STEWARD ELECTIONS...FINALLY!?????

Ouch

Im not wanting to start an argument. We are all adults. Havd you been to the hall to voice your opinions to the elected officials? Are your buddies in the hub feeding you news about what is going on at the local? I can truly understand the concern about communication. No better way to get info except from the horses mouth, straight from the elected officials. Maybe im missing something but what im getting is, they have been in 2 days and have not held a steward election. Do you want to run for steward? Do yourself a favor, go to the hall, spend a little time with the elected officials, learn their gameplan. If they tell you their gameplan to your face then dont follow thru, you have a legitimate complaint then. It takes two to communicate. Dont be so quick to be done with them. Deep breath and get to know what their goals are. Voice your opinion to them about communication.

twoweeled

So, United Action is on the job here at the 251. The masses are on the hunt for all of that "change" they've promised. You know, the platform they ran on? We all had to endure the leaflets, the handouts, the crowds bombarding you as you're walking into the building. The insessant yammering on about how awful the Membership Slate was. So, two days in and let's see how they're doing with holding up their end of the bargain. Well, WE were told (via their website) that WE would now have a voice in shaping the "new union". That WE should have the RIGHT to vote for our stewards. And have they lived up to their words? NEGATIVE! My stewards have been appointed, just as they were with the Membership Slate. "But you said that WE should have the right to ELECT stewards". Was that just the first of the lies and empty promises? Has anyone from the 251 received a ballot? No, we had to learn through the grapevine exactly who would be representing us. Is this OK with you? Are you good with the immediate deception? They speak of backroom deals...is this not one of them? Be afraid people...be very afraid. The hailstorm is coming and WE will suffer because of it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

We are hoping to elect ours too! I don't have much faith it's going to happen, but I'm waiting to see still.

badseed290

Again I'm not in a panic, believe me. And my thoughts are my own. I look at it like this. I like Oreo cookies. I don't know exactly how they're made, but I like them. If I happen to eat one and it doesn't agree with me, am I not allowed to to voice my opinion? Believe it or not, you've all been very helpful. I appreciate that. You've given me food for thought. My goal was to gather information. I would say that this has been a success.

via BadSeed290

twoweeled

Again I'm not in a panic, believe me. And my thoughts are my own. I look at it like this. I like Oreo cookies. I don't know exactly how they're made, but I like them. If I happen to eat one and it doesn't agree with me, am I not allowed to to voice my opinion? Believe it or not, you've all been very helpful. I appreciate that. You've given me food for thought. My goal was to gather information. I would say that this has been a success.

via BadSeed290

I believe Union members at all levels, read these post. and it's important for them (union officials) to realize, voting for our stewards is important to us. appointing stewards may be more convenient for the local, but it's not they way we want it. is it?

badseed290

@twowheeled; thank you for chiming in. I know I'm not the only person out here who has similar thoughts. The way I see it is "if people think it and don't speak it...nothing will get done". All we can do is sit and wait. I understood at the onset of my post that people would be critical because it's only been 2-days. What's great about the forum is that people from both sides of the fence can have a discussion cloaked in anonimity. No threat of retaliation etc. Put the topic out there and see where it leads. Maybe someone will say something and move you away from your position, getting you to think in a different way. Success all around.

via BadSeed290

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Back up. I'm not looking to behead anyone. It was explained to me by Piedmont how the process works as he sees it. Made sense to me. So the process of this discussion on the surface was successful. You have a member that is not happy with the roll out (ie ME). I'm not hiding that. What have I accused UA of? Falling short? Guilty as charged. Listen, I was as critical of the old administration as I am of this one. Two days...don't care. They had lead time. Take advantage of it. Get the word out. Don't rely on the "grapevine". Don't rely on the "yes men". Execution is a big thing. I'm not so jaded where I think 2-days in and the leadership is a failure. I have a problem with the rollout and the lack of communication regarding stewards. Oh no...I was critical of the new guys...holy @$#&...not that!

via BadSeed290

I saw some of the spillover of the 251 election on these boards and elsewhere and that :censored2: was nasty. Quite frankly, I didn't like a lot of things that the UA slate put out because I generally hate the way we (as Teamsters) play politics. That being said, the election was contested until a day or two before Christmas when the joint council in NE ruled in favor of the UA slate. The way the Membership slate was fighting, tool and nail, leads me to believe the transition has been anything but seamless; hell, they haven't even taken B' face off the front page of the local's website yet. They've only gotten the keys to the hall this week and probably haven't even had a membership meeting yet -- they wouldn't even be able to get a notice regarding appointment of stewards mailed out to the members in the time frame you gave.

