Strike in August, what say you?

twoweeled

Already seeing management playing nice in my work area. You can tell it is a contract year and they have been told to pretend to care about us.

Already hearing little hints of what might be the huge concession Hoffa and UPS might have in store for us. Likely it is already agreed upon. I have not heard anything concrete, but rather an attitude change by my Local's leadership about weekend work...:angry:

Most contact negotiations you can tell what are the BS proposals that the Union will make a big show about standing firm against. All the while they know it is a BS company proposal that is hyped up to show how the Union leadership "stood firm".

I am not getting that vibe about the rolling 7 day week.:angry:

This would be a HUGE concession!

If this is the concession they want us to swallow, they better be offering huge pension funding increases in return. Something on the order of guaranteed 100% funding of the pensions.
Naw, if it's really a huge concession, then they are leaking it out so when it's less than that - WE'RE ALL TICKLE PINK!! they do it every freakin time.
Hypothetical example: It's leaked the company wants us to pay "all" our medical. Then it turns out the company just wants us to pay $10 a month! "WE SURE DODGED THAT BULLET"!!! No, we just got suckered and screwed.
Things don't leak out at UPS, unless UPS wants them to leak out.
Remember that one.
By the way, I get the sense your well aware of this. I'm saying it for others. It's just a matter of time till they want you to start paying some of your health benefits. It's coming. It's just a matter of when. It'll start real small, then increase regularly.

twoweeled

Im not happy about him being in office.
Politics aside. I just can't imagine anyone saying with sincerity and confidence; "Wow, Hoffa is really doing a damn good job for us! UPS can't mess with him! "
I don't get it!
headscratcher.jpg

35years

Gravy route
A strike would not benefit me or my family. If there were a strike, I would be forced into management to retain my employment.
You do realize we have gone on strike several times and always come back?

Going to FedEx or into management would be flushing your pension down the drain. That Western pension is equivalent to more than 1 million in accumulated savings when you have your years in.

Any strike would likely be short. Even if they hired you into management it is a tenuous position at best. Perhaps 1 of 10 on road supervisors make it to retirement.

Save now to have a buffer.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
On light days we would raid the surepost and "misload" a few pieces for 2 people that wanted them. I am not sure what I got myself into doing it but the proximity of some pieces from stops loaded for a day are ridiculously close. 2 Stops on the same street corner got split UPS/Post office today.
Yep.... I found many businesses stops going to the post office... I tried calling mgt out on it but they said that was ok...I disappeared into feeder shortly after

You do realize we have gone on strike several times and always come back?

Going to FedEx or into management would be flushing your pension down the drain. That Western pension is equivalent to more than 1 million in accumulated savings when you have your years in.

Any strike would likely be short. Even if they hired you into management it is a tenuous position at best. Perhaps 1 of 10 on road supervisors make it to retirement.

Save now to have a buffer.
I am not in my 20’s like I was in ‘97. The $300 a week from the strike fund was almost a raise for me. I have have many jobs at ups over the decades, mgmt and non mgmt. but a strike would, in fact, lay me off indefinitely.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I am not in my 20’s like I was in ‘97. The $300 a week from the strike fund was almost a raise for me. I have have many jobs at ups over the decades, mgmt and non mgmt. but a strike would, in fact, lay me off indefinitely.
I did not think you were serious. You have worked for decades and you don't have enough seniority that a strike would lay you off indefinitely? UPS could lose half their volume and somebody with almost 30 years in would have a truck full the day after a strike.

Last edited:

BrownFlush

A strike would not benefit me or my family. If there were a strike, I would be forced into management to retain my employment.
Thus the science behind a strike. Short term discomfort, with long term benefits. No ones family enjoys it, but everyone is feeling the same pain.
Going into management especially when you are on strike, speaks volumes where your mindset and conviction are. We are not left to wonder why organized labor is weak.

Last edited:

I did not think you were serious. You have worked for decades and you don't have enough seniority that a strike would lay you off indefinitely? UPS could lose half their volume and somebody with almost 30 years in would have a truck full the day after a strike.
Transfer...at the bottom of seniority
Thus the science behind a strike. Short term discomfort, with long term benefits. No ones family enjoys it, but everyone is feeling the same pain.
Going into management especially when you are on strike, speaks volumes where your mindset and conviction are. We are not left to wonder why organized labor is weak.
The people that don’t work again don’t get any benefits. Therefore everyone is not feeling the same pain. Going into mgmt. (which I highly doubt I would do) would be after a strike if there is no chance of working again.

What would you do if 15-20 drivers above you are all laid off for months, maybe years?

BrownFlush

Transfer...at the bottom of seniority

The people that don’t work again don’t get any benefits. Therefore everyone is not feeling the same pain. Going into mgmt. (which I highly doubt I would do) would be after a strike if there is no chance of working again.
What would you do if 15-20 drivers above you are all laid off for months, maybe years?
During a strike, everyone does feel the same pain. After a strike everyone benefits the same.
The 15-20 laid off seems unlikely and if it did come true that it was that many, it would not be for long.
MGT, FedX , SDS (Scab Delivery Service ) the choice would all be the same.

twoweeled

Or that there would be an opening after a strike. Should I start looking at fedex? Because a no vote will end my employment. On the plus side, I am in a multi employer plan.
Sounds like you should be planning a bit better, and saving a lot more.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Even if they hired you into management it is a tenuous position at best. Perhaps 1 of 10 on road supervisors make it to retirement.
Out of the 9 that don't, I wonder how many that their conscious bothered them about they way they were trained to treat the employees so the left the company. You just don't treat a human being that way. That was the most important reason I became a union steward.