wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I've been perusing the forums for a while now and I keep reading that the P-sup position only seems worthwhile if you're IN college looking to get a degree. Here's the catch for me though: I already HAVE a BA in History. Which I can't find a job with so now I'm stuck here (and I hate wording it like that. I don't really feel "stuck" but it is frustrating that I am not able to do what I have dreamed of doing. UPS is second best though). So with all that in consideration, being that I WANT this to be my career since my degree isn't getting me anything, should I bite the bullet and continue with being a part-time handler and let the opportunities naturally come? Or should I go on and take the P-sup tests?
Drive

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Lexington, KY Hub. People say I've been a beast on PD-5 as a part-time handler so I'm assuming I'm doing a more than satisfactory job.
When I spoke of 'job performance', it was in relation to 'job performance as a P/T Supervisor.
There needs to be a specific skill set match or a perceived skill in management.
The most perceived need in management material at UPS is 'the ability to get things done through others' which is known euphemistically as "meet or beat your agreed upon goals".
Good luck on your decision ... but I leave you with this observation, people work 12 hour days at UPS for one reason - 'wages, benefits and pension'. Is that compatible with your life goals? Either as Union or Non-Union UPS employee.

CoolStoryBro

I've been perusing the forums for a while now and I keep reading that the P-sup position only seems worthwhile if you're IN college looking to get a degree.

What are you trying to accomplish? are you going to retire from UPS? Do you want a normal day job while working part time at UPS? I have never seen a part time supervisor go from part time to full time in my center. They all quit eventually.

When I was first hired my PT sup was constantly complaining about how life would be better if he stayed union. His wage would have been higher (he got a bump up when going PT sup but over time the union raises passed what he was making). He could have been a driver. He could have been an air driver. He could have been a shifter. He was miserable and finally quit when he realized how much time he wasted as a PT sup and there was zero chance of going full time.

How large is your building? what full time management opportunities are there? Once you go PT sup you cannot go back. You can always stay union and decide to go PT sup down the road. Going PT sup you may regret it and wish you were still hourly.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We've had a number of pt sups take the outside hire slot for driving after only a year or two, while the rest of us had to wait 5-6 years. It's not impossible to get back in once you go pt management, but you can't become a driver once you go ft management.

llamainmypocket

Best way to go anywhere is to become a driver first. While I don't recommend trying non union route. You're at least a full time sup if you go driver then on road. Part time sup is almost certainly a dead end job

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
you could be FT management pretty quickly with a degree, but you should really have an innate desire to want to manage other people

speaking of that, why not join the military and go Officer? your military history background is actually useful there