I respect you being involved and holding your new e-board accountable but give them a chance.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Listen, I was as critical of the old administration as I am of this one. Two days...don't care. They had lead time. Take advantage of it. Get the word out. Don't rely on the "grapevine". Don't rely on the "yes men". Execution is a big thing. I'm not so jaded where I think 2-days in and the leadership is a failure. I have a problem with the rollout and the lack of communication regarding stewards. Oh no...I was critical of the new guys...holy @$#&...not that!

Are you this aggressive with your Local management.... in defending your rights ??

Have you been to the hall to voice your opinions to the elected officials? Doubtful... Are your buddies in the hub feeding you news about what is going on at the local?
Absolutely...

Believe it or not, you've all been very helpful. I appreciate that. You've given me food for thought. My goal was to gather information. I would say that this has been a success.

It should be.

But, if your only intention was to fire off at your local Union....

Buckel up, buttercup.

Wait for what ??

Don't be a part of the problem.... involve yourself in the solution.

[quote="PiedmontSteward, post: 1251230, member: 42270"]I saw some of the spillover of the 251 election on these boards and elsewhere and that :censored: was nasty. Quite frankly, I didn't like a lot of things that the UA slate put out because I generally hate the way we (as Teamsters) play politics. That being said, the election was contested until a day or two before Christmas when the joint council in NE ruled in favor of the UA slate. The way the Membership slate was fighting, tool and nail, leads me to believe the transition has been anything but seamless; heck, they haven't even taken B' face off the front page of the local's website yet. They've only gotten the keys to the hall this week and probably haven't even had a membership meeting yet -- they wouldn't even be able to get a notice regarding appointment of stewards mailed out to the members in the time frame you gave.

I respect you for [B][I]finally [/I][/B]getting involved and holding your new e-board accountable but give them a chance.[/quote]

Lets see what happens.

-Bug-

badseed290

You guys got me...I'm just spewing out talking points from our handbook "How to Piss Off the UA in One Simple Step". Seriously, don't like what I have to say or the questions I'm asking...move on. I'm obviously insanely uninformed and well below your level of intelligence. I'm astounded that I have enough brain power to sustain my existence. I bow to your superiority.

via BadSeed290

Ouch

Badseed I dont think anyone is questioning your intelligence, just the way you went about showing it. The way you went about it. 2 days in office and your ready to kick them all out. Relax and get involved in your local. You started a rant and you should have used your intelligence to expect the responces you got. Not happy with them? Only you can change it. Get your buddies together and work on positive changes. Its all up to you and the members of your local. Just because you get answers you dont like dont come across as im taking my ball and going home.

badseed290

This isnt a "taking my ball and going home" situation. The UA had since the beginning of November to put a transition plan into action, talking exclusively on the steward aspect. If the UA had communicated or signaled their intentions, I never would've put a post together. They had two months to establish a game plan and put it out there for the membership to see. Per the UA handouts, they were tired of the backroom deals. So why under the cover of darkness do they appoint stewards? Why is it that the membership has to learn through word of mouth who their steward would be? This is my problem with the whole thing. Not one person from the newly elected leadership slate made this known. Now they've opened themselves up to criticism. I get the fact that they've been on the job for 2-days. I'm not, and I've said this before, I'm not looking to throw them out! They fought for their chance to lead so let's see where they take it...right? That being said, why do I need a doctorate in Local 251 before I criticize the roll out? I have a problem with the way it was executed. Am I sold on the slate? No. Am I open minded enough to accept change? Yes. But that doesn't matter because I'm pegged as a lackey for the Membership Slate as opposed to someone with questions. Acting on information that was put out there by the UA. "PiedmontSteward" gave me a clear answer which I accepted as being valid enough in order for me to move forward. It doesn't change the fact that stewards were thrust upon the membership without prior explanation. But it clarifies the process "if" the UA makes good on the "right to elect" platform.

