaay too much for a grown-up.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Has anyone else seen their start times rolled back again this week? In my district, it's happening both at the ramp to RTD's and at stations to couriers. It just seems a bit too coincidental that both took place at the same time, making me wonder if this is also a national phenomenon.

Are you sure you got it right? Rolling back starting times means an earlier "leave the building time". Any opportunity to get on the road means the chances of late air is minimized.

Now, according to your post, if you noticed a LATER starting time for everyone including the "RTD's & CTV's" (feeder trucks?) then I can understand management's intolerance for late air.

It seems like they are trying to adjust and fine-tune the sort as mgmt will do throughout the year. As far as "national phenomenon" thats hard to believe because no two sorts are alike.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Are you sure you got it right? Rolling back starting times means an earlier "leave the building time". Any opportunity to get on the road means the chances of late air is minimized.

Now, according to your post, if you noticed a LATER starting time for everyone including the "RTD's & CTV's" (feeder trucks?) then I can understand management's intolerance for late air.

It seems like they are trying to adjust and fine-tune the sort as mgmt will do throughout the year. As far as "national phenomenon" thats hard to believe because no two sorts are alike.

For us, "rolling back" generally means starting later and equates to a much later leave building time. This creates more late air and general havoc in the afternoon as everybody has to play catch-up.

I wondered if this was a national thing because our local RTD's (feeders) were also being started later. Too much of a coincidence.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What's your problem? Is your life so empty that you need to be King Of The Message Boards and you take great offense to anyone who dares to question any of your comments or, even worse, outright disagrees with you? You whine and pout and cry waaaay too much for a grown-up.

I take great offense at individuals who pretend to be employees supportive of the Smith regime and attempting to paint a false picture of a company brimming with happy and satisfied workers. You can disagree with me all you want, and I won't whine or pout about it. What I will do is expose false information and equally false "prophets" who parrot the FedEx corporate line. You are the one who gets all upset when I out you.

I enjoy a good debate, but to trade barbs with someone like you really isn't an exchange of ideas because you have none other than those provided for you by FedEx. Your anecdotal "evidence" reeks of exactly what the company would want a mindless supporter to say in order to make others believe that there aren't any issues at Express and that the whole RLA deal is just an attempt by UPS to get a "bailout" at the expense of FedEx. Boo hoo...keep trying.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I take great offense at individuals who pretend to be employees supportive of the Smith regime and attempting to paint a false picture of a company brimming with happy and satisfied workers. You can disagree with me all you want, and I won't whine or pout about it. What I will do is expose false information and equally false "prophets" who parrot the FedEx corporate line. You are the one who gets all upset when I out you.

How do you "out" me for something that I haven't even done?

I enjoy a good debate, but to trade barbs with someone like you really isn't an exchange of ideas because you have none other than those provided for you by FedEx. Your anecdotal "evidence" reeks of exactly what the company would want a mindless supporter to say in order to make others believe that there aren't any issues at Express and that the whole RLA deal is just an attempt by UPS to get a "bailout" at the expense of FedEx. Boo hoo...keep trying.

I enjoy a good debate, too. When you're done with your histrionic paranoid accusations, perhaps we could have one.

Mr Shifter

bbsam do you workers realize you're Fred's Lap dog? Only there to fill the void until he merges the ground and express segments.:funny:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
bbsam do you workers realize you're Fred's Lap dog? Only there to fill the void until he merges the ground and express segments.:funny:

That's the $64,000 question. Will bbsam and Fred get what they want, which is the end of Express as we know it and a shift of most products over to Ground, OR will Express go union and Ground IC's be ruled to be employees?

Hey bbsam, here's a question that I posed to you over on the Brown side, and somehow it got bounced. Since you're such a fervent free market capitalist, what if Fred got special legislation allowing him to have "guest workers" be imported from another country at $3.50 per hour? They would become the new Ground employees, and would eliminate the IC's. Would you also embrace this? It would just be the breaks of capitalism, right? Just another coup for Smith, who would rake-in the difference.

bbsam

Staff member
That's the $64,000 question. Will bbsam and Fred get what they want, which is the end of Express as we know it and a shift of most products over to Ground, OR will Express go union and Ground IC's be ruled to be employees?

