Sooooo how did you guys do it?

W

What The Hawk?

I lived with my parents when I was part time till i went full time.
Hope you don't mind me asking, how old were you? I'm a part-timer (preload/Air driver) hopefully will be full time in 6 months to a year and I still live with my folks.

W

What The Hawk?

Stocked shelves from midnight to 4 am at a local grocery store and delivered auto parts on the days that I wasn't driving.

It also helped that my ex was an RN that could support our family until I made FT.
You served also right? What branch? I know you've said before but I don't recall..but damn I had no idea you did that too!

MendozaJ

I had no life as a PTer, even with all the time on my hands because I couldn't afford to do anything. I had some savings to lean on, but that was slowly being chipped away to zero. From that experience, I learned how to better manage my money, control my impulses, and live on a tiny budget. Prior to this, I would have bought an iPhone X just because, and spend years paying it off with minimum payments. When I went FT, I was able to pay off my credit cards within six months.

This all happened because I created a plan. You have to outline your goals, week to week, month to month, year to year.

PB&J for dinner was no fun, but damn if those steaks don't taste great now.

crow27

i have zero problems doing the work its the 120 dollar a week check and schedule that sucks and sadly i dont have anyone to mooch off im pretty much living off of my savings right now. trying to get another part time job that can accommodate UPSes bs schedule. just to put things into perspective out of the 20-25 from orientation only 4 of us are left everyone els is new hires. this job would have been great when i was a teenager and didnt have to pay bills.

when companies like amazon and walmart are hiring and providing full benefits and starting people at 14.00 and hour its kind of hard to justify working for ups when they try their hardest to kick us out of the building before we hit the 5 hour mark usually around 3 OR 4 hours.
Amazon has a 6pm to 2 or 3am shift....I would work that and go preload at ups until I made cover driver

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I had a ton of money saved up from prior jobs, so I just took a gamble and lived very frugally for about the first two years until the driving finally stabilized. It was actually kinda nice only having to work four hours a day.

jaker

trolling
i have zero problems doing the work its the 120 dollar a week check and schedule that sucks and sadly i dont have anyone to mooch off im pretty much living off of my savings right now. trying to get another part time job that can accommodate UPSes bs schedule. just to put things into perspective out of the 20-25 from orientation only 4 of us are left everyone els is new hires. this job would have been great when i was a teenager and didnt have to pay bills.

when companies like amazon and walmart are hiring and providing full benefits and starting people at 14.00 and hour its kind of hard to justify working for ups when they try their hardest to kick us out of the building before we hit the 5 hour mark usually around 3 OR 4 hours.
I work PT for 4 years and raised two kids and we had our own place , when you want something better then you will find a way

I turned down numerous jobs that paid a lot more then I was making and what my wife made together , but I knew in the long run ups would be the better call and to this day 17 years later I don't regret doing that way

jalnar

We all started from the beginning,and looking back cant believe I made it. All full time drivers who retirer with 25 plus years should be financially well off. I repeat save every raise,use the 401k and live within your means AND YOU WILL BE WHAT THEY CALL AN AVERAGE MIDDLE INCOME MILLIONAIRE.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
We all started from the beginning,and looking back cant believe I made it. All full time drivers who retirer with 25 plus years should be financially well off. I repeat save every raise,use the 401k and live within your means AND YOU WILL BE WHAT THEY CALL AN AVERAGE MIDDLE INCOME MILLIONAIRE.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Why does your building sound like such a :censored2:tily ran operation? Couldn’t be as bad as 2013.
Define “operation”. In order to have an operation, one must assume that the groundwork for cooperation and planning has been set in place. Here, that is not the case, we are running something close to nomadic camel herding.

watdaflock?

making around 110 a week working at ups starting at what seems like a different time everyday. everyone i talk to is already looking for a new job or thinking of just quitting. ups sounded great before i joined the people at HR are great at selling it but once you are actually working and not making any money how do they manage to keep people?

You sound frustrated. Thankfully, you may quit anytime since you're not being forced to work at UPS.

Hope this helps.

btw thats exactly how HR was selling it. you get great benefits! paid vacation/holidays some of our workers are getting paid 30 dollars an hour lol. what they didnt say was that it takes over 3 months just to get in the union and you dont get anything untill after a year of working while making 120 a week and those guys making 30 dollars an hour have been working for over 20 years.

Welcome to the real world, small grasshopper.