Strike talk reaching mainstream media

UPS1982

I understand that, however they wont and can't get the workforce for Sunday. What they want is Sunday delivery for peak. That' the main reason
That's an excellent point. I could definitely see UPS using that language if they got behind during peak. This is where the union has to create language to allow the option but protect us from UPS abusing it.

UPS1982

That is really how the union should negotiate. You want Sunday delivery? Okay, but only if market conditions make it necessary. Now give us this in return. You want a lower wage full-time position? Okay, but they can only deliver Sat, Sun, and only one day during a Mon thru Fri period. Now bend over because we want this in return. Give them what they want, but create language that protects us and our jobs, so we can get what we want.

OrionsBitch

Not...
I wonder how the public will react to this?

Existing full-time drivers now earn an average of $36 an hour, or roughly $75,000 a year.
A successful strike will come down to marketing. If we can make the public see it's about long hours, working conditions, and treatment they will back us. But if UPS spends more and shows how well paid we are you can forget about a public backing.

You've got to play on emotions to win.

Example:

" Because of long hours UPS workers don't get to see their kids grow up."

"Harsh working environments lead to a high percentage of UPS drivers receiving work related/career ending injuries and surgery. With UPS threatening to take benefits this will cause thousands of employees to be left crippled without a job."

"Management is trained to harrass employees and threaten their lively hood to increase production."

Gotta get stuff out there like that. The public will eat that :censored2: for breakfast lunch and dinner. But if all they here is UPS drivers make x amount if dollars, well they will pretty much day "they make way more than me so :censored2: them."

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Not sure why ups wants Sunday so bad. They dont have the workforce for it nor will they find the workforce for it.

UPS doesn't want Sunday delivery, they want the option in case the competition starts offering it. If FedEx went to all our shippers and said we will deliver on Sunday if you give us all your volume, UPS has to be able to counter. If the contract doesn't allow UPS the flexibility, we cannot compete.

It’s not always about the final mile delivery. They also want Saturday and Sunday so feeders can move volume and not make premium pay for weekend work. Some supplements have this protected, others don’t.

I understand that, however they wont and can't get the workforce for Sunday. What they want is Sunday delivery for peak. That' the main reason

Now you’re thinking.

brown_trousers

A successful strike will come down to marketing. If we can make the public see it's about long hours, working conditions, and treatment they will back us. But if UPS spends more and shows how well paid we are you can forget about a public backing.

Example:

"Harsh working environments lead to a high percentage of UPS drivers receiving work related/career ending injuries and surgery. With UPS threatening to take benefits this will cause thousands of employees to be left crippled without a job."

"Management is trained to harrass employees and threaten their lively hood to increase production."

Gotta get stuff out there like that. The public will eat that :censored2: for breakfast lunch and dinner. But if all they here is UPS drivers make x amount if dollars, well they will pretty much day "they make way more than me so :censored2: them."
I dont think we can count on good marketing. We teamsters can barely maintain a functional website, let alone a national marketing campaign

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Just had someone drive up to me and ask if we're really going on strike in August. I said we might, we're all just about done with 12-14 hour days and harassment. He said well you guys work really hard. I saw you here working at 10 at night during Christmas. I support you guys.

km3

How about the poor part times that might make 10k a year...

I made $23k last year. Looking to be approximately the same this year.

UPS doesn't want Sunday delivery, they want the option in case the competition starts offering it. If FedEx went to all our shippers and said we will deliver on Sunday if you give us all your volume, UPS has to be able to counter. If the contract doesn't allow UPS the flexibility, we cannot compete.

Competition already offers Sunday delivery. I ordered some stuff off Amazon last week, on the 1st. I padded my order with some inexpensive (but necessary things I would still need to buy one way or the other) to qualify for free shipping, and selected the free shipping option for 5-8 business days.

It was delivered to my doorstep on Sunday night at 9pm. No :censored2:, they didn't knock, but I was awake and heard the scanner whoever/whichever service delivered it used. Opened my door and there it was.

Example:

When you mention the harsh working conditions, don't forget to mention how UPS sent two people off the deep end since 2014. Not too many workplaces have had multiple mass shootings in such a short time. UPS is one of a kind in that regard.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I made $23k last year. Looking to be approximately the same this year.

Competition already offers Sunday delivery. I ordered some stuff off Amazon last week, on the 1st. I padded my order with some inexpensive (but necessary things I would still need to buy one way or the other) to qualify for free shipping, and selected the free shipping option for 5-8 business days.

It was delivered to my doorstep on Sunday night at 9pm. No :censored2:, they didn't knock, but I was awake and heard the scanner whoever/whichever service delivered it used. Opened my door and there it was.

When you mention the harsh working conditions, don't forget to mention how UPS sent two people off the deep end since 2014. Not too many workplaces have had multiple mass shootings in such a short time. UPS is one of a kind in that regard.
it will be you