St. Louis (Earth City Mo.) Appointment With HR For Feeder Driver Position

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Your start work and finish work time is also unpaid, but, if you wash and fuel it's paid at 1.5x. breakdowns and delays are also paid.

The 2 hours on the longest destination also resets every time you go back through your home domicile. We have runs that are 600 out and back 2-4 consecutive days and you give them 2 hours every day because you go back through your domicile on the return trip. You do get paid to wash and fuel, so that is a way to at least get 40 minutes pay back if your wait is under 2 hours.

ltl

Why in the world would anyone want to work 70 hours
Your start work and finish work time is also unpaid, but, if you wash and fuel it's paid at 1.5x. breakdowns and delays are also paid.

The 2 hours on the longest destination also resets every time you go back through your home domicile. We have runs that are 600 out and back 2-4 consecutive days and you give them 2 hours every day because you go back through your domicile on the return trip. You do get paid to wash and fuel, so that is a way to at least get 40 minutes pay back if your wait is under 2 hours.

Thanks for the information. When you say "start and finish" time does that mean finding your trailers, converter dolly, hooking, putting trailers in doors and pretriping/posttripping?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Thanks for the information. When you say "start and finish" time does that mean finding your trailers, converter dolly, hooking, putting trailers in doors and pretriping/posttripping?

For start work you pre-trip tractor, couple and pretrip to a single or set all for free.

If you have to build a set, all that time is paid. You also have a departure time, if they are still loading your trailer the minute you are late departing you start getting paid for late sort. If you wait for a trailer to arrive you would be paid delay time for all time after your departure time.

Finish work we are paid 1.5x to wash and fuel. I've never been forced to break down a set, but that time would be paid if necessary. The time you spend waiting at the guard shack and post tripping is all unpaid.

ltl

For start work you pre-trip tractor, couple and pretrip to a single or set all for free.

If you have to build a set, all that time is paid. You also have a departure time, if they are still loading your trailer the minute you are late departing you start getting paid for late sort. If you wait for a trailer to arrive you would be paid delay time for all time after your departure time.

Finish work we are paid 1.5x to wash and fuel. I've never been forced to break down a set, but that time would be paid if necessary. The time you spend waiting at the guard shack and post tripping is all unpaid.

I really appreciate all the details you and everyone have provided. It is nice getting a lay of the land before jumping in.

ltl

Hey all. I went to the interview. I was told I could work seasonal, but that full time permanent feeder/sleeper team hiring was suspended due to covid-19.

HR claimed in August/September hiring for permanent feeder/sleeper teams will resume (22 drivers 11 teams), and several drivers with retirement dates. However, the positions will be filled by seasonal drivers first, and then by hiring off the street. (The folks who showed up for seasonal jobs did not appear to be UPS material, but that's not for me to decide)

"The best way to get on permanent is to work seasonal with us", HR said.

I'm taking a hard pass on the seasonal job-sounds like good way to go from $90,000 to $0 in 3 months.

I will keep a close eye on UPS job listings. If they start up permanent hiring again I will be first in line.

If anyone has any information on when they may start hiring I would appreciate it.

Thanks all for the information.

Johney

Hey all. I went to the interview. I was told I could work seasonal, but that full time permanent feeder/sleeper team hiring was suspended due to covid-19.

HR claimed in August/September hiring for permanent feeder/sleeper teams will resume (22 drivers 11 teams), and several drivers with retirement dates. However, the positions will be filled by seasonal drivers first, and then by hiring off the street. (The folks who showed up for seasonal jobs did not appear to be UPS material, but that's not for me to decide)

I'm taking a hard pass on the seasonal job-sounds like good way to go from $90,000 to $0 in 3 months.

I will keep a close eye on UPS job listings. If they start up permanent hiring again I will be first in line.

If anyone has any information on when they may start hiring I would appreciate it.

Wise choice.

