Shift The Emphasis

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Seemingly forever, the prevailing attitude with managers has been, "once it leaves the building, it's no longer my (the manager's) problem". WRONG. It is always their problem, even when it's on the road. You need to remember this, especially as they continue to overtask and under-compensate us for our work.

Never assume that it is entirely up to you to solve a problem they created. Shift the onus back onto them at every opportunity. They are paid to make good decisions, which they seldom do. You are NOT paid to make any decisions...you are there to deliver and pickup packages. Shift the emphasis back to where it belongs, from you...onto them.

hypo hanna

And it isn't the dispatchers job to solve those problems. He takes home less pay then most full time drivers. His job is to communicate the problem to the manager and then implement whatever plan they come up with.

!Retired!

And it isn't the dispatchers job to solve those problems. He takes home less pay then most full time drivers. His job is to communicate the problem to the manager and then implement whatever plan they come up with.
Only as a last resort will they contact management. Their job is to use whatever resources (cheapest way) available to get the pickups done. That could mean having a 'delivery courier' that's done help out. If the help needs to come from the station (another courier/truck going on the road), then that would be managements decision (on road hours get involved).

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

But the dispatcher has to actually find the manager first. These days, most dispatchers are de facto managers.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
My dispatcher is about 30 miles away from my sta. at a major dispatching "center".
Do you guys still have dispatchers in your sta.?

overflowed

Dispatch is at the ramp at mine and what happened to dispatch ride alongs? I feel they should somewhat understand the area they're dispatching.

hypo hanna

Our dispatchers are 4 hours away.

distance is one reason for less dispatcher check rides. The other is their mgmt has OT cut down to zero and they like it that way. If they send a dispatcher to the station for a day, they generally have to cover that position with overtime.