via BadSeed290

Ouch

I see why you would be upset. I see where criticism would be thrust upon them. What I dont see is why you would come on here to criticize them and not at the local face to face. Just relax im not trying to jump on you. Do I agree you have some valid points, yes. Do I agree with you coming on here to criticize before you went to them face to face, no. Hang in their and do what you can to make a difference.

smells like godzilla

2 days in office and your BA for package car has been to the building 3 times including 5:30am in a snowstorm and on a Saturday morning. Ask him first for some info.
Since the old regime was adamant that they weren't leaving office up until about two weeks ago, do you really think this was a smooth transition?
Your stewards elections will happen. The by laws call for appointed stewards, but the new slate will have elections.
Some old stewards stayed on, some were hostile and resigned. This is a process. Instead of spouting, get involved.

Sent using BrownCafe App

badseed290

This is a two way street. As much as I'm being told to relax and wait for them to gain traction, I think I should be afforded the same. I see change that initially, does not adhere to their selling points. I have every right to be concerned. As far as choosing this forum to voice my concern, isn't that what its for? And my BA...did I insinuate he was not making appearances? Again, let's bring this back to my original rant. A rant in which I've toned down BECAUSE of this forum. So...yet again...thank you guys for the information. Like I said before, its been most helpful.

via BadSeed290

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
@PiedmontSteward: My bone of contention is the lack of communication. We are dealing with a top down overhaul. People are cautious. If this is an interim appointment then I'm fine with that. But it must be communicated as such. Like I said, they've killed more trees than one can count leading up to this event. And it's not like January 1st was a surprise. Instead of capitilizing on the moment and hit the ground running, they choose a mediocre start at best.

via BadSeed290
Did you call the hall and ask anyone about your concerns? Communication is a two way street.

You know me...
So, United Action is on the job here at the 251. The masses are on the hunt for all of that "change" they've promised. You know, the platform they ran on? We all had to endure the leaflets, the handouts, the crowds bombarding you as you're walking into the building. The insessant yammering on about how awful the Membership Slate was. So, two days in and let's see how they're doing with holding up their end of the bargain. Well, WE were told (via their website) that WE would now have a voice in shaping the "new union". That WE should have the RIGHT to vote for our stewards. And have they lived up to their words? NEGATIVE! My stewards have been appointed, just as they were with the Membership Slate. "But you said that WE should have the right to ELECT stewards". Was that just the first of the lies and empty promises? Has anyone from the 251 received a ballot? No, we had to learn through the grapevine exactly who would be representing us. Is this OK with you? Are you good with the immediate deception? They speak of backroom deals...is this not one of them? Be afraid people...be very afraid. The hailstorm is coming and WE will suffer because of it.

Sent using BrownCafe App
View attachment 10829

We had a vote last year to change the Bylaws to require Elected Stewards. We won the Majority, but did not pass the two-thirds majority required by the very bylaws we attempted to amend. The vote to elect Stewards failed. Surely you remember this...But if you don't, let me put it in terms that may jog your memory. Remember last winter when Jojo told you to vote NO on the thing you didn't read? Yeah, that was it. Now your stewards are appointed, just like you voted for.

Crow: It's whats for Dinner.

Ouch

This is a two way street. As much as I'm being told to relax and wait for them to gain traction, I think I should be afforded the same. I see change that initially, does not adhere to their selling points. I have every right to be concerned. As far as choosing this forum to voice my concern, isn't that what its for? And my BA...did I insinuate he was not making appearances? Again, let's bring this back to my original rant. A rant in which I've toned down BECAUSE of this forum. So...yet again...thank you guys for the information. Like I said before, its been most helpful.

via BadSeed290
Okay badseed you got a question about voting for the bylaw changes?

hartford ogs

wow, i think we found stink, aka, badseed290. There is gonna be stewards elections, its only been a couple off weeks, giving them a break. As for you badseed290, AKA stink are you feeling lonely because your not involved? Not a big shot no more. You are the most negative person on this site, funny you beat these guys down, but then call some of them on the phone, lol ,, you really need to figure out your priorities because you are all over the place with this.

buster401

Can I just say something, if your not gonna be part of the solution to get back our local back on top where it belongs then shut the friend##k up and don't be part of the problem. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Sent using BrownCafe App