Hey bbsam, here's a question that I posed to you over on the Brown side, and somehow it got bounced. Since you're such a fervent free market capitalist, what if Fred got special legislation allowing him to have "guest workers" be imported from another country at $3.50 per hour? They would become the new Ground employees, and would eliminate the IC's. Would you also embrace this? It would just be the breaks of capitalism, right? Just another coup for Smith, who would rake-in the difference.
I will say it again. Nothing promised, nothing stolen. If within the framework of the contract Fred can do that, then I have no doubt he would do so. But I think that's a superficial way of looking at things. People here like to belittle Ground and suggest that Fedex's reputation has dropped. Let's say for a moment that is true. If Fred can maintain the IC model and more people like mark 111 bring more of a business mentality to the scene, the reputation goes up. Reputation goes up, route values go up. We are talking a whole new class of contractor that elevates the company, the contractor, the driver, and Fred. One of the biggest boosts to this theory is the poor economy making IC looking more lucrative. Only shame is that there are some like Ricochet who got screwed at Express and are looking for the exit door. He is exactly the type Ground should be and is looking to contract. Now if you can have all that and a great bottom line, why not. There is a bottom to wages to get this job done adequately and it certainly is not $29.00/hr plus benefits. Nor is it $3.50/hr.

And if I were a betting man, I would bet that Fred and I get what we want and Express doesn't unionize and the IC model is retained. Judging from past posts I would say most people can't stand that and yet deep in their gut the know it to be true.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I will say it again. Nothing promised, nothing stolen. If within the framework of the contract Fred can do that, then I have no doubt he would do so. But I think that's a superficial way of looking at things. People here like to belittle Ground and suggest that Fedex's reputation has dropped. Let's say for a moment that is true. If Fred can maintain the IC model and more people like mark 111 bring more of a business mentality to the scene, the reputation goes up. Reputation goes up, route values go up. We are talking a whole new class of contractor that elevates the company, the contractor, the driver, and Fred. One of the biggest boosts to this theory is the poor economy making IC looking more lucrative. Only shame is that there are some like Ricochet who got screwed at Express and are looking for the exit door. He is exactly the type Ground should be and is looking to contract. Now if you can have all that and a great bottom line, why not. There is a bottom to wages to get this job done adequately and it certainly is not $29.00/hr plus benefits. Nor is it $3.50/hr.

And if I were a betting man, I would bet that Fred and I get what we want and Express doesn't unionize and the IC model is retained. Judging from past posts I would say most people can't stand that and yet deep in their gut the know it to be true.

While I agree with you that someone like Mark111 would boost the fortunes of Ground, he's the owner, not the driver...just like you. Maybe his operation will provide superior service, but maybe not.

The problem with Ground isn't really with the multiple IC's...it's with the people they hire. You're right that in a down economy that Ground will attract a higher caliber of employee and owner than would usually be the case. That said, why is the average Ground driver such a punk? It's because the Ground model doesn't allow the IC to pay enough to attract truly competent people. If the economy was strong right now, most of your best Ground drivers would leave for greener pastures and you'd be left with the usual suspects. And the poor reputation of Ground gets perpetuated.

The same thing is happening at Express. Fred expects a premium employee, but he isn't willing to pay for one. What he's getting now isn't anywhere close to what he was getting 10 years ago. When the economy picks-up, the good people are getting out, and Freddy will have a bunch of Express employees just as incompetent as the Ground folks. The problem is that over at Express, there's a lot more job knowledge involved and a much tighter operations timeframe. It will get interesting for sure.

bbsam

Staff member
"All you people coming here sweating Fedex are nothing *** Fedex is a terrible greedy company. UPS is the future not Fedex." Slobberman had a lack of courage in sending this to me privately. I thought I would help him express himself to the community.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"All you people coming here sweating Fedex are nothing but *** Fedex is a terrible greedy company. UPS is the future not Fedex." Slobberman had a lack of courage in sending this to me privately. I thought I would help him express himself to the community.

Sad to see that ignorance still exists in 2009.