Stand your ground

Siveriano

So this happened on my center yesterday (this was totally not me I swear).

A driver after the PCM went to get his call tags and HVs when he came back to the truck the building manager was waiting for him and asked him.

Manager : what is holding you up?
Driver: I was getting my call tags and Hvs.
Manager: that's part of being ready for work.
Driver: I'm getting pay to get them as they are part of my work, you can go ahead and call the union if you want to.
Manager: you don't work for the union, you work for me, so I decide when I call the union or no.
Driver: ok I work for you so im gonna tell you this I AM NOT GOING TO WORK FOR FREE, ILL GET MY CALL TAGS AND HVs WHEN I'M ON THE CLOCK, also I feel like this conversation is going to end in me being discipline so im requesting my union rep if you want to continue this.
Manager: you don't have the right to a union rep.

From this point on the manager kept asking him question to which the driver only answer was SHOP STEWARD, eventually the manager just moved aside and let the driver go.

This morning the big union guys showed up, and we were just laughing about this.

While this is funny is kinda sad to just imagine how many drivers will have accepted that they have to work for free just cuz someone with a tittle told them to.

I understand that is better to keep your head down but i really rather that they know my name as the guy who will stand by the book and won’t be intimidated.

sandwich

The resident gearhead

A driver after the PCM went to get his call tags and HVs when he came back to the truck the building manager was waiting for him and asked him.

Driver: I'm getting pay to get them as they are part of my work, you can go ahead and call the union if you want to.
Manager: you don't work for the union, you work for me, so I decide when I call the union or no.
Driver: ok I work for you so im gonna tell you this I AM NOT GOING TO WORK FOR FREE, ILL GET MY CALL TAGS AND HVs WHEN I'M ON THE CLOCK, also I feel like this conversation is going to end in me being discipline so im requesting my union rep if you want to continue this.

From this point on the manager kept asking him question to which the driver only answer was SHOP STEWARD, eventually the manager just moved aside and let the driver go.

This morning the big union guys showed up, and we were just laughing about this.

While this is funny is kinda sad to just imagine how many drivers will have accepted that they have to work for free just cuz someone with a tittle told them to.

I understand that is better to keep your head down but i really rather that they know my name as the guy who will stand by the book and won’t be intimidated.
He should have followed up with "now I'm too stressed to run my route today"

WTFm8

Get other drivers to just clock in and not get call tags either.

BONUS: Don’t download EDD either until start time either... then have all the DIADS beeping at the PCM. Then you have to accept and wait for the ‘warning’ message, then accept again to get to the main screen.

Easily add 5-10 minutes to the morning cause the system will really slow down from getting hammered all at once.

Grey

Imagine how unhappy that managers drive to work is with that mindset everyday. We have them too.

GenericUsername

I had an altercation happen yesterday ultimately resulting in me telling my center manager and lead steward that I will not step foot onto property until start time. I'll be waiting on the sidewalk next to the guard shack this morning to put a foot onto UPS property. I already have my blue paper ready for a harassment grievance if they so much as say anything about me being late. They made their own bed, now they can deal with it.

Zowert

I was slightly harassed once basically for doing a tier 3 quiz on the clock. I waited til I punched in to do it, preload was done early and we could roll out but they wanted the quizzes turned in before we left. So I sat there by my truck and did it. A manager (not a supe) came up to me and scolded me for not having my quiz done earlier. I said, “Sorry but I’m not on the clock until 0845.” He rolled his eyes and said, “So? What’s your point?!” I told him I wasn’t going to work off the clock. “Oh god” he said and walked off.

Do they work for free? I don’t think so.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I was slightly harassed once basically for doing a tier 3 quiz on the clock. I waited til I punched in to do it, preload was done early and we could roll out but they wanted the quizzes turned in before we left. So I sat there by my truck and did it. A manager (not a supe) came up to me and scolded me for not having my quiz done earlier. I said, “Sorry but I’m not on the clock until 0845.” He rolled his eyes and said, “So? What’s your point?!” I told him I wasn’t going to work off the clock. “Oh god” he said and walked off.

Do they work for free? I don’t think so.
Every other day they are handing these idiotic things out here and every other day I keep telling the newer drivers to stop filling them out before start time. Then inevitably, I get the response, "why?"

KOG72

I’m full of it
Every other day they are handing these idiotic things out here and every other day I keep telling the newer drivers to stop filling them out before start time. Then inevitably, I get the response, "why?"
Same thing here I tell them that I am not working for free and most of the time I do not even fill that crap out.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Same thing here I tell them that I am not working for free and most of the time I do not even fill that crap out.
In all seriousness, these things are not stopping wrecks. They might even be making people MORE paranoid about their driving. Stop wasting paper!!! They are not an official UPS document so why bother handing them out we don't have to fill them out.
I look at it like if you fill one of these stupid quizzes out and then days, months, years down the road something happens they can pull these out and say, "hey look Jimmy Jim Bob said that they wouldn't follow close or they would slow down and now they had this wreck."

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
They do this everywhere even in feeder. most drivers would put their gear and hook up radio in tractor BEFORE they punched in. I wouldn't so I was almost always over-allowed on the SW and was called onto the carpet MANY times on that.

I asked the manager what if i slipped on the step or otherwise got hurt doing work around the tractor while off the clock? would I get workman's comp?

no I wouldn't . if fact you would possibly get fired.

it took awhile , but they got tired of harassing me when they found out it wasn't going to work. It's best to stand your ground every time.

MattM

Our center manager finally gave in a touch.

There's a difference between not showing up ready (like having to switch your boots out or even to tie your shoes) and prepping each day with on the job duties and activities.

They used to get on use for going up stairs on the clock to grab a new vest or pair of ear plugs. They called into question our preparedness. Like when are we supposed to grab essential work items? Should I be going up stairs off the clock?

A lot of guys were taking 5-10 minutes to tie their shoes , go to their lockers, and stretch, while on the clock. So I can see where they are coming from. You can't lump all of that non work stuff together though.