Blackbeauty7123

They suspended some runs at my center, some guys are hoping they put them back on in the next month or so, a lot of on call drivers sitting at home making $0 praying for things to pick up or vacation coverage. But that sounds pretty accurate what HR said which is rare. Good choice on the “seasonal” position. The volume in feeders overall has been very slow due to Covid-19 so you most likely would have ended up making nada as well. Good luck to ya!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hello all,

I have spent hours reading the online contract and Local 688 rider as well as searching posts in this forum for answers to my questions and concerns. (I currently have a $90,000 a year bid run LTL job. However, I have another 25 years to work, and the driver cameras are wearing on me although I am not getting written up over them).

It appears Earth City Parcel is hiring full time permanent Feeder Drivers off the street, so I applied.

The forums have been very helpful with revealing the "bait and switch" ads, stringing folks along to keep them from working enough to get seniority (seems to be a small terminal thing?) ETC.

It would be very much appreciate if I could get any information about this situation - especially from someone in that terminal.

Living on $21 an hour working only forty hours a week is doable IF there are no games and I get the opportunity to work enough to reach seniority. I'm playing the long game with an eye to retirement, health insurance and reaching top pay. I don't mind being the low man again.

How is it that UPS has enough business to hire off the street for such a great job when some companies are laying drivers off or leaving them at home? Perhaps it is the nature of Parcel VS Freight?

Thank you all.
Include the benefits in your decision. Does you job now have a pension and good medical? The pension alone is worth plenty.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They suspended some runs at my center, some guys are hoping they put them back on in the next month or so, a lot of on call drivers sitting at home making $0 praying for things to pick up or vacation coverage. But that sounds pretty accurate what HR said which is rare. Good choice on the “seasonal” position. The volume in feeders overall has been very slow due to Covid-19 so you most likely would have ended up making nada as well. Good luck to ya!
I guess things are different everywhere because around here volume is pushing peak levels and everyone is working.

ltl

Include the benefits in your decision. Does you job now have a pension and good medical? The pension alone is worth plenty.

I totally agree. That is one reason (pension, healthcare) I am interested in UPS. I am not concerned about the bring home money right now. I am very frugal and can live on $0 income for quite some time.

I'm in the UPS job hunt for the long term pay off. The only issue with taking seasonal is there is no guarantee of permanent employment. If UPS decides not to add sleeper teams, folks don't retire, or someone doesn't like something about me I have no job.

My current job has pretty good insurance and a non matching 401k (they did match a small amount until a few weeks ago). UPS benefits are at least twice as good-probably 3 times as good as what I have.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I totally agree. That is one reason (pension, healthcare) I am interested in UPS. I am not concerned about the bring home money right now. I am very frugal and can live on $0 income for quite some time.

I'm in the UPS job hunt for the long term pay off. The only issue with taking seasonal is there is no guarantee of permanent employment. If UPS decides not to add sleeper teams, folks don't retire, or someone doesn't like something about me I have no job.

My current job has pretty good insurance and a non matching 401k (they did match a small amount until a few weeks ago). UPS benefits are at least twice as good-probably 3 times as good as what I have.
I would not apply for seasonal but permanent. They always hire off the street.

The pension alone would cost you a small fortune if you had to accumulate that much in a private plan.

ManInBrown

Told you. They don’t hand these jobs out on Day 1. There is no need to. They can run you thru the mill for 6 months before hiring permanent. Why hand it to someone day 1?

I know Jones said he’s seen it. You would be very lucky to find a location doing that. They would have to be very desperate. It’s just not the type of place where they hand these jobs out like candy.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Told you. They don’t hand these jobs out on Day 1. There is no need to. They can run you thru the mill for 6 months before hiring permanent. Why hand it to someone day 1?

I know Jones said he’s seen it. You would be very lucky to find a location doing that. They would have to be very desperate. It’s just not the type of place where they hand these jobs out like candy.

unless you know the right people

seen it happen more than once