St. Louis (Earth City Mo.) Appointment With HR For Feeder Driver Position

ManInBrown

Usually, when they hire someone as seasonal, they string em along as seasonal for a few years. They know they are dumb/desperate enough to keep doing it
Exactly. Nice to meet you Joe. Well you start tomorrow and here’s the keys to your $130K a year job. No it doesn’t work like that.

ltl

Told you. They don’t hand these jobs out on Day 1. There is no need to. They can run you thru the mill for 6 months before hiring permanent. Why hand it to someone day 1?

I know Jones said he’s seen it. You would be very lucky to find a location doing that. They would have to be very desperate. It’s just not the type of place where they hand these jobs out like candy.

I agree-no argument here about being lucky to get hired permanent off the street. I do know they hired permanent off the street a month ago before suspending additions to team runs. HR said they will street hire again if seasonal folks arent who they want to hire.

I would get put through the.wringer for 6 months if I knew it meant getting permanent. I just don't want the risk of having no job/no benefits.

Hopefully I get lucky.

ManInBrown

I would get put through the.wringer for 6 months if I knew it meant getting permanent. I just don't want the risk of having no job/no benefits.

Hopefully I get lucky.
But that’s not the way it works. They don’t say hey we are going to put you thru the wringer for 6 months but don’t worry you’re in. They put you thru the wringer and maybe if they like you, they keep you. Where I am we have the same seasonal drivers coming back year after year. They hire a couple permanent after every peak.

ltl

But that’s not the way it works. They don’t say hey we are going to put you thru the wringer for 6 months but don’t worry you’re in. They put you thru the wringer and maybe if they like you, they keep you. Where I am we have the same seasonal drivers coming back year after year. They hire a couple permanent after every peak.

I've worked with and known folks who have told me the same story. Routine of stringing along.

I have no problem believing that. It seems the only difference now is the crossroads of needing sleeper teams and retirees coming.

I'm not expecting it to happen, but if I can get hired permanent off the street I want be knowledgable and aware of the situation. However, I hope to never take a job out of desperation.

ManInBrown

Good luck. There is no shortcut to getting this job. If there was, Swift and Duie Pyle and all the other sheet trucking jobs would not have drivers.

ltl

Good luck. There is no shortcut to getting this job. If there was, Swift and Duie Pyle and all the other sheet trucking jobs would not have drivers.

Thanks. I appreciate it. If/when I come up with anything new I will get back with you guys.

ltl

Exactly. Nice to meet you Joe. Well you start tomorrow and here’s the keys to your $130K a year job. No it doesn’t work like that.

I do want everyone to know I am aware of how good the job is, and appreciate the things folks like yourselves have gone through to get a feeder position. I fully respect that, and if given the opportunity would be tickled :censored2:less just to be in the door at the bottom.

Last edited:

Blackbeauty7123

I guess things are different everywhere because around here volume is pushing peak levels and everyone is working.

That’s true, but overall it’s low across the country. Loads weren’t generating and they were sending guys with empties so instead of wasting the fuel they suspended routes altogether.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
That’s true, but overall it’s low across the country. Loads weren’t generating and they were sending guys with empties so instead of wasting the fuel they suspended routes altogether.
They laid off 20 drivers a few weeks ago here. The following week, they brought 10 back. The week after that, the other 10 were back.

quad decade guy

Include the benefits in your decision. Does you job now have a pension and good medical? The pension alone is worth plenty.

Not if you are too old to realistically retire. Getting a feeder job being anything over 30(yo)(as a new hire), I wouldn't count on. I would love to count on my retirement but I've made the decision to work(at 57 yo) at my current rate and sleeper run and realistically make $1.5 mil(next 10 yrs)(retire 67 yo). Free insurance and all the other bennies. I hope my pension is there, my gut tells me probably not. UPS as anything recognizable? No. I think we could just as easily wake up soon one day, and UPS has been bought by Amazon or who knows? No Union, pension nuthin.

ltl

Not if you are too old to realistically retire. Getting a feeder job being anything over 30(yo)(as a new hire), I wouldn't count on. I would love to count on my retirement but I've made the decision to work(at 57 yo) at my current rate and sleeper run and realistically make $1.5 mil(next 10 yrs)(retire 67 yo). Free insurance and all the other bennies. I hope my pension is there, my gut tells me probably not. UPS as anything recognizable? No. I think we could just as easily wake up soon one day, and UPS has been bought by Amazon or who knows? No Union, pension nuthin.

I am 45 and assume I will work to at least 70. Retiring at 65 is not even a consideration as I assume social security will be eaten up by inflation. If I am fortunate enough to get on at UPS I will be maxing out my 401k there like I am now.

quad decade guy

I am 45 and assume I will work to at least 70. Retiring at 65 is not even a consideration as I assume social security will be eaten up by inflation. If I am fortunate enough to get on at UPS I will be maxing out my 401k there like I am now.

Ok, cool. For now, your pension would be $2500(assuming 25 and out) before taxes(at least here). Again, I'd plan on basically nothing and hope for the best. Remember, we have UPS'ers(Teamsters basically)(as I understand it) getting a fraction of what they were promised. I would be scared to death to count on any 401K as my retirement. Just looking at the last couple months....

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

so, your going for 50 years?

yoy must have miserable life seriously

WannaBeFeeder

45 making 90k a year ? Just ride off into the sunset. Become a feeder you won’t have a life and by the time you get near the top as far as seniority you’ll be retiring. If u needed a change financially I’d